PDA

View Full Version : Lighting w fancy LED Flashlights?

Frank Petronio
15-Jan-2010, 00:19
Wonder if anyone here has tried lighting tight shots with some of the fancy $100-plus 200-lumen (whatever those are) tactical SWAT team flashlights that are being marketed to hunters and vigilantes?

They seem pretty darn bright....

anchored
15-Jan-2010, 02:05
I've never tried those expensive SWAT flashlights, but have used $35 2-million candle-power spotlights to good effect...

jp
15-Jan-2010, 05:31
Anchored; You mean the deer spotting light?

I think they are both hard to look at, LED being more so. I haven't used them for photography because I'm sure it'd make people squint.

Frank Petronio
15-Jan-2010, 05:57
Well my Halogens (and strobes) will make people squint too, it all depends where you put them!

I'm looking for something with a nice light pattern -- no rings or weird hot spots...

BetterSense
15-Jan-2010, 07:08
I'm practically a flashlight fetishist. I have dozens of them. You don't need to spend $200 dollars, in fact, the large, expensive manufacturers' LED offerings are hopelessly obsolete and behind the times. I used to be a big SureFire fan until the 3W LEDs started coming out. Since LED technology changes several times per year, chinese brands are always several generations ahead. A middle-of-the-road brand is Fenix. I have their L1P flashlight and it's been very reliable. You can buy tons of bright LED flashlights on Dealextreme.com for less than $20. In fact you can get pretty decent 3W LED lights at Home Depot, etc. now.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.3607
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.12066
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.9070

Most flashlights unsuitable for lighting people or still-lifes because the beams are too tight. You would either need to diffuse it with a mini-softbox or use a special wide-beam light. Wide-beam lights are not that popular but are very very useful, the Sundrop is one example. I couldn't afford a sundrop so I made a wide-beam light by putting a bare 3w LED emitter in a mini-maglight shell with no reflector. This makes a nearly perfect point source which is very practical for indoor use since there is no real beam to aim. I haven't used it for photography but I suppose this kind of reflectorless LED could have applications for still-life replacing incandescents or something. I also made my safelight out of a red LED.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2630/3800889437_e84ea40d5d_b.jpg

Frank Petronio
15-Jan-2010, 08:25
I started looking at that Candlepower forum and it makes large-format photographers seem pretty sane and normal!

anchored
15-Jan-2010, 09:03
To clarify... I believe the unit I referred to is intended for mechanics and campers... about 12" diameter with handle and flat base. Has a wider beam than deer spotters. Used by sweeping across subject as a very large paintbrush and still using long exposure times (10-sec or so). I've used for lighting small buildings and tree lines for night exposures.

Yes... does have a weird ring but sweeping motion cancels it out. Have never used for people... for sure would make them squint.

Gordon Moat
15-Jan-2010, 11:48
Look for units that have the CREE true white LEDs, otherwise they will not be as even and with consistent colour temperature. Obviously if you shoot B/W the colour temperature would seem to be less of an issue, but it will also affect the relative brightness.

I actually made my own set-up, including a high tech dimmer switch that works with LEDs. Ultimately I think it could work well for video lighting, but I don't like using continuous lighting with people.

Thebes
15-Jan-2010, 20:54
I used a Fenix 215(?) lumen CREE LED light with my d-slr a few times. I found the light to be "thin" in terms of color gamut, somewhat blue and too uneven. Recently I used a walmart cheapy with my LF to fill in shadows on my last couple of shots as the sun went down, this was weaker and I was able to paint it more evenly, but alas the exposure was a couple of stops under... perhaps with more experience I'll get it right.

Btw, my rather expensive Fenix lasted slightly less than a year, only about 8 sets of batteries, before burning its control circuit. I've lost several other much cheaper LED lights to dead controllers as well. I don't for a minute believe the suggested lifespan of these product, though I've had excellent luck with Petzl's Tikka headlamp series which are really handy for hiking in the dark.

KayPhelps
22-May-2013, 06:29
Wonder if anyone here has tried lighting tight shots with some of the fancy $100-plus 200-lumen (whatever those are) tactical SWAT team flashlights that are being marketed to hunters and vigilantes?

They seem pretty darn bright....

LED flashlights prices have come down in recent times but there is huge improvement in quality. They now come with good brightness and long lasting batteries. Very worth to purchase:):)

KayPhelps
23-May-2013, 02:23
LED flashlights (http://www.robustbuy.com/led-lighting-gadgets-led-flashlights-c-505_1027_730.html) prices have come down in recent times but there is huge improvement in quality. They now come with good brightness and long lasting batteries. Very worth to purchase:):)

What are your thoughts about led flashlights?

dave clayton
23-May-2013, 03:20
just tried a self portrait lit with an Modified oldham miners lamp will post results shortly

BrianHook
11-May-2014, 00:20
LED flashlights are very helpful during any emergency. These lights not only help in emergency but are also very powerful tool during any emergency.

Shootar401
14-May-2014, 21:28
LED flashlights are very helpful during any emergency. These lights not only help in emergency but are also very powerful tool during any emergency.

This one didn't get through the spam filter

AtlantaTerry
27-Jun-2014, 23:56
I use LED flashlights that are powered by a #18650 battery. I also used them as kickers on a feature film where I was Director of Photography and we were filming on city streets at night. Because I had the camera's White Balance set to "Tungsten" the LED flashlights rendered blue which helped divide the subject from the background.

All my 18650 LED flashlights come from eBay vendors. I wear one in a ripstop Nylon case on my belt everywhere I go. (Yes, I am a geek!)

AtlantaTerry
27-Jun-2014, 23:58
I use LED flashlights that are powered by a #18650 battery. I also used them as kickers on a feature film where I was Director of Photography and we were filming on city streets at night. Because I had the camera's White Balance set to "Tungsten" the LED flashlights rendered blue which helped divide the subject from the background.

All my 18650 LED flashlights come from eBay vendors. I wear one in a ripstop Nylon case on my belt everywhere I go. (Yes, I am a geek!) Buy the belt case from the same vendor as the flashlight to be sure of a good fit. Often you can find a package deal of a flashlight + belt case.

I searching eBay, use terms such as "UltraFire" and "CREE" and "LED" and "18650".