PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Okotoks, Alberta, Canada

Scott Walker
14-Jan-2010, 10:47
I've recently decided to take the plunge back into large-format photography. Back in the late 80s I quit my job in order to pursue a career as a photographer. I was accepted into the Alberta College of Art, but after the first semester I realized that I could become wealthy making jewelry, so I switched majors. That was 20 years ago and now it has been 15 years since I've taken my large-format camera out of the case. That is all about to change, I am currently building a darkroom in my house and in search of a 4 x 5 enlarger. I dusted off my Ansal Adams book collection, and once I have the darkroom finished and a place to develop film I will be back at it. I am really hoping to be able to post a new image or two by the end of this month even if they are just contact prints for now.

redrockcoulee
14-Jan-2010, 14:41
Scott

Welcome from a little to the east. There is a Calgary large format user group with emails and they have meetings once a month. I have yet to attend a meeting as am 3 hours away and they are on a Tuesday night. I do not have the info here at work but it is perhaps a Yahoo group. I will post the name this evening or weekend unless Eric Rose or any other Calgary user does so first.

Go out and shoot while this weather lasts :) You have come to the right place.

Ivan from the Hat

Vick Vickery
14-Jan-2010, 15:49
Welcome to group therepy! :) The darkroom and the LF camera should provide some diversion when you don't want to brave the cold up in the far north!!

walter23
14-Jan-2010, 23:22
Welcome. There's a good group in Calgary, if you ever want to meet any locals (ex-Calgary myself).

I've recently decided to take the plunge back into large-format photography. Back in the late 80s I quit my job in order to pursue a career as a photographer. I was accepted into the Alberta College of Art, but after the first semester I realized that I could become wealthy making jewelry, so I switched majors. That was 20 years ago and now it has been 15 years since I've taken my large-format camera out of the case. That is all about to change, I am currently building a darkroom in my house and in search of a 4 x 5 enlarger. I dusted off my Ansal Adams book collection, and once I have the darkroom finished and a place to develop film I will be back at it. I am really hoping to be able to post a new image or two by the end of this month even if they are just contact prints for now.

jim kitchen
15-Jan-2010, 00:17
Dear Scott,

Welcome back to large format image making... :)

jim k

redrockcoulee
15-Jan-2010, 10:09
calgary-large-format-users-group@googlegroups.com

These folks may be able to assist you in locating an enlarger as well. My friend got a 4X5 and myself a 5X7 through contacts with the Calgary group