PDA

View Full Version : The Last Gowland 8x10

John NYC
12-Jan-2010, 18:23
Just wanted to let you all know that I received a very kind response from Alice and Peter Gowland regarding my 8x10 comparison worksheet. Lovely people, by the way.

In it, he told me that he is retiring so doesn't need to be on the list... and mentioned he has exactly one 8x10 camera left (with a 9" slotted travel rod). Going, going...

John

Merg Ross
12-Jan-2010, 21:49
Just wanted to let you all know that I received a very kind response from Alice and Peter Gowland regarding my 8x10 comparison worksheet. Lovely people, by the way.

In it, he told me that he is retiring so doesn't need to be on the list... and mentioned he has exactly one 8x10 camera left (with a 9" slotted travel rod). Going, going...

John

John, thanks for posting. Alice and Peter are truly special people. Peter deserves a place in the Large Format Photography Hall of Fame; he has contributed so much to photography over a very long career. Best of health to the Gowland's.

Frank Petronio
12-Jan-2010, 22:08
It should be a collector's item, he is the photographer's photographer.

Merg Ross
12-Jan-2010, 22:14
It should be a collector's item, he is the photographer's photographer.

He surely is. How about the Gowlandflex 4x5 TLR. Now, there was a real camera!

bsimison
13-Jan-2010, 05:06
I called him back in mid-December to ask about getting one of his 8x10 cameras. We chatted for quite a while about the camera and his work. He said he'd call back when he determined if he had all the pieces to make one, but he never did.