PDA

View Full Version : 210mm or 240mm for Portraits?

brent79
10-Jan-2010, 18:59
Hello,
I recently purchased a Wista VX to use for portraits in the field. The camera has a 12 inch bellows draw and I was wondering what a good lens would be to get head and shoulders portraits or even tight face portraits? Was considering either a 210mm or a 240mm? If anyone has any advice or experience with these focal lengths for portraits would be greatly appreciated
thanks in advance
Brent

BradS
10-Jan-2010, 19:30
The 210mm focal length is my personal favorite for people shots on 4x5. It just feels right. I mainly shoot people photos and so, have not one but six (!) different lenses in the 210mm focal length. Each has its own "look" - personality if you will.

I've also tried shooting head shots with both 300mm and 240mm on 4x5....and I just don't like the look. The people come out looking flat and dimensionless. The 240mm plasmats are big and heavy and not my favorite (I keep one on the 8x10).

Given the geometrical constraints imposed by your camera here are some ideas to think about....

with a 210mm focal length, the closest you can focus is : 700mm from lens to subject but with a 240mm focal length, the closest you'd be able to focus with a 12 inch bellows is 1.2 meters.

In my mind, the choise is an easy one...the 210mm focal length is simply the best choice.

brent79
10-Jan-2010, 20:01
Thanks Brad,
Since you have 6 different lenses perhaps you can recommend one :)

Ive been looking at these:
Schneider 210mm f/5.6 Apo-Symmar
Rodenstock 210mm f/5.6 Apo-Sironar-S Lens
Rodenstock 210mm f/5.6 Apo-Sironar-N Lens

Lots of difference in price, Is it a case of you get what you pay for?
I'd like to do a portrait series with close tight face shots, maybe a bit of shoulders with a view to blowing up wall size prints so I dont want to compromise on quality

Thanks in advance!
Brent

Gem Singer
10-Jan-2010, 20:21
Consider the Fujinon f9 240A.

It will do everything you need it to do.

Mounted in a Copal 0 shutter, it is the ideal lens to use with your 4x5 Wista VX.

Lachlan 717
10-Jan-2010, 20:39
Consider the Fujinon f9 240A.

It will do everything you need it to do.

Mounted in a Copal 0 shutter, it is the ideal lens to use with your 4x5 Wista VX.

Amazing lens, but is it too sharp for portraits?

Gem Singer
10-Jan-2010, 21:54
I have a Soft FX filter that softens the image and removes wrinkles, when I use the lens for portraiture.

The OP mentioned in another thread that he wanted a lens that could be used for general field work as well as portraiture.

Ken Lee
10-Jan-2010, 21:58
You can also find Tessars and Heliars in the lovely 210mm focal length, in shutters that are old, but which work just fine after many years. They open to f/4.5, which makes focusing easier, and have circular apertures, which give lovely background blur. They may not have wide coverage or modern coatings, but they are better for portraits in my humble opinion.

They are often more affordable too.

Here's one (http://www.kenleegallery.com/images/portraits/29.jpg) made with a 250mm Tessar on 4x5, and here's one (http://www.kenleegallery.com/images/portraits/2.jpg) made with a 210 Heliar.

BradS
11-Jan-2010, 08:18
Thanks Brad,
Since you have 6 different lenses perhaps you can recommend one :)

Ive been looking at these:
Schneider 210mm f/5.6 Apo-Symmar
Rodenstock 210mm f/5.6 Apo-Sironar-S Lens
Rodenstock 210mm f/5.6 Apo-Sironar-N Lens

Lots of difference in price, Is it a case of you get what you pay for?
I'd like to do a portrait series with close tight face shots, maybe a bit of shoulders with a view to blowing up wall size prints so I dont want to compromise on quality

Thanks in advance!
Brent

Brent,

The lenses you list are all exceptionally good....I am sure any one of them would be suited to your need. I have the following lenses in the 210mm focal length.

Fuji 210mm f/5.6 Fujinon-W
Rodentock 210mm f/5.6 Sironar-N
Schneider 210mm f/6.1 Xenar (I have two!)
Rodenstock 210mm f/6.3 Ysarex
Rodenstock 210mm f/6.8 Geronar

The first two don't get used much - too big and heavy and the Fujinon is just way, way too sharp. People do not like it when you can see every pore and blemish in skin of their face. My favorite for all subjects has been the Xenar and the Ysarex. The geronar is also a favorite....like a modern cooke triplet....and very inexpensive!

Mike1234
11-Jan-2010, 14:47
For 4x5:

150 for full-length
210 for waist up
300 for h/s
450 for tight into the face

Perspective is a matter of subject to camera distance. Use the appropriate lens to crop as desired.

eddie
11-Jan-2010, 17:26
i like a bit of a longer lens so i vote 240. i too would follow kens ideas for a lens. also check out the tessar f4.5 or 3.5 if you can find them. great lenses and very very cheap as well.

have fun .

eddie

William McEwen
11-Jan-2010, 17:35
Back when I shot 4x5, I had only one lens, and photographed people more than anything else. I had a 210 Rodenstock, and it was perfect -- both in focal length and resolution. If I were to go back to 4x5 (I only shoot 8x10 now) I would definitely go for a 210 Rodenstock.

BradS
11-Jan-2010, 17:45
i like a bit of a longer lens so i vote 240....snip....

if my arithmetic is correct, the closest one can focus a conventional 240mm lens with 12 inches (~300mm) of bellows is: 1200mm. That would yield a reproduction ratio of 0.25 (again, if I'm doing this right)....I don't think that gets you a "tight head shot" on 4x5....at least not one that comes close to filling the long dimension of the film. The top of my head is about 300mm above the top of my shoulder so, the image of my head would be.....0.25 * 300mm == 75mm which is far short of the 127mm nominal dimension of the long side of the 4x5 negative.

So, in this case, I don't think that 240mm is gonna work for the OP.

Now, if we were to consider a lens of telephoto design...different story of course.

eddie
11-Jan-2010, 20:33
So, in this case, I don't think that 240mm is gonna work for the OP.

damn!

forget the lens then.....get more bellows first! (top hat)

Armin Seeholzer
12-Jan-2010, 03:11
The older Rodenstock Rotelar 270mm was a good lens for 4x5 Portraits its even good corrected for near distances if I remember right!
210 mm seems a bit on the short side in my opinion for tight head shoots.

My 2 cents, Armin

Steve Hamley
12-Jan-2010, 05:28
I think with 12" of bellows a telephoto is about the only reasonable choice. I have a friend using a Tele-Arton with good results, and another that's also using the 270mm Rotelar with excellent results.

Cheers, Steve