PDA

View Full Version : Paper; Economical Alternative to Ilford

Pawlowski6132
9-Jan-2010, 10:56
So, I've been using Ilford since I started my darkroom but, I'm still in the learning process and am just burning through paper. Is there an econocmical alternative I can use? I know there are many but, would hope to get some good advice to narrow it down to one or two choices. I know Feestyle has a good selection and I respect the opinions here so...

thanx.

I currently use a RC VC Pearl

Thanx!

willwilson
9-Jan-2010, 11:25
The Arista brand papers are fine and cheaper than Ilford, but it's also important to learn your materials. You can save quite a bit of money if you know what to expect from a particular paper instead of having to burn through 8 or 10 or more sheets to get a finished print.

I use a variety of papers including Ilford. The nice thing about Ilford RC Pearl is that exposures translate fairly well to Ilford MGIV FB with minimal adjustment. This allows you to run work prints on RC and jump to FB when you have better honed your exposure.

Wet darkroom work is expensive there is just no real way around it.

Pawlowski6132
9-Jan-2010, 11:45
Thanx Will. I'm aiming to get to that point but, I'm just making dumb mistakes now and practicing dodging/burning, etc. Hate to work out the kinks to my process on "expensive" paper.

jeroldharter
9-Jan-2010, 11:56
If cost is your primary issue, then get Arista Paper from Freestyle but be aware that they periodically change manufacturers so don't get too attached.

For a little more, Kentmere would be a good, stable choice. Availability is excellent also.

herrvall
9-Jan-2010, 22:20
I use Fotokemika Varycon. It's a little bit less expensive, and you can get beautiful results. The paper more prone to scratches, however. It also has a bit of a learning curve; it handles differently than other types.

BetterSense
9-Jan-2010, 22:33
I use a lot of Arista EDU Ultra, RC VC, glossy. It's cheap, it looks just wonderful if you do your thing, and I like the finish. It's more like Ilford satin than it is like Ilford glossy. The things to watch out for are to keep your developer fresh (it goes warm and slows down a lot when my dektol gets old), and it will curl, unlike ilford.

tgtaylor
10-Jan-2010, 10:16
Ilford packages their 8x10 RC Pearl in packages of 1000 sheets for about 50 cents a sheet. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/114742-REG/Ilford_1972272_Multigrade_IV_RC_DLX.html#specifications

Upfront its a lot of dough but you'll end up with good paper and save money too.

SamReeves
10-Jan-2010, 10:29
Another vote for the Arista line. Even with sales tax, it still comes out to be less than what's stocked at B&H.

BradS
10-Jan-2010, 14:40
Arista is less expensive and it is pretty good paper but, it is no where near as good as good old Ilford MGIV...and it really is completely different from Ilford in use too. So, if you learn how it reacts and develop a feel for Arista...that 'feel' will not translate well to Ilford....no big deal just don't think you're going to easily go back and forth between them.

jp
10-Jan-2010, 18:33
For a neutral paper, I like the fomaspeed vc rc stuff. It's fairly inexpensive (much less than ilford), and I like it a little better.

For warmtone, I'm willing to spend the extra dough on Ilford Multigrade Warmtone VC RC paper.