PDA

View Full Version : Using an Epson 1680 Pro to scan film.. Help?

unkgowa
9-Jan-2010, 10:45
I recently bought a good example with the transparency unit for very cheap, and am having great difficulty in getting it to connect to my computer.. I am using a USB connection, I think I have all the right software and it turns on fine but I never get further than an error message when I try and launch it.

The error message reads, "Cannot properly communicate with scanner. Make sure the scanner is on, properly connected, and properly set up to scan. If using a SCSI connection, restart your computer."

That's as far as I've got.. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated..

jasongraaf
9-Jan-2010, 11:43
Is there a travel lock, and if so, is it off? It took me many hours to figure that out on my Epson 2450.

unkgowa
9-Jan-2010, 15:01
There is a transporting screw which you have to remove, but I've done that and I'm pretty sure there isn't a travel lock.. What's it look like, is it a switch?

JRFrench
9-Jan-2010, 15:12
I have the Perfection 1640 and windows found drivers for it by itself online. There is a carriage lock on the left hand side near the back but its pretty obvious and Im sure you've found it. My scanner makes horrible noises if its left locked.

unkgowa
9-Jan-2010, 15:41
I just double checked and there is a lock thing on the back, but I've already unlocked it.. Thanks anyway..

venchka
13-Jan-2010, 09:02
Did you install all the drivers correctly? Epson has drivers for the scanner. Download the latest and greatest for you computer.

Turn on the scanner first. Let it boot itself and be fully ready. Then start Epson Scan. it should work. Mine works fine.

I discovered that both panes glass, bed & transparency unit, are very easy to remove and clean. It helps.

Good luck!

unkgowa
13-Jan-2010, 09:25
I'm pretty certain I did that.. How are you connecting yours to the computer? And what computer are you using?

Thanks..

venchka
13-Jan-2010, 09:28
Firewire. Dell with 2 Xeon CPUs. 4 gb Ram. Windows XP Home & SP 3 32 bit.

As I recall, there were at least 3 drivers that I downloaded. I do recall one of those drivers had an application where I selected the scanner to use. That may have been a network thing. My computer is stand alone, no network. The Firewire works GREAT!

venchka
13-Jan-2010, 09:39
Here is the web page for the Epson 1680 drivers:

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support/supDetail.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&oid=27543&prodoid=335337&infoType=Downloads&platform=All

unkgowa
13-Jan-2010, 09:50
That is where I downloaded my driver from, although I only downloaded one and I'm using a Mac with USB.. I'll have a look at the other drivers and see what can be done.. Thanks again..

venchka
13-Jan-2010, 10:06
The key is starting the scanner-turn it on-before launching the scanning software. Did you try a different USB port on the computer if you have more than one?

unkgowa
13-Jan-2010, 11:39
I tried with a different usb port and it's no different and I can't see why I should need any other drivers.. I'm turning the scanner on and waiting till it's ready before I launch the software as well.. Do you have the 'Epson Scan Settings' application? Because I just launched it and even though the scanner is on and ready it says it isn't connected or ready, it must be a connection problem..

unkgowa
13-Jan-2010, 11:42
Do you think you could give me a link to the sort of cable your using? My usb cable didn't come with the scanner and might be causing the problem..

venchka
13-Jan-2010, 11:53
I am using the Firewire port on the scanner and a matching Firewire port my computer. If your scanner has the Firewire port and if your Mac has a Firewire port, all you need is a Firewire cable.

venchka
13-Jan-2010, 12:23
Hopefully Ken Lee can shed some light on the problem.

Was the scanner working for the person you bought it from?????????????????????????????

unkgowa
13-Jan-2010, 13:33
I'll have a look into the firewire thing.. The person I bought from assured me that they had used it several times from new..

jim kitchen
13-Jan-2010, 13:48
Dear unkgowa

If you have an older Mac, then you should use a Firewire 400 to 400 cable, and if you happen to have a newer Mac, as purchased in the last six months or so, then you must purchase a 400 to 800 firewire cable. The newer Macs do not have any Firewire 400 connections. If you have a new Mac, and you cannot find a Firewire 400 to 800 cable, you could purchase the Firewire 400 cable and purchase a firewire 400 to 800 adapter, such as an adapter unit made by Sonnet.

You could be experiencing a bad USB cable... :)

jim k

venchka
13-Jan-2010, 15:21
Also, the firewire card in the scanner was an added option. It's easy to see on the lower rear of the scanner. However, since it was an option, not all units had the Firewire card.

Can you try hooking the scanner to another computer? A notebook computer perhaps? I know the 1680 is a handful so moving it around is no fun.

Did you get all 4 film holders and the CDs and operating manual? The Firewire card is illustrated in the owner's manual.

The manual online. Page 39 & 40 explain the Firewire port.

http://files.support.epson.com/pdf/exp168/exp168uu3.pdf

venchka
13-Jan-2010, 15:22
Page 42 of the manual:

There is a shipping screw in the transparency unit also.

JRFrench
13-Jan-2010, 15:50
USB cables are a dime a dozen, and it should just be a standard USB-A to USB-B so Id be surprised if you dont have one for another appliance, or a friend with one. Eliminate that first.

I have been using vuescan with mixed results for my Perfection 1640, I just changed to the Epson Twain Utility today, you use it by opening it in photoshop, and it works much better.