PDA

View Full Version : nikkorW 105/f5.6

gari beet
9-Jan-2010, 04:24
I am interested in this as a lightwieght backpacking lens for 5x4. It is listed in the 5x4 lens comparison chart on this forum, where it has a circle of 155@f22 so it does cover on paper at least. ahas anyone got experience of shooting one that ca confirm/deny amount of coverage?
I will use it for mainly vista/landscapes so apart from some tilt I don't expect to use much movement in reality.

Thanks in advance

Gari

Armin Seeholzer
9-Jan-2010, 05:35
It is not really usable for 4x5 its just a 6x9 lens in my opinion.
I have the 135 mm and even with it I get sometimes somewhere dark corners, but this is really a 4x5 lens with 200mm at f 22.
Mine is just a Rodenstock but has the same covering power then the nikkor.
The Nikkor 135mm is only 15g more weight!
The other poss. would be the 90 f 8 SW Nikkor wich is a bit less then double the weight of the 105mm.

Just my 2cts. Armin

Mike1234
9-Jan-2010, 10:22
If you need no shifts, rise/fall or front swing/tilt, and have everything centered then the 105 Nikkor should be fine. You'll be limited to rear "axis" swings/tilts.

David Karp
9-Jan-2010, 11:39
There was a 105mm Fujinon NW that had a bit more coverage (162mm image circle) and is usable with 4x5. www.subclub.org/fujinon/index.htm

ki6mf
9-Jan-2010, 12:56
I have one and as was stated its a design for 6X9. With a very small amount of swing and tilt you will vignette the image. It may work fine for an image with no movements. Better to get a wide angle designed for movements on a 4X5 or 5X7 camera

Gem Singer
9-Jan-2010, 13:01
Hi David,

The Fuji 105SW weighs 570 gms. and is a fairly large size wasp-waist wide angle. It's a great lens, but not a lightweight back packing lens.

The Nikkor 105W is a tiny lens that only weighs 185gms.

I use mine with a 6x9 roll film back. It was not meant to be used as a wide angle lens for 4x5.

David Karp
9-Jan-2010, 22:35
Hi Doc,

We are talking about two different lenses. The 105 you are talking about is big and has a much bigger image circle than the one I am talking about.

The 105 f/5.6 Fujinon NW was the shortest focal length in the NW series. It is a very small lens with a much smaller filter size than the one you are thinking of. It sits in a Copal No. 0 shutter, and has an image circle larger than the Nikkor 105. Check out this site: www.subclub.org/fujinon/byseries.htm.

I have long lusted after one to put on my Crown Graphic, but have never coughed up the money when one came available.

Gem Singer
9-Jan-2010, 22:51
I stand corrected, David.

Thought you were referring to the Fuji 105SW.

I purchased an SW from Jim a long time ago. Sent it back when I discovered that it had a severe case of Fujiitis (similar to Schneideritis, it effected a few early Fuji lenses)

sanchi heuser
11-Jan-2010, 10:20
I am interested in this as a lightwieght backpacking lens for 5x4. It is listed in the 5x4 lens comparison chart on this forum, where it has a circle of 155@f22 so it does cover on paper at least. ahas anyone got experience of shooting one that ca confirm/deny amount of coverage?
I will use it for mainly vista/landscapes so apart from some tilt I don't expect to use much movement in reality.

Thanks in advance

Gari

Hi Gari,

I used this lens for several months.

IMO it's a good lens but as Armin,Wally and Gem said, it is
not really suitable for 4x5. I think the image is to dark in the corners
even with no movements.
For 6x9cm it's a great lens.

sanchi