PDA

View Full Version : Any suggestions for head when using Horseman L57(monorail)

flakrp
3-Jan-2010, 02:03
Happy new year, everyone.

I'm a amateur who shoot 35mm, MF but recently I'm moving to LF and shoot 4x5 with Wista 45 and 5x7 with Horseman L57(monorail), both with Symmar 210mm. I shoot landscape and natural for most of the time, sometimes do macro, architecture in the future maybe. I pack my stuff in shoulder bag or backpack and moving by bicycle or on foot(I didn't pack L57 to use in field yet, but tend to).

I'm using Gitzo GT2340L and G1275M right now but want to find a tripod head (used is ok) to support Horseman L57 (about 14-16lbs. w/ lens and have a 46cm rail without extension). I did a lot search on LF forum and got confused. There are several kinds of head and I can't get an conclusion for monorail.

I have 2 ball heads for 35mm and MF and for some time I found it difficult to level the camera at one time. And I also don't like the release-lock-release of pan-tilt head. So I think I'd prefer a gear head.

Question 1: Is there any other gear head suitable for monorail except Bogen/Manfrotto 410,405?
I checked 410 and 405 in the local store and prefer 405 because of its ease to use. Besides, the 405 has a higher max load of 7.5kg(16lbs). But I do not like the Quick Release. I don't know whether it could hold a 46cm/7kg(16lbs) monorail very tightly. So is there other gear head suitable? Or should I remodeling the quick release of 405 by myself like someone did?

Question 2: Which kind of Quick release has the capability to hold such big monorail? Or should I use the bolt directly to fix the camera?

Question 3: Is Leveling base more suitable for monorail camera?
I seldom level a camera in weird position and may not do so on a LF. So the tilt angle could be down to 30 degree in every directions or maybe less. I found several Leveling base head like GH5380S or other products but never had a experience to try one. So how about a leveling base?

Question 4: Is there some combination of using leveling base and some other head?

Sorry for the long boring questions and I'd appreciate if you could tell me your opinions.

BTW, I don't want to spend TOO MUCH money on the head, I mean, not some 1600 bucks.. around 500 is OK if this is a 'one time buy' or for a long time use.
And if there is any problems on my tripod GT-2340L combo(I got it new from auction on a very pretty price), I'll be happy to input another heavier 'heavy duty' tripod.(Actually, I'm interesting in Feisol's tripod or other similar products, I hope the tripod weight is around 5lbs)

Thank you.

Franklin.Q

Phil Hudson
4-Jan-2010, 00:23
I can't recommend a tripod head for you but for the quick release Horseman themselves make a great device (I think it is called a quick shoe) that is designed for their L-series monorail cameras.

It is very robust and sturdy and I use and recommend it (I use it for a different camera). I'm not sure if it is still available new but I bought mine used. The plate fits the L-series monorail support bracket.

I use it with a Linhof 77mm "Large Levelling Head" which is a perfect fit, but might not be suitable for long rail/macro work.

flakrp
4-Jan-2010, 00:44
I can't recommend a tripod head for you but for the quick release Horseman themselves make a great device (I think it is called a quick shoe) that is designed for their L-series monorail cameras.

It is very robust and sturdy and I use and recommend it (I use it for a different camera). I'm not sure if it is still available new but I bought mine used. The plate fits the L-series monorail support bracket.

I use it with a Linhof 77mm "Large Levelling Head" which is a perfect fit, but might not be suitable for long rail/macro work.

Phil Hudson,
Thank you for your advice.
I'm in Japan so I think maybe it would be easier to find the piece you mentioned about on used market, or I will just ask the manufacture.