PDA

View Full Version : Field Apron

lenser
1-Jan-2010, 21:04
Okay, I re-sized them. Lets see if I can make them stick this time. In case this doesn't attach to the original thread, it is in reference to a tool belt found at home depot that will make by far the best field apron I've ever seen and it is less than $20.00. Hope they have them in stock where you live.

Dave Jeffery
2-Jan-2010, 05:06
That's always the problem when guys go to Home Depot!!!!

I considered buying a belt system before and it seemed that having the pouches close easily to protect from elements such as unexpected blowing dust and other environmental contaminants would be a good idea. As I mostly hike to shoot landscapes, carrying even a little extra weight is not good unless there is a meaningful trade off. The professional camera belt systems seemed too bulky and potentially heavy to carry just for the conveinience of having the gear on my hips while taking pictures.

The belt that you have suggested seems like a great idea for short treks but I would still like to figure out a cheap, lightweight system for longer hikes.

It would be nice to open my backpack and just pull out a light belt with all the accessories and film already loaded in, and just clip it on my hips, which would be quicker and also keep things up off the ground. The loupe and reading glasses have neck cords, and if I need a light I use a headlamp, and my meter fits in a pocket so it is mostly having easy access to the film and a couple other small things that woud be helpful.

The pouches that the UPS drivers carry for their package scanners look to be just about the right size for film holders, or Quickloads, and are very lightweight. One of the drivers was going to give me a couple of old ones to check out but that never happened. Those pouches must be plentiful and cheap somewhere but I have not checked to see if they are the correct size for film holders. A few of those canvas (?) UPS pouches on some 1" webbing with a quick release might be a lot lighter and possibly be simple to close using some velcro.

I like your idea and don't mean to hijack your thread but I wonder if anyone has any other lightweight belt systems or ideas? Currently I use half of a large thick garbage bag, which I roll out as a small tarp to set things on, but it would be nice to get things up off the ground.

Any more ideas??

Thanks Lenser!

lenser
2-Jan-2010, 07:59
Hijack away, Dave. Other than photo backpacks, I've not seen a great deal about carrying systems for accessories other than the old Zone VI apron which looked to be somewhat limited to me and of course no longer available except on the auction site.

Maybe this is a good time for a real sharing forum on what we use or have adapted for this purpose. I love the UPS bag idea. I never thought of that, but I have really fallen for all the pockets, and slots, and hangers that this system has. Keeping that weight on the hips and just the camera and tripod over one shoulder should be much easier on the back than my big backpack.

brian mcweeney
2-Jan-2010, 10:33
There are a lot of things available from the film/video industry that Grips use on belts that might work. Here's some examples:
http://www.filmtools.com/lindcraft.html

Vick Vickery
2-Jan-2010, 11:35
A tool belt can also be taken off and hung around your tripod legs...will work fine and take the weight off your hips while moving around the camera.

Ed Richards
2-Jan-2010, 12:28
I use a Kinesis belt system with suspenders. Its advantage over the tool belts is the that pockets are closed with a serious flap, so if you fall down the hill or have to run from a gator, you do not lose your lenses. It fits into a real backpack for carrying, along with the camera and tripod strapped to the side. My lenses are generally large - I like lots of coverage and fast aperatures, so it is still heavy and a pain. But I am not a long distance hiker. It is handy to work out of the belt rather than the pack. I put a pocket for 6 holders on the side of the belt where I can reach it and one in back. If I shoot through the first six holders, I can take the belt off and exchange them.

darr
2-Jan-2010, 20:38
Guess what Santa brought me:

http://cameraartist.com/snaps/tomboy.jpg

-Darr :p

Dave Jeffery
3-Jan-2010, 04:06
That's the problem when Santa goes to Home Depot!!!

There are some nice choices available for a variety of uses.

The Kinesis belts Ed uses are top notch quality, are designed specifically for LF use, offer secure protection, nice padding, and would be perfect for people that don't do long hikes.

see the large format system half way down this page
http://kgear.com/sugsysnonslr.html

The tool belts are much less expensive and the pockets stay open which makes grabbing things easy and they seem fine for nice conditions and when the photographer is not the prey. A slip or fall could send some gear flying though. Are the pockets a good size for film holders?

The idea of wrapping the belt around the tripod legs is good as well.

For hiking I might just get some light, waterproof, rip stop fabric and have someone with a sewing machine make some pouches that are easy to get film holders in and out of. Those light pouches could slide onto a piece of webbing with a quick release and have just a few stitches to hold them in place at the best position on the belt. There should be a light cover flap as well which can be secured either rolled out of the way, or covering the pouches using velcro. This would be even more lightweight than the UPS pouches and be somewhat water resistant. It wouldn't be as comfortable as the other belts though.

I think I have figured out my light weight solution for long hikes so thanks!

P.S. I'll try and pick a color that doesn't anger or attract large predators.

ChrisN
3-Jan-2010, 04:40
Newswear make some interesting pouches and their "ChestVest" system. Their small press pouch (http://www.newswear.com/smallpdetail.htm) (add your own belt) will hold 5 film holders. I also use their documentary chest vest (http://www.newswear.com/mdocumentarydetail.htm) for some tasks when I want very ready access to film holders and light meter.

Paul O
3-Jan-2010, 05:12
Slightly different but still useful? Silvestri make a tripod apron - hangs from tripod yoke and velcros around 2 of the legs. Useful pouches fro film holders, lightmeters etc.

lenser
3-Jan-2010, 06:50
The pockets are more than ample for 4x5 holders and I think would hold 5x7's. Good point about items falling out and about a light shield for the holders. I may take the pockets to a lady I use for alterations and see if she can add some Velcro closures and flaps.

As to the Kinesis and other gear marketed to the pro shooters, great stuff but consider the price. Up to hundreds for a belt system for the high end pro gear, and $19.99 from Home Depot. Guess who wins in my book.

Darr, Since when did Barbie invade the hardware store? Amazing color. Should be able to wave that one in the air to attract the rescue choppers.

Ed Richards
3-Jan-2010, 08:31
I do not know if Home Depot carries them, but there are also ripstop nylon tool belts. They are little lighter and do not have the issue with leather preservative oil getting on the gear. I use nylon for my tool belt for tools. I agree that the Kinesis stuff does run into money, but I have not had the urge to buy any more camera bags since I got it.:-)

darr
3-Jan-2010, 09:41
Darr, Since when did Barbie invade the hardware store? Amazing color. Should be able to wave that one in the air to attract the rescue choppers.

Well it seems two gals got together and opened up a company called: "Tomboy Tools" and it caught my BF's eye. He told me he didn't think I needed a makeup apron, but maybe it could be used instead of my hunting vest. :p

-Darr

emo supremo
3-Jan-2010, 12:32
Army Navy store for web belt and suspenders. Leave the M-16 clips home and insert light meter, cables, loop etc. on belt. Roll up dark cloth around belt and secure with two blousing bands (bungee-type elastic). A bungee connecting the two suspenders keeps loop, binocs and other junk dangling on chest from banging around. A small, watertight backpack can also be fitted. Have jumped out of airplanes with this setup and never lost anything.
No quick answer for lens-on-belt though.