PDA

View Full Version : 11x14 Chamonix feedback?

Robert Fisher
1-Jan-2010, 18:43
If anybody is shooting with this 11x14, your first hand experience would be appreciated. Thanks!

Richard K.
1-Jan-2010, 18:52
Has Chamonix even made an 11x14 (yet)? :confused: :)

Oren Grad
1-Jan-2010, 20:30
The Beijing dealer that's been selling Chamonix cameras on eBay has a reversing-back 11x14 listed. The fine print says 3 are available.

Richard K.
1-Jan-2010, 20:45
The Beijing dealer that's been selling Chamonix cameras on eBay has a reversing-back 11x14 listed. The fine print says 3 are available.

Funny, Chamonix don't and never have had an 11x14 in their product listing online:

http://www.chamonixviewcamera.com/cameras.html

I've always thought that that was curious since 11x14 would be more popular than many of the others listed. Of course, they don't list my 7x11 either! :rolleyes:

Songyun
1-Jan-2010, 21:30
Funny, Chamonix don't and never have had an 11x14 in their product listing online:

http://www.chamonixviewcamera.com/cameras.html

I've always thought that that was curious since 11x14 would be more popular than many of the others listed. Of course, they don't list my 7x11 either! :rolleyes:
I believe your 711 is a special order like Jim's 514, so that's why it is not listed. 1114 I have never heard of them making any, but maybe coming out soon, I dont know.ask Hugo.

Tri Tran
2-Jan-2010, 22:24
Stay tuned. 11x14 it's coming.

evan clarke
3-Jan-2010, 11:46
Stay tuned. 11x14 it's coming.

Hugo emailed me and said the 11x14s are in process..Evan Clarke

Songyun
3-Jan-2010, 12:26
So that completes the line up. I remember that on the website once with a blank waiting to fill for 1114.

dsim
3-Jan-2010, 13:04
Wow!!

dsim
3-Jan-2010, 13:11
Also a new 12x20.

evan clarke
5-Jan-2010, 06:33
Please help me, I have had the confirm button loaded to buy one of these two times..my wife will kill me!:eek: ..Evan Clarke

MIke Sherck
5-Jan-2010, 08:27
Please help me, I have had the confirm button loaded to buy one of these two times..my wife will kill me!:eek: ..Evan Clarke

Give me your old cameras and lenses: you can bring them to the Asylum's print show this month. Then you can plead poverty to your wife and it'll all be ok! :p

Now that I think about it, you have some prints I'd like, too... :D

Mike

Tri Tran
5-Jan-2010, 12:54
Go for it. I just pulled a trigger with 8x10 reducing back. Enjoy it now and deal with your wife later, luckily my wife doesn't know what is the difference between the 8x10 and 11x14 or any size.

Mike,Thanks for your comments.

MIke Sherck
5-Jan-2010, 12:57
"Honey, is that a new camera? I don't remember seeing it before..."

"What, this old thing? It's been sitting in the cabinet so long I forgot I had it. I'm just taking it out for exercise."

The secret is to be very careful with the wording, and to have a documented history of having a very poor memory. As a computer programmer, I find I can get away with a whole legion of eccentricities!

Mike

evan clarke
5-Jan-2010, 13:18
"Honey, is that a new camera? I don't remember seeing it before..."

"What, this old thing? It's been sitting in the cabinet so long I forgot I had it. I'm just taking it out for exercise."

The secret is to be very careful with the wording, and to have a documented history of having a very poor memory. As a computer programmer, I find I can get away with a whole legion of eccentricities!

Mike

HaHa, I have all the eccentricities but SHE pays the bills!! See you in Chesterton, We ar coming on Friday and staying two nights...Evan

MIke Sherck
5-Jan-2010, 18:59
HaHa, I have all the eccentricities but SHE pays the bills!! See you in Chesterton, We ar coming on Friday and staying two nights...Evan

Where I come from, that's called 'well done!' :D I'm staying Friday and Saturday nights, too: I look forward to seeing you again. Are you still working on the graffiti series, or will you be bringing some of those prints? Exquisite!

Mike

stealthman_1
5-Jan-2010, 22:01
3600 bucks for an 11x14 made in the last 50 years...man, that is tempting...anyone got an 11x14 enlarger in their garage???:D I couldn't do this just to contact print....:rolleyes:

evan clarke
6-Jan-2010, 05:37
Where I come from, that's called 'well done!' :D I'm staying Friday and Saturday nights, too: I look forward to seeing you again. Are you still working on the graffiti series, or will you be bringing some of those prints? Exquisite!

Mike

I am always doing wall art and graffiti because that's the natural attraction in Milwaukee:) . I am bringing some of that stuff but am going to show some other work on Saturday which resulted from trips to North Dakota and Minnesota. Maybe I'll have the camera and will bring it too!..See you there..Evan

evan clarke
6-Jan-2010, 10:10
O.K. I did it. You will be able to view my corpse in Milwaukee and attend the auction of my photo gear....Evan Clarke

brian mcweeney
6-Jan-2010, 11:20
O.K. I did it. You will be able to view my corpse in Milwaukee and attend the auction of my photo gear....Evan Clarke

You are either very brave or dumb ... or married for a long time already! ;)

evan clarke
6-Jan-2010, 11:59
You are either very brave or dumb ... or married for a long time already! ;)

Thirty years:) Probably can't make her mad enough to take off...EC

MIke Sherck
6-Jan-2010, 12:08

Way to go Evan! If you have it by then, by all means, bring it to Chesterton!

For a graffiti print or two, I might be induced to keep my mouth shut about the new camera around your wife... :eek:

Just kidding... See you there!

Mike

Julian Pearce
12-Jan-2010, 01:24
I bought a Chamonix 11x14 in December from Hugo Zhang in the US – I haven’t had time to use it in the field yet but first impressions from setting it up and some use at home are very positive:

-very well made with great craftsmanship;
-light and elegant – I got mine in maple which looks great (matches Ries tripods well) but maybe not as hard as the darker wood on offer;
-the film holders are also very well made and very light!

In terms of negatives and this is being very picky:

- -some people may not like having to screw in the front standard into the base of the camera as is the case also for the Chamonix 5x7 and presumably other formats (this doesn’t worry me as it’s a compromise for a light camera but it does mean it’s important to be good at guessing the best lens for a particular scene as a lens change to a different focal length may mean the front standard will need to be unscrewed and repositioned but this is easy to do );
-when the camera is folded down I’m wondering if the bellows take some of the movement between the rear standard and the base of the camera, unlike say an Ebony 11x14 in which the rear standard acts like a clam shell – I may place some light packing between the front and rear standard when the camera is folded and being transported a distance but not for day to day use – the camera arrived in very good condition from China to Australia via the postal service.

Overall I’m very happy with the purchase which included three film holders.

Julian

evan clarke
12-Jan-2010, 05:26
I bought a Chamonix 11x14 in December from Hugo Zhang in the US – I haven’t had time to use it in the field yet but first impressions from setting it up and some use at home are very positive:

-light and elegant – I got mine in maple which looks great (matches Ries tripods well) but maybe not as hard as the darker wood on offer;

- -some people may not like having to screw in the front standard into the base of the camera as is the case also for the Chamonix 5x7 and presumably other formats (this doesn’t worry me as it’s a compromise for a light camera but it does mean it’s important to be good at guessing the best lens for a particular scene as a lens change to a different focal length may mean the front standard will need to be unscrewed and repositioned but this is easy to do );
-when the camera is folded down I’m wondering if the bellows take some of the movement between the rear standard and the base of the camera, unlike say an Ebony 11x14 in which the rear standard acts like a clam shell – I may place some light packing between the front and rear standard when the camera is folded and being transported a distance but not for day to day use – the camera arrived in very good condition from China to Australia via the postal service.

Julian

Thanks for the input, Julian. I can't wait to get mine. What is your impression of the holders??..Evan Clarke

Julian Pearce
14-Jan-2010, 22:38
The film holders are great - very well made and light for their size. I'd prefer ones like these in other formats too relative to the Fidelity ones I have. Some quick photos of the 11x14 holders are attached. Hope this helps. Julian

evan clarke
15-Jan-2010, 05:23
The film holders are great - very well made and light for their size. I'd prefer ones like these in other formats too relative to the Fidelity ones I have. Some quick photos of the 11x14 holders are attached. Hope this helps. Julian

Thanks Julian,
I hope to receive mine in the next 2 or 3 days and already have the first exposures scouted!!..Evan Clarke

Thalmees
3-Dec-2010, 06:34

Julian
Thanks so much Julian,
As far as I know, there is no more Walnut(dark brown) wood Chamonix cameras.
Sapele & maple woods, only. But which one is the darker.
I've watched Michael Gordon Chamonix 045N-2 Youtube, and wondered if its similar to the huge Chamonix 11X14.
Thanks again.

AlexGard
15-Jan-2016, 01:24

Julian

Excellent post. I followed up on this with an email o Julian a few weeks ago and he says he is still very much in love with the camera. This has made me so excited. Pulling the trigger on one in a couple of weeks when I have the funds together. Cannot wait!!

I think they only come in sapelle now.