PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Me Indentify This Rail

Michael Batchelor
31-Dec-2009, 08:55
Well, I've gone and done it. I bought an inexpensive 8X10 'project' for myself. I hesitate to say cheap, since some of the parts are obviously good quality. It's clearly a project camera, but it's got most of the pieces/parts to start.

My first task is to identify what kind of rail this is. I'm hoping someone can help. Anyone know what this is? And perhaps where to get an extension? Or at least what to start scrounging for?

The rail is pretty short - just over 300mm, but for now that's OK because I don't have any long lenses (at least not long in the 8X10 sense.) And I know all the drawbacks, none of my current lenses are going to cover it adequately, no movements ya-da ya-da ya-da. But you have to jump in somewhere, so this looked like a cheap enough way to get my feet wet. If it works out and I like 8x10 then I'll probably wind up buying another 'proper' 8X10. If I decide it's not for me then I'll let this become an experiment for the next photo-fool like me. Either way, I figure I'll pass it along after trying it out for little or no loss except my hobby time.

But, as I said, the rail is very short for 8X10. It's obviously extendable, but it isn't the same as my Toyo 4x5 rail. What is it?

TIA,
Michael

TMac
31-Dec-2009, 14:20
Looks like a Horseman LE.

Jason Greenberg Motamedi
31-Dec-2009, 15:13
Yup, it looks like the Horseman L series rails. The Horseman cameras and parts sell for pretty cheaply on eBay, so I would start there.

Michael Batchelor
31-Dec-2009, 15:38
Thanks to everyone who posted and PM'd. As soon as I can get to it I'll make a few more pics and measurements based on some suggestions from folks, and I'll post that.

Thanks,
Michael

Michael Batchelor
1-Feb-2010, 11:53
Yup, it looks like the Horseman L series rails. The Horseman cameras and parts sell for pretty cheaply on eBay, so I would start there.

Thanks a million gang. I found a cheap horseman rail on fleaBay and it is the correct rail.

Now I have a few questions about horseman. If someone has some Horseman background can you PM me please?

Thanks,
Michael