PDA

View Full Version : southern cal

madmax12
29-Dec-2009, 07:30
would like to put together a little get together to shoot and social for LF here southern cal I am here in orange county. anyone interested :)

Marko
29-Dec-2009, 09:12
By all means. :)

I'm in the Valley.

BrianShaw
29-Dec-2009, 09:34
Me, too. I'm in "The Valley" (San Fernando Valley, that is) also and despite being somewhat of a recluse I might consider getting together.

Marko
29-Dec-2009, 10:38
Brian, you can get the far corner table when we go for drinks afterwards... :)

Chris Strobel
29-Dec-2009, 12:40
Possibly, I'm in Irvine

dsim
29-Dec-2009, 12:43
Hey me too :)

Rick Russell
29-Dec-2009, 16:30
I live in Santa Clarita, and I'm in.

Rick Russell
richardrussell-1@ca.rr.com

Tori Nelson
29-Dec-2009, 17:11
Is this the "Boys Club" or are women invited too? I'd be interested if it were in OC somewhere, I'm in San Diego County.

Angi Welsch
29-Dec-2009, 20:23
I am also interested

angiwelsch@gmail.com

vinny
29-Dec-2009, 22:40
I'm in the valley, so is Gustavo. Tori can be a bit of a handful.

gary892
29-Dec-2009, 22:49
I might be interested, depends on where and when.
I am in Orange County, Buena Park area.

Gary

bvstaples
29-Dec-2009, 23:06
I'm in if the time and date are right. I'm Insane Diego...

Brian

Tori Nelson
30-Dec-2009, 00:52
I'm in the valley, so is Gustavo. Tori can be a bit of a handful.

:D Hey, as long as there isn't any snow in my sleeping bag I'm good to go!

dperez
30-Dec-2009, 16:58
I'm in for a LF group meeting in So Cal. I work in Santa Ana, and live in Pomona, so it isn't a problem for me. Just set a date and see what happens.

-Daniel

Greg Gibbons
30-Dec-2009, 19:37
I'm interested, but I'm in Thousand Oaks, and O.C. is a little far for me.
In the big scheme of things, it's not that far, but I just don't like driving through L.A. much. :p

madmax12
2-Jan-2010, 08:37
OK , Looks like we have a few people up for the meeting . Lets pick a day or weekend. I am in Dana point but will travel too. So lets see, do we want to meet and shoot or just get together and talk. I am very new to LF so i may have more questions I have the beach and SJC mission near by or what ever .lets get some suggestions and go from there:D

Michael Clark
3-Jan-2010, 22:38
Hello,I'm Mike and live in Norwalk and use a 5x7,do not know if that is large enough.Would like to go for a meeting .I might also have a place to meet in Downey.It is Arts Camera on Firestone and Paramount Blvd.He has been trying to get a camera club going and asked me if I knew anybody interested.He has a Hispanic club already but they are in to digital.I told him that most of the photo people I knew were doing mostly analog. I could talk to him and see if I could set up one day a month for a meeting.

Michael Clark
3-Jan-2010, 22:51
Or just set up a freest meeting.

gary892
4-Jan-2010, 10:51
Norwalk seems like a good spot to start.

Gary

SocalAstro
4-Jan-2010, 19:42
Hi Folks,

Im interested as well; Im in Long Beach and can drive anywhere around LA/OC.

Cheers,
Leon

Daniel_Buck
4-Jan-2010, 20:32
I'd be interested. I'm in Culver City!

ghostcount
4-Jan-2010, 23:07
Anaheim, I can meet in OC or LA.

Michael Clark
6-Jan-2010, 16:37
Talked to Art the owner of the photo store in Downey .He told me we could meet just about any time at his store in the back were he has a small studio any time even Saturday's.We would have it to ourselves also.

Michael Clark
7-Jan-2010, 22:58
Were spread out pretty far,perhaps each of use can pick a place close by to photograph each month or so and the ones who can make the trip can be there.Lets not let the momentum slip by.

J Ney
8-Jan-2010, 22:56
I'm up in Thousand Oaks (Ventura) and would be interested as well

Tori Nelson
9-Jan-2010, 09:35
I think Michael's idea makes the most sense for me. I just think it would be fun to meet somewhere and shoot for the day. If people want to hang out and grab some dinner or something afterwards, that could be a good time to talk/exchange ideas/BS.
For me, a meeting, or club type get together isn't really what I'm interested in.

The easiest way to work this might be like this:
Anyone that knows of an interesting place to shoot in their area could make a post saying, "Hey everyone, there is a great place to photograph at *****, I'm planning on being there on **/**/2010 from **AM until *PM. Is anyone interested in joining me?" If people express an interest then you could post directions and other particulars.

Michael Clark
9-Jan-2010, 10:27
That will be OK for me.First time meet up should be in secure and public area for safety. Hi Tori,I went to Wild Bills Riverside Show and saw your prints on display,really like the Hat in the Back of the older car.Did talk to you and Per little while,had a nice time there.

Tori Nelson
9-Jan-2010, 12:54
Oh yes, I remember you now, didn't put the name with the person right away. : - )
I'm actually having an Artist's reception today for a show I have for the month of January. Ramona is a little far for most people so I didn't bother posting it. The print you are referring to, "Fedora" is in this show also.

Michael Clark
9-Jan-2010, 15:10
That's great you have a show,I'll look and see if it is posted here.I might even talk my wife into a Sunday drive to go see the showing.Yes the Fedora,sorry I could not remember the name, but loved the Photograph.

Michael Clark
9-Jan-2010, 19:28
Tori,miss read your post. It is a long distance but ya never know when some one feels like a long drive,especially if there is photo's involved.

madmax12
12-Jan-2010, 09:43
I like the idea to meet and photograph at each others location. Not into the club thing just a little share info learn new things during the process. I will look today for a spot to get the ball rolling . :D

dperez
12-Jan-2010, 15:14
I am interested in meeting at various locations. I have one suggestion for such a place. I visited Yosemite during New Years weekend and on the way home I noticed an area littered with amazing oak trees on Hwy 41 south of Oakhurst and extending southward to Wide Awake Ranch Rd, which is just north of Hwy 145. In this area there are several roads that meander through cattle ranching foothills, (37° 7' 14.03" N, 119° 42' 37.36" W). The contrast of the cattle-flattened grasslands and leafless blue oaks could make for some fun and interesting photographic opportunities.

See this link:http://www.panoramio.com/photo/16967633.

Just a spot to put on your list, and maybe a few of us could meet out there.

Michael Clark
12-Jan-2010, 15:32
There is a really nice park not far from me that has very good trees shrubbery ,statues and fountains and is very well maintained, in Santa Fe Springs.I've also been going up and down the bike and walking trials along side the wash that runs along the 710frwy.

madmax12
12-Jan-2010, 16:17
I went into down town SJC .there is a ton of things to photo there . The old town area lots older building some renovating of adobe the SJC mission small parks with fountains that sort of thing. I like the yosemite thing too. i was just up there and I know the trees your are talking about that would be cool to go up focus on that too. Lets get everybody feed back on there spots and just put together a once a month meet and shoot how about it

madmax12
15-Jan-2010, 20:23
OK I am going to give this a go and see who bites SJC mission sunday the 24 of jan I will be there probably three pm if more interest in am please reply then to coffee shop to talk and social any takers

Robert Oliver
15-Jan-2010, 22:46
i could be in for SJC... unless the chargers make it to the AFC championship game

Michael Clark
15-Jan-2010, 23:14
OK I am going to give this a go and see who bites SJC mission sunday the 24 of jan I will be there probably three pm if more interest in am please reply then to coffee shop to talk and social any takers
Thats a Thursday if I don't work late that day I'll sure try and get there,never photographed there.The place should not be very crowded,how late do thy let you stay in the Mission.

madmax12
16-Jan-2010, 19:15
that a sunday I believe they let you stay until or 5 so I will look

Michael Clark
16-Jan-2010, 22:42
that a sunday I believe they let you stay until or 5 so I will look
Must have been looking at last years calender,Sunday is way easier.

Tori Nelson
16-Jan-2010, 22:59
My son leaves the next day for boot camp in Michigan, so I think I'll be a little busy for this one. Have fun everyone and let us know how it goes!

Michael Clark
17-Jan-2010, 09:24
Tori,my son left for boot camp in Oklahoma last Feb.Know how you feel.

madmax12
20-Jan-2010, 07:06
looks like we will have great weather for sun hope to see you all there

Michael Clark
20-Jan-2010, 11:43
Got my film holders loaded,haven't figured if I'll take the speed graphic or shaky Jake.

madmax12
22-Jan-2010, 07:26
theres a discount coupon on there web site for a dollar off. it stays open until 5 should be exciting our at least fun good break in the weather the rain starts again on tues look forward to meeting

djburda
24-Jan-2010, 09:00
Hi,

My wife and I hope to make it to the Mission this afternoon. We live in Laguna Niguel and are just getting started in large format. We haven't completed putting together our outfit so we won't be bringing our 4x5 camera but we would like to meet local LFers. We will be shooting with the opposite end of the photography spectrum: our Holga and Diana :)

Hope to see you there today.

Dave

madmax12
24-Jan-2010, 10:10
thats good I will have my holga along also

Michael Clark
24-Jan-2010, 13:09
I'll be there with my speed graphic.and tri pod .My wife is going to a baby shower,snuck outta of that one hee,hee,hee!!!.

madmax12
24-Jan-2010, 18:34
i would like to thank Mike Joel Donna and Dave for showing up at the Mission it was nice to finally meet. To Donna and Dave just bring the camera we will all learn together. Hope to do this once a month i believe Mike said something about him setting something up for next month look forward to it Craig

Michael Clark
24-Jan-2010, 20:12
Had a good time there at the Mission, Start developing them tomorrow.Thanks Criag for setting it up,and also very happy to meet all the other fine people.Goota eat right now.

Mike

Joel Brown
24-Jan-2010, 21:15
Had a great time in SJC Craig. Thanks for putting it all together. Also, it was nice to meet some people from the Form

Michael Clark
24-Jan-2010, 21:34
I have a spot in Santa Fe Springs,Heritage Park not a large park but is full many places to photograph.It is a well thought out park,has tall hedges a lot of tall trees,fountains,a very nice Arboretum,well kept historic buildings statues and its free. Will have to check to make sure there are no special events going on.If anybody's interested leave a post then ,a will come up with a date as soon as I look at the Parks schedule.I figure a Saturday or Sunday,morning,mid day or evening.This will be planed for next month.
Mike

djburda
24-Jan-2010, 22:33
Hi,

Donna and I had a fun time today. It was great meeting all you guys. Thanks for organizing the evnt, Craig.

We always enjoy visiting and photographing at the Mission. In fact, we ended up purchasing the annual family pass when we left. That way we can get there more often.

I promise next time we will bring the 4x5. It's time to start shooting. Make sure to keep us in the loop for any future get-togethers. Count us in for the park in Santa Fe Springs.

Dave

Michael Clark
27-Jan-2010, 01:35
Hello Donna and Dave,have you guys started using your new camera yet.I've all ready developed the negs I took,they look all right, all though one of them is a little soft ,I for got my loupe and another I could have used a back swing to bring in the fore ground focus better.
Craig how are your photos coming along ?

Michael Clark
29-Jan-2010, 11:45
Gonna try to up load the pictures at the Mission.http://S.J.C.Mission

Michael Clark
29-Jan-2010, 16:34
Here is the link to my album of the Mission
San Juan Capistrano Album (http://picasaweb.google.com/mc2050/SJCMission#)

madmax12
30-Jan-2010, 07:37
the images look great I have developed mine and will post them shortly look forward to the next get together At the next meeting I would like one of the more advanced shooters to set up and talk about there routine of metering and focus that kind of thing a little inservice if you will about the shot . I think that would help us newbies get started . thanx mike

Michael Clark
30-Jan-2010, 10:02
Sounds like a good idea Craig.I'll bring the pictures I took this time and every body can have a look.A critique session would be a nice thing to do also.

djburda
2-Feb-2010, 13:07
Hi Guys,

Just a quick update. Donna and I loaded some film holders this past weekend and shot our first still lifes. We hope to develop the film tomorrow evening. If everything turns out OK (metering, developing, etc) and any of the shots are worth posting, I will scan the negative and post it.

We're looking forward to getting out again with you all, only this time with the 4x5.

Dave

Michael Clark
15-Feb-2010, 20:13
Still working on the Heritage Park site ,have to get permission to photograph there, will try tomorrow.This weekend of the 2o,21 of February I'll be to busy .So I'm thinking of the last week end of February.Will post soon.
Mike

Michael Clark
22-Feb-2010, 13:35
I,m going to be at Heritage Park this Saturday the27 of Febuary around 9:00am.The Park is in Santa Fe Springs,12100 Mora Dr.,Santa Fe Springs CA. If you have any Questions on how to get there please PM me. The park is loaded with many Photographic opportunity's.
Mike

madmax12
24-Feb-2010, 08:37
I will be there need time and directions maybe make a new post so others can have a fresh look craig

Bruce Pottorff
24-Feb-2010, 09:57
I think I will be there as well. Do you guys share prints? If not, should we bring prints to share?

Bruce Pottorff

Tori Nelson
24-Feb-2010, 10:20
Saturday looks like rain for the entire day. Any chance of rescheduling?

Michael Clark
24-Feb-2010, 11:02
You are Right Tora,must be left over from Joshua Trees,I think I can arrange that with the Park people,have to get a permit for week ends.But I like rainy days to photograph and they have this really neat little arboretum with many plants,that is where I photographed my first PT/PL print.So this is what I'll do,I'll be there just cause I like the place unless its raining cats and dogs any one close by can come by,then while there I,ll set up arrangements for next week or so,and post a new meeting time and day.Because of some of the distance for some have to travel any suggestions on time,on week ends I like Mornings when it is not so to many people.

Michael Clark
24-Feb-2010, 11:35
In the mean time I have goggled Heritage Park, Santa Fe Springs and on their web page there is a small map,but if you scroll down click on where is park you get a better map of area.Form the 5 fwy use Florence exit and head east to Norwalk Blvd,north on Norwalk to Mora dr. turn Left go to Hathaway turn left on Hathaway and right at second parking lot.From the 605 fwy off at Telegraph head east 2miles or so turn right on Heritage Park Dr.left on Mora Dr. and right on Hathaway Dr. The Park is located in a Office Business area and is safe and clean,with Restaurants and stuff. Address is 12100 Mora Drive,Santa Fe Springs,Ca 90670.whew that's a lot of typing for me!Check out the web site map just in case I've confused you with my instructions.This Saturday I will post if its too much rain,BUT REMEMBER I am going to reschedule hope fully next week.Any comments are well come.

Mike Clark

Michael Clark
24-Feb-2010, 12:01
I think I will be there as well. Do you guys share prints? If not, should we bring prints to share?

Bruce Pottorff
That is some thing we have not discussed yet so maybe we can talk about it when at Park.
Mike

madmax12
24-Feb-2010, 20:28
I think if you have prints to share that you should bring them they are educational also its always nice to see other peoples work . I just got a 4990 epson so I will try and bring a print also to share i will be there rain or shine also Mich I need a time frame

Michael Clark
25-Feb-2010, 00:34
Criag,before you drive up here this Saturday I will post the weather here about 6:00 am to let you know if its raining hard,no sense getting your camera all wet.I still will try and set up arrangements for next week in hopefully better weather .Thats good if you want to bring prints also I will to,I believe there are some nice Restaurants in the area.Sorry for all the posting,let me know if there are any questions.
Mike

Michael Clark
27-Feb-2010, 08:03
Constant med to heavy Rain..

Michael Clark
27-Feb-2010, 08:52
Rain lighten, sky dark.

Michael Clark
27-Feb-2010, 09:19
Will be there 9:00am,if anything to reapply for permit.

madmax12
27-Feb-2010, 09:57
heavy rain here going to utah next weekend next time

Tori Nelson
27-Feb-2010, 11:47
Very heavy rain here too. This looks like a great place to shoot but next weekend is out for me too. Another commitment on Saturday and hanging a show on Sunday. BTW, I'll post an invite for the opening, just not sure of that date yet. The gallery is in Whittier.

Michael Clark
27-Feb-2010, 13:32
There are predicting rain next Saturday also.I did go there any ways and retreated to the arboretum during the frequent showers,(cheated and toke my Hasse)would have been a battle with large format.Thinking the Saturday after next lucky 13th,at least its not Friday.Thats really cool Tora, I'd very much like to see your prints. HAY!!! just thought that would be a great place to meet,how about it you people,been along time since I'v been to a opening,count me in Tora.
Mike

madmax12
28-Feb-2010, 18:40
I would like to attend that show myself need dates and times tora

Michael Clark
7-Mar-2010, 01:05
Tora how is the show going,like to go ,let use know.,

Mike C.

Michael Clark
7-May-2010, 16:46
Are any of you guys and gals going to the opening in Whittier of the show put on by alot of photographers in the LFPF. Its this Saturday (the 8th) starting around 6:30 pm Ellis Galley,see Announcements, Southern Cal.
Mike C.

Mel
4-Jul-2010, 18:05
What happened to this group?
Sounds like it could have been fun.

We need a designated organizer.
Who shall that be?

Brian_A
10-Jul-2010, 20:25
You! Schedule the next SD/LA get together :)

Mel
21-Jul-2010, 22:09
Brian, let's discuss it Sunday at Hugo's Portrait Party.