PDA

View Full Version : Next bit of kit...

612tom
26-Dec-2009, 05:18
.... so I seem to be suffering from a mild to severe case of G.A.S and am looking for the next bit of kit to add to my small collection. However I hate getting things that I never use, so I really want to make a sensible purchase and was looking for some ideas or suggestions. I didnt want this to turn out to be "what should I buy" thread - that's why I'm really open to suggestions from other people's experience.

I shoot landscapes, cityscapes, architecture or building-photos, and a few still lifes, using an ebony non-folding 4x5 and all types of film from B+W, colour neg, tranny, and fuji instant. I dev b/w at home and colour out of house, and contact print at home for fun or flatbed scan at home for web and reasonable prints, sending out for drum scanning for wall size when required. All my work is for me, not commercial at all, and happy that way.

1. The first suggestion is naturally a new lens. I have a 75 and 210, clearly there's a big gap between the two, so maybe a 90 or 150 would suit well?

2. Spotmeter. I dont have one. I have an old Sekonic 308B which does incident or reflected only, no spot. Maybe a 558 or 758 should be high on my list of priorities? However, I seem to manage ok(ish) with my current meter, only struggling really with low latitude tranny films.

3. Roll Film Back. I shot a Horseman SW612 for a long time and loved the 2:1 format. Obviously I can crop my 4x5s but I am a little bit of a purist and love the discipline of not-cropping my images and using them full frame. I could get a 6x12 back for small-money....

3b. 6x17 Roll Film Back for 4x5. Some exist out there dont they? Obviously I'd need to use a lens that covered 6x17 plus some movements, but does anyone have experience of using a 6x17 back on a 4x5 camera? I think I'd enjoy the 6x17 format.

4. New tripod? Using an old Manfrotto currently, with a 3 way head. Is it worth upgrading to a new Carbon fiber Gitzo or something to save weight? Length of the tripod is possibly more important than weight - being able to get a tripod in carry-on handluggage on European carriers with their stingy allowance would be a real bonus... But checking it in in the hold is no real bother...

5. A proper set of filters. Currently using a set of Cokin ND grads which I hold infront of the lens by hand - is it worth it getting a full set of Lee filters and a push on holder to fit all my lenses?

6. Freezer full of QLs now Fuji are denying us a future with them?!

Open to suggestions from people with similar experience....

Cheers

kev curry
26-Dec-2009, 05:54
Would it not be better to tap further into your creative needs first, and then allow them to determine what gear your vision requires?

Frank Petronio
26-Dec-2009, 06:37
Not knowing you, it is hard to say, but why not shoot up that freezer full of Quickloads before going with the roll film backs? And then weighing the cost of the back versus the film you'd shoot -- as you would probably need quite a volume to justify the roll film back.

A newer Gitzo carbon fiber tripod is quite nice, as are proper filters, and a 110-135 lens would make a good threesome.

I don't know if a spot meter makes it easier or not but you can always try. Most of this gear can be sampled and resold if it isn't to your taste.

Jack Dahlgren
29-Dec-2009, 23:38
buy a book or a print? Or a ticket somewhere?

Richard K.
30-Dec-2009, 07:59

3b. 6x17 Roll Film Back for 4x5. Some exist out there dont they? Obviously I'd need to use a lens that covered 6x17 plus some movements, but does anyone have experience of using a 6x17 back on a 4x5 camera? I think I'd enjoy the 6x17 format.

6x17 back would be totally groovy but I don't think ANYONE has had the experience of using it on a 4x5 camera since 17 cm is over 6 1/2"...you will need a 5x7 camera / back :cool:

MIke Sherck
30-Dec-2009, 08:00
If you don't know what to buy next, you probably don't need it. As they say, if you need it then you'll know it.

How about some more film, paper, chemicals, treat yourself to a trip somewhere to photograph something you're interested in?

Bill_1856
30-Dec-2009, 08:18
I know the feeling well.
Sounds like you're pretty well fixed for the LF stuff. Why don't you consider a tiny little pocket digital so you can have it on you at all times, and make low-res backups of your 4x5s.

BrianShaw
30-Dec-2009, 08:27
I tend to agree with Kev Curry and Mike Sherk'ss sentiments... but I also know how sometimes there is money in the pocket now that mightnot be there later!

How have you survived without a "normal" lens? Consider getting a 135 or 150mm. Lots of affordable options out there.

Also, a roll film back -- 6x7 -- might be useful to you.

Mike1234
30-Dec-2009, 08:56
I agree with Brian about the 135 or 150 if you can live with the fairly large jump between 75-135. If you want to keep the 75 and can afford it I suggest a 110 and a 150 to fill the gaps. Then again... you may not need/want the closer spacing. For 4x5 I would go for a 58-(or 65)-90-135-210 setup but that would mean selling the 75 and you may not want to do that.

Ari
30-Dec-2009, 09:29
Shoot film, and lots of it.

Roger Thoms
30-Dec-2009, 09:54
I agree with the suggestion for a lens. I just recently got both a 135mm and 150mm after years of shooting with just a 90mm and a 210mm. Turns out that I really a normal lens on the 4x5.

Roger

William McEwen
30-Dec-2009, 11:23
Russ Yantis, a long departed photographer friend, used to say "If you reach into your camera bag for a piece of equipment you need and it isn't there, then buy it." In other words, don't buy stuff just to buy stuff.

I'm with the other parade-rainers here. I'd spend that money on a trip, a few books, a print, or maybe self-publish a book.

And investing is a good idea, too.

But the best idea is surprise your better half with a nice piece of jewelry. You'll get a lot of mileage out of it.

Eirik Berger
30-Dec-2009, 12:18
Oh yes, many have had that experience. 6x17 backs are indeed available for 4x5" cameras. The film plane is further back (5 cm or so?) and that is how you can have such a wide format on a 4x5" camera. I have used one for some time now and I really love it. Not that many exhibition prints from it yet, but it is a lot of fun experimenting with such an extreme format.

One issue with 6x17 backs on 4x5" cameras is that it is difficult to use wide angle lenses, since the film plane is further back. I have used 135 mm on my Toyo 45CF as the widest, and that is wide enough for me.

6x17 back would be totally groovy but I don't think ANYONE has had the experience of using it on a 4x5 camera since 17 cm is over 6 1/2"...you will need a 5x7 camera / back :cool:

Richard K.
30-Dec-2009, 12:40
Oh yes, many have had that experience. 6x17 backs are indeed available for 4x5" cameras.

OK I'll go back to bed now and resume my blissful ignorance sleep...:)
Thanks for the education, Eric.

I guess it's kind of like the 5x7 extended backs for 4x5?

Lachlan 717
30-Dec-2009, 13:45
Oh yes, many have had that experience. 6x17 backs are indeed available for 4x5" cameras. The film plane is further back (5 cm or so?) and that is how you can have such a wide format on a 4x5" camera. I have used one for some time now and I really love it. Not that many exhibition prints from it yet, but it is a lot of fun experimenting with such an extreme format.

One issue with 6x17 backs on 4x5" cameras is that it is difficult to use wide angle lenses, since the film plane is further back. I have used 135 mm on my Toyo 45CF as the widest, and that is wide enough for me.

You'll also be limited by mechanical vignetting to about 150mm maximum focal length. They also tend to use a GG viewing back, so add that weight and bulk to your kit.

Where are you based? Perhaps borrow/rent/use a 617 before going any further with this purchase?

A Schneider 120mm could be good as it has a massive image circle. The grads are a good idea (get the biggest ones you can).

Have a good think about your meter. If you have doubts about your current one, I can only imagine that these doubts will grow. From what I read here, when you find you "right" meter, it's a meeting for life! I have a digital spot and love it; no need to keep looking!

What about a Jobo processor?

612tom
30-Dec-2009, 17:53
Thanks for all the replies - lots of helpful suggestions in there.

I've been living in Australia for the last year after moving down from England. I'm learning the panoramic format suits the lanscape well, hence the temptations with 6x17. Being in Oz somewhat limits the availablility of gear, and the try-before-you-buy is practically impossible, so I wanted to make a sensible purchase before going to the trouble of importing whatever it is I chose to buy from abroad - LF used gear is rare as rocking horse sh1t here, or way overpriced...

I too agree with spending the money on a plane ticket or some books. I love books and the inspiration they give me, and adding a few more the library is always a good idea. I also have trips booked or planned to NZ, Canada and Europe for 2010, so I'm thinking in advance what sort of photographs I want to take, and what equiment would be required.

I'm looking for a 90mm lens (as per the thread in the for sale/wanted forum) as I think it would be the widest I could go on the 6x17. However a range of 75, 90, and 210 still leaves a large gap in the normal-range. But I want to hang onto my 75 as its a brand new Grandagon-N that I went through the trouble of importing.

I have an Ebony 45S that I reckon I couldn't get the 75 to work with the 6x17 back, I simply couldn't get the front standard far back enough. 90mm might work, it may need a recessed board. 110 or 135 would be better, but I love the 90 on the 6x17 format, having borrowed one in Europe a few years ago.

Alternatively I forget about 6x17 and go back to 6x12, the format that I loved using with my Horseman SW612 (hence my username), and just get a 6x12 back whereby all my lenses work. 75 on 6x12 would be lovely I'm sure, however it's just a cropped 4x5" in effect, and those extra centimeters on the side might make all the difference.

So you see my dilema!

And, of course, any prospective purchases are naturally preceeded by a gift of jewelry/a day at the spa/weekend away (without camera!) to my long suffering better-half!

Cheers

John Kasaian
2-Jan-2010, 19:45
1. If you don't know what focal length lens you need to add, then you probably don't need to add it.
2. If you do a lot of low light stuff, a sensitive meter that works in very low light is a very nice thing to have along.
3. Get an 8x10 with sliders. That will give you two 4"x10" negs on one sheet of film----slick!
4. If you get the 8x10 you will need a new tripod!
5. A filter holder is neat to use---less chance of getting fingerprints on your filters. There is one cheapie with barn doors for a sunshade and a slot for gels. Put your filters in cardbard holders and they'll last longer. You can also write the filter factor on the cardboard. Lee makes one that snaps on with a rubber band thingy (the big rubber bands from brocolli or asparagus works well as a replacement.) Of course threaded glass filters are the snazzy route. Well worth it if you ask me.
6. I guess. Or invest in an emulsion that's going to be around for awhile.

Lachlan 717
2-Jan-2010, 21:19
Let me know if you're ever in Melbourne. I have a couple of 6x17's you can have a look at.

tgtaylor
2-Jan-2010, 21:19
.... so I seem to be suffering from a mild to severe case of G.A.S and am looking for the next bit of kit to add to my small collection. However I hate getting things that I never use, so I really want to make a sensible purchase and was looking for some ideas or suggestions. I didnt want this to turn out to be "what should I buy" thread - that's why I'm really open to suggestions from other people's experience.

2. Spotmeter.

4. New tripod? Using an old Manfrotto currently, with a 3 way head. Is it worth upgrading to a new Carbon fiber Gitzo or something to save weight? Length of the tripod is possibly more important than weight - being able to get a tripod in carry-on handluggage on European carriers with their stingy allowance would be a real bonus... But checking it in in the hold is no real bother...

5. A proper set of filters. Currently using a set of Cokin ND grads which I hold infront of the lens by hand - is it worth it getting a full set of Lee filters and a push on holder to fit all my lenses?

6. Freezer full of QLs now Fuji are denying us a future with them?!

Cheers

I consider a spotmeter an essential and recommend getting one. I've been using a Pentax Digital Spotmeter since 2004 and have been perfectly satisfied with it's performance.

Also essential is a good stable tripod and head. After wearing out a Manfratto C441, I purchased a Gitzo G1348 and Arca Swiss z1-sp ball head. The G1348 is discontinued and "replaced" but the replacement, while shaving 0.4lbs off the weight (4.4 vs 4.8) and 2.3" off the folded length (21.7" vs 24"), the older G1348 has a 65.7" maximum height without the center column vs 52" for the newer replacement.

Filters are also essential. Since you are already using Cokins, I recommend the Cokin Z holder which looks like the Lee Foundation holder but is, IMO, better since you don't have to use a screw driver to change the width of the slots to accommodate wider filters. As far as filters, get the glass ones. They are much more expensive but won't get scratched like the resin. I am using Zokin Z and am slowly replacing worn resins (Hi Tek and Cokin) with Schneider glass.

As far as readyloads, bite the bullet now and start using holders. You'll save both money and weight.

Thomas