PDA

View Full Version : Whadda ya think?

Pawlowski6132
22-Dec-2009, 00:07
So, this is the look I'm currently going for. Do you think this is done with continuous incadescents?

How would you accomplish this? Most seem to be lighted similarly right?

Click HERE (http://www.studio-harcourt.eu/50.php).

rdenney
22-Dec-2009, 00:35
So, this is the look I'm currently going for. Do you think this is done with continuous incadescents?

Looks like a main light coming in from above the camera, up high (well, maybe not that high), and kept to a narrow pattern. Then, there are a couple of hair lights, probably with snoots, to light the fur at each shoulder, and also to highlight the bright edge of her exposed shoulder. The hair light from camera left is also rim-lighting the neck. The main light has been diffused a bit, but not a huge amount--else the shadow wouldn't be so sharp. There may also be a dim fill light, or reflector, providing a soft general front lighting to fill the shadows a touch.

All of the lighting seems to be the same basic formula--a main light above the camera and key lights from behind providing rim lighting of the models. The main light is often constrained in pattern, probably using barn doors or scrims, to light only the face. Many of them also use a background light or two with a narrow pattern. I think it could be done with four lights, a couple of scrims, and large reflectors with diffusers (maybe not as large as umbrellas or soft boxes).

Using strobes or hot lights--that's up to you. Both will provide the same effect if modified properly. I prefer strobes because 1.) I have them, and 2.) hot lights are, well, hot.

Rick "who has 11" reflectors with diffusers and barn doors that would probably work for this" Denney

Noeyedear
22-Dec-2009, 08:38
Looks like a main light coming in from above the camera, up high (well, maybe not that high), and kept to a narrow pattern. Then, there are a couple of hair lights, probably with snoots, to light the fur at each shoulder, and also to highlight the bright edge of her exposed shoulder. The hair light from camera left is also rim-lighting the neck. The main light has been diffused a bit, but not a huge amount--else the shadow wouldn't be so sharp. There may also be a dim fill light, or reflector, providing a soft general front lighting to fill the shadows a touch.

All of the lighting seems to be the same basic formula--a main light above the camera and key lights from behind providing rim lighting of the models. The main light is often constrained in pattern, probably using barn doors or scrims, to light only the face. Many of them also use a background light or two with a narrow pattern. I think it could be done with four lights, a couple of scrims, and large reflectors with diffusers (maybe not as large as umbrellas or soft boxes).

Using strobes or hot lights--that's up to you. Both will provide the same effect if modified properly. I prefer strobes because 1.) I have them, and 2.) hot lights are, well, hot.

Rick "who has 11" reflectors with diffusers and barn doors that would probably work for this" Denney

I'm surprised led lights are not being used these days, I spoke witha manufacturer and they will make to your desired colour temp, these do not get hot but also pump out the light.
I would love to be able to light like these images. I'm guessing at strip and box lights, plus focusing spots.
The male sitters look to be lit with a strip light in the centre and female sitters with a box light, all close as possible to the model.
Arnie looks like a scarry ventriloquist dummy.

Kevin

big_ben_blue
22-Dec-2009, 13:07
Most likely using plenty of fresnels lights. The use of smaller direct light sources rather than large overpowering softboxes is key here. Plenty of gobos, scrims, fingers, cookies to sculpt and shape light and shadows. The style goes back to the golden days of the "moving pictures". Think 1920s/30s Hollywood productions, look at the works of Hurrell, Bull, Jones ...
For a good Ho-to-Do source, have a look at Roger Hicks "Hollywood Portraits".

D. Bryant
22-Dec-2009, 19:49
I'm surprised led lights are not being used these days, I spoke witha manufacturer and they will make to your desired colour temp, these do not get hot but also pump out the light.

Kevin

Do you have a link to this equipment? I'd like to take a look at it.

Thanks,

Don Bryant

Jim Michael
22-Dec-2009, 20:34
Agree w/big_ben_blue re the fresnels.

LED lights seem to be replacing flos for video production, e.g. Zylight (http://www.zylight.com/servlet/Page?template=p_i_is3)

Noeyedear
23-Dec-2009, 01:58
Do you have a link to this equipment? I'd like to take a look at it.

Thanks,

Don Bryant

I think it was this company http://www.mrled.cn/index.html, they only make the bulb the rest you need to do yourself.

Kevin.

Tiziano
23-Dec-2009, 02:16
Even if those shots were taken with continuos lights, I would suggest you to use flash lights, if you want to try to do the same. Flashes are more flexible, and you will avoid cooking your model, while you setup the lights.

nray
23-Dec-2009, 05:53
It looks to me like they are focused spotlights or flashlights. I don't really care for them. The light seems really harsh, but I suppose that is the look they were going for. Hurrell's lighting was also very soft at times.

LIGHT LENS LOVE
3-Jan-2010, 18:36

I don't know but they are great.