PDA

View Full Version : My first image (Sinar F2)

macandal
19-Dec-2009, 14:49
On, Monday, Oct 26, I decided to confront my fears and use my F2. Loading the film, one of the many concerns I had, turned out not to be an issue at all. It was so easy... I did it in my changing bag. Two color and two black and white. A non-issue.

So then I got the camera ready, put it in the tripod and all that and went outside my apartment complex. Once there--a bright, sunny San Francisco day--I set the camera down. There wasn't much to photograph. It's a simple street, with two rows of building and homes, cars parked, so I aimed the camera at one of the few trees there. My expectations were simple: I just wanted a correct exposure. I didn't even want a sharp image, fuzzy would do, I just wanted the exposure. I followed some instructions I'd been given, however, and this I should've figured out before I went outside, I didn't know how to cock the shutter. I took a reading with the meter, set the exposure on the lens and--first hurdle--put the film (holder) on the camera. This isn't very easy to do because you don't want to break your camera, and, truth be told, it seems as if you're about to break it when you load the film. After some minutes, I figured it out and was ready, but, like I said, I didn't know how to cock the shutter, so, "I took the shot". I say "I took the shot" because I didn't really take anything--since the shutter wasn't cocked. Two sheets of film wasted. Time for the B&W. I took the first one. Remember how you are reminded not to open the shutter once you load the film? I opened the shutter after I had loaded the film. (However, now that I got the exposures from the lab back, I realize that there's something there. What I did, is beyond me. I don't know how good of an exposure it is because I didn't get a print ($$$).) Then the time came for the final shot. I got everything ready, and since I'm not afraid of touching all the buttons and all the levers, I moved something on the lens and voila, I thought: "Oh my god, I just c*cked the f*ucking shutter!!!" and I quickly took the shot. Well, I got the film back today and I'm glad I was able to figure this out. See the result in the attachment below.

I know it's not the shot to end all shots, but I was able to reach my goal: get a perfect exposure.

lenicolas
19-Dec-2009, 15:14
bravo!
from now on, it's a peace of cake ;)

macandal
19-Dec-2009, 15:16
bravo!
from now on, it's a peace of cake ;)Thanks, len, let's hope so.

bobwysiwyg
19-Dec-2009, 17:17
Congratulations. I can still recall my first shot (lots of dust :o ) because it wasn't all that long ago. Looks good to me. Keep going. ;)

onnect17
19-Dec-2009, 19:32
I know the feeling. Found an old graflex in a yard sale for $15. After developing a couple of sheet of forte it's hard to look back. The new experience starts in the GG.
Welcome and enjoy it !!!

venchka
19-Dec-2009, 19:52
Welcome to the club.

Now, practice without film. Practice setting up the camera. Compose. Focus. Exposure. Close shutter. Cock shutter. Look through GG. Trip shutter. See the light? Repeat. Cock shutter. Now slide the holder in. Pull darkslide. Flip darkslide to "Exposed" side. Look at scene. Wait for the light to be right. Trip shutter. Insert slide. Remove holder. Grin.

ImSoNegative
19-Dec-2009, 22:59
Nice Image, keep up the good work

nray
23-Dec-2009, 06:13
Haha...I can relate. Congratulations. :)

sanchi heuser
23-Dec-2009, 08:10
and--first hurdle--put the film (holder) on the camera. This isn't very easy to do because you don't want to break your camera, and, truth be told, it seems as if you're about to break it when you load the film.

Hi,

a suggestion to avoid this:

-After done all adjustments, carefully demount the groundglas holder together
with the frame, from the rear standard.

-Put the filmholder into place.

-Carefully put groundglasholder and frame with the filmholder again on the standard.
It's important that the frame and groundglasholder are together
before you handle it.

Usually I did this when I used a Polaroid Holder 405 or 545 and wanted to tear out
the film without stirring the camera too much. But it's also very useful for putting the
filmholder in.

Have fun
sanchi

tenderobject
23-Dec-2009, 08:27
congrats!

i remember my first time too! 2 film was wasted. when i pull the film holder after the exposure for the first one haha the film holder had been broken due to wrong pulling from the back i almost broke the back as well.. now i know my workflow..

just want to share maybe some others would correct my workflow and share whats yours. :)

since i'm using an old lantern lens.. this is after i made the composition, lock some knobs so it won't move when putting the film holder..

1. put the lenscap on the lens
2. put the filmholder gently (by one hand) still trying to practice this one
3. after that, i will pull the darkslide and flip it to exposed
4. pull the lenscap for exposure
5. after exposure, will put back the lenscap gently on it
6. put the darkslide on (flipped to exposed)
7. when the darkslide meet the edge of the filmholder, then i will pull the film holder gently again from the back so i won't break the back expecially the GG.

thats it. still new but i'm thinking of everyway to make my life easier :)