PDA

View Full Version : Big Xerox Plate Camera - Help?

unkgowa
17-Dec-2009, 10:18
I have recently become fascinated by the world that is large format and just sold my digital kit to buy a Speed Graphic.. I haven't yet taken my first proper 4x5 photograph (the Graflex being a Christmas present) and probably rather foolishly stumbled across this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Large-Plate-Camera-Rank-Xerox-Serial-No.-XB48-3082_W0QQitemZ220522028984QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxq20091206?IMSfp=TL091206165001r18122 on the auction site a couple of days ago. I was already dreaming of 8x10 and beyond at this point, and at 99p it was too good an opportunity to miss.

I have had a look through it nothing is coming up on the ground glass(?), is that to do with the lens or the glass? And the lens looks to be off of an old SLR so surely that needs replacing, I was thinking of a shuttered lens that could cover 8x10? I'm still only sixteen and don't have much money so any suggestions on the cheap side would be appreciated..

AlexanderTkatschow
10-May-2010, 01:03
Hi,
The only logical explanation I can think of for you not being able to see anything on the ground glass is: Taking for granted that the lens is not obstructed in front or in back, the culprit would be the shutter. If you've tried all the different shutter settings and can,t keep the shutter open to see through, then the shutter needs servicing. Of course there's the possibility that the shutter you have does not have the capability to 'pre-view' and in that case I can't see any option but to find one which does...