PDA

View Full Version : Time To Consider Fuji or Nikon

Michael Kadillak
26-Jan-2002, 00:20
Just passing on some market intelligence.

Considering the fact that the Yen is at a three year low relative to the US doll ar, now would be the time to close a deal on a Nikon or Fuji lens if you were in the market for one.

Chad Jarvis
26-Jan-2002, 00:23
You know, as I've watched the steady decline of the Yen over the past few years, I've expected the price of the Nikon F5 to come down. It hasn't...at least in the US. Some things just defy market economics.

Michael Kadillak
26-Jan-2002, 00:32
The key to taking full advantage of this financial relationship is to consumate your transaction in Yen. That means that you need to acquire your lens or camera in Japan or have someone there do it for you. My brother in Tokyo gets a kicker for taking the time to buy a lens for me. He gets points or a discount toward another purchase the next time he shops there. And for a $800-$1,000 lens, it is very worth the effort.

I noticed that the F-Stop quoted the value of Yen for their Fuji sales. Probably a bit higher than a Japanese sale, but it is at least an option. Any vendor that is on the dollar probably is taking the spread of the two currencies at the time they are acquiring their inventory.

Walter Glover
26-Jan-2002, 02:42
Chad & Michael,

In my experience I have only ever seen logical reactions to fluctuation in currency market prices when prices go up.

Fed Ex and Am Ex open avenues for shopping globally; We encouraged not to; to support our local distributors who look like us and sound like us. They are our friends who are there to back us up. They won't stab us in the back. They don't have to - they're stabbing us in the front.

So much for trade diplomacy ... Walter Glover

Michael Kadillak
26-Jan-2002, 11:39
Great point Walter. I do purchase things from Badger, Robert White and many others as we do need them to stay in business. However, when I am looking for large items such as lenses or specialty film, I have used this option for considerable savings. I acquired a new Nikkor 150 SW for $1,400 when the best price I could get was $1,950. I also bought some 5x7 Velvia film at about a 30% discount. Yes, Badger and many others could have sold me the same items, but for me greasing the wheels of commerce is a multi dimensional proposition. The money I saved I used to purchase a compendium for my 5x7 Canham and a folding focus hood for the Linhof.

I have tried to use Fed Ex and was unsuccessful. Seems that they have a higher sales price sheet. Plus you have to deal with customs. My brother was able to go to one of the pro shops in downtown Tokyo and wheel and deal. He speaks Japanese and I gave him specific instructions to close the deal on the spot. He comes back to the states once a year and brings it with him as carry on.

He is currently checking on some Fuji lenses and a Nikkor enlarging lens for me. Have a good one.

tim atherton
26-Jan-2002, 13:54
you mean for buying outside the US... it's a free market economy guys! Buy where you want, governemtn be damned! You only need to worry about paying customs duties.

Michael Kadillak
26-Jan-2002, 15:28
As long as you are not "abusing" the system by bringing in significant numbers of products, the regulators are understanding as long as you tell them that they are for personal use. Another way to work it is to take the product out of the box and wrap it and ship it independently as a used item. You can send the literature, warranty and box separately. Bottom line is that we work damn hard for the money to invest in our equipment. If we can intelligently get a little more mileage then that is great.

Bill Glickman
28-Jan-2002, 07:59
Currently the Yen is 133 to the dollar. A few years back, it hit about 145. If the trend continues, and you have a lot of gear to purchase, it might justify a trip to japan! BTW, does anyone know if Canon 35mm lenses are just as competitively priced in Japan as Nikon?