PDA

View Full Version : Jogging Stroller Mods

jeroldharter
13-Dec-2009, 15:02
I decided to order a jogging stroller to use at times with my LF equipment, 4x5 - 8x10 gear.

I ordered a standard Instep Ultra Runner Jogging Stroller with a fixed front wheel. It is no donkey cart so I need to figure out the best way to fit my gear including my tripod.

Anybody have tricks or modifications that they have found useful for rigging the stroller for camera gear?

R Mann
13-Dec-2009, 15:24
I use a Tyke Trek and to keep from making a destructive changes I add an "L" shaped plywood platform that uses the foot rest as a load transfer point. I dropped the seat to the laying position so it is a flat load space. The piece of plywood fits on the "laying area" and I attached a small wood piece at 90 degrees to rest on the foot rest. To keep it in place I drilled a couple of holes and attached it to the frame work with bungie cords. You do have to think about keeping the center of gravity forward so it won't tip backward, which is why I wanted the plywood platform out over the foot rest. Keep the safety wrist strap handy as these can get rolling pretty fast on a down hill slope, I think you will be surprised how easy they are to push loaded. You will also need to think about how to attach your tripod - I strap mine to the side as the end can rest its points in holes on the foot rest.

I would attach some photos, but it is packed away for the winter. I was trying to keep it as close to factory condition as possible in case I wanted to sell it. The only thing I regret is getting a single seat model - there are times I would like to take more along and a twin seat model seems like the next step.

John Bowen
13-Dec-2009, 15:53
Do a search for "jogging" and see what turns up. John Powers has posted his jogging stroller modifications either here or on Apug.

jeroldharter
13-Dec-2009, 17:49
Do a search for "jogging" and see what turns up. John Powers has posted his jogging stroller modifications either here or on Apug.

Thanks, I checked out what thread I could find. I think I will have to figure out some clever way of carrying things. I would like to have a quick but secure way of attaching the tripod. Will probably use small diameter rope. I wonder about using an open piece of PVC sewer pipe attached to the stroller. Of course, then I have to deal with the issue of air travel with the stroller so I don't want to engineer a jalopy that is not travel-worthy.

catshaver
13-Dec-2009, 18:47
I walked across the U.S. from Wisconsin to the Grand Canyon pushing a double baby jogger. It worked great. With a 100 lb. capacity, I was able to place my pack with camera, gear and film between two water jugs to help keep the film from overheating. The tripod went across the handle in the back. Just aft of the canopy where you can see a crook in the handle, my Manfrotto 3221 fit across there just perfectly and didn't need to be lashed down. There was still room enough in the cart for tent, sleeping bag, food, maps, etc.

http://scottedwards.us/images/cart.jpg

John Powers
13-Dec-2009, 19:22
Good luck with the new ride. I will be happy to answer any questions you may have about my rig or its use. I posted this in 2008. Here is a current link to the jogger I use.
http://babyjogger.com/perf_jogger_lp.aspx the Performance single by BabyJogger

It has 20 inch wheels and 100 pound shocks. The larger wheels help you over uneven terrain, offer less rolling resistance and the shocks make the ride smoother on your gear. I bought mine second hand on eBay three (now five) years ago. That vintage only had a front brake. There is not much weight on the front, so the parking brake doesn’t do much for you. The current model has a parking brake that locks the rear wheels. Lacking that I usually just wedge it up against a tree, rock, fence.

Today I carried seven 7x17 film holders in a bag on the bottom rails; a 12x12x 10” cooler bag full of lenses, meter, loupe in the seat, and a 7x17 RH Phillips mounted on a big Ries. The tripod spikes go through two holes cut in the foot rest. The tripod leans on the cooler bag and is bungied to the shocks and axle. When I stop, the camera, tripod and tripod head are all connected for instant set up.

I have used this jogger for 4x5, 8x10 and 7x17. The only modification was drilling two holes for the tripod spikes in the foot rest. I also carry 60 feet of ¼” line and a water bottle. I added a bicycle handlebar compass to tell what time to return if the light is not what I need now. A hand held compass would be as good, if not better. The rig allows me to go out two miles from the car on trails. I can usually find a parking space closer then that.

John

jeroldharter
13-Dec-2009, 20:12
John,

Thanks for the details. I got the idea of using a baby jogger from reading your posts in the past. First I bought a really cheap stroller designed for attaching two car seats - sort of like a shopping cart without a basket - on which I could lash a Pelican case and my tripod. That worked very well but only on smooth surfaces.

Then I bought a used Burley bicycle trailer which is very nice and can hold a massive amount of gear. But, it does not fold up quickly or compactly so transporting it is cumbersome.

Finally I am doing what I should have done in the first place. I am eager to try it out.

Catshaver,

Wow! What a trip. You should definitely write an article about your photo experiences on the trip and post here. A book might be good too. That is some ultra ultralight travelling I might add.

catshaver
14-Dec-2009, 05:25
Jerold,

The book came out in 2008.

Good luck with that cart. Mine is sort of unwieldy when folding it up, but it will fit into the backseat of a car with the canopy removed, handle folded and wheels removed.

Richard K.
14-Dec-2009, 08:06
Here is a record of my baby jogger explorations (including what to do with the tripod):

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=35243&highlight=jogging

jeroldharter
14-Dec-2009, 08:38
Here is a record of my baby jogger explorations (including what to do with the tripod):

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=35243&highlight=jogging

Richard,

That is a nice rig. I have a stoller like that (a Burley) that is large and great for holding everything. Rather than use the plywood like you did, I use a Pelican case which is large enough to bridge the distance required and onviates the need. They hold a tone and ride very smoothly.

My new one is a conventional single passenger model where the space will be much more limiting.

Thanks for the pics.

jeroldharter
14-Dec-2009, 08:41
Jerold,

The book came out in 2008.

Good luck with that cart. Mine is sort of unwieldy when folding it up, but it will fit into the backseat of a car with the canopy removed, handle folded and wheels removed.

Do you have a link to the book? Is it still for sale?

catshaver
14-Dec-2009, 10:43
Do you have a link to the book? Is it still for sale?

Sent you a PM

emo supremo
14-Dec-2009, 17:14
You know, if you're just running down the corner to pick up milk or cigs you might consider nicking a milk crate and hose clamping it to an old golf cart. It's rough on my equipment (sans shocks) but the big wheels are super on trails and sidewalk cracks. Almost free.

dsphotog
15-Dec-2009, 13:02
Wow Cat! Is that a record baby jogger travel distance?
You could do a commercial for the manufacturer!

catshaver
15-Dec-2009, 20:25
The trick is to keep the front wheel aligned just so. It is completely maddening to have the cart pull one way or the other, and then have to elevate the front to center it again. I have perfected the alignment though. There were times when I would let go of the handle after giving the cart a shove, just to have my hands off it for a spell. Quite a few times I had to chase it downhill, because I misread the slope of the road.

What's nice about the baby jogger, is that when it's loaded, you can apply some of your weight on it to take the load off your feet a bit. Working it over rough terrain can be like operating a hand jack rail car as you negotiate rocks and tussocks.

The one I used is no longer manufactured. It has a hard plastic bottom that I drilled drain holes into, in case my water jugs developed leaks.

I had a camouflage tarp that I could attach on the front of the cart and stake out to the sides and over the handle in back (sort of like a diamond shape) if I needed to get out of the rain. I could sleep under it also on top of my air mattress.

http://scottedwards.us/images/kansas.jpg

http://scottedwards.us/images/Desert.jpg
Bottle of wine and a tent...home sweet home.
The tripod is not visible here, because it was being used to take this shot.

jeroldharter
16-Dec-2009, 15:00
Received my stroller today. Will piddle with it this weekend.

Great shot catshaver.

Leonard Evens
23-Dec-2009, 00:22
I regularly use a standard Baby Jogger---not a double---without any modifications. I use various camera cases and small bicycle carriers in which i stow equipment, including a 4 x 5 camera, four lenses, two exposure meters, film, and various accessories. The cases fit in the seat and in the pouch in back. My tripod and a small fold-up camp stool are secured in front with a shock cord. I can unpack and set up in less than five meinutes and similarly for packing up.

Since arthritis makes it difficult for me to bend, I support the camera case on top of the opened canopy when in use.

There is one fact about the Baby Joggers that are not well known: the side wheels come off. There is a spring clip on either side, and if you push them in, you can pull off the wheels. This is convenient if you need to stow everything in relatively small space, as in a compact car.

jeroldharter
23-Dec-2009, 19:22
... My tripod and a small fold-up camp stool are secured in front with a shock cord....

Leonard,

Good idea. I never thought of bringing a chair! I have a great ultralight camp chair that I use when canoeing that I think would lash on easily. Don't want to look too much like Jed Clampett though.

Perhaps someone will make a stroller large enough for me to sit in and I could hire someone to push me along. If I were handy, I might try making such a contraption. Catshaver could push me to the Grand Canyon.

John Powers
23-Dec-2009, 19:42
Occasionally I need to run the tripod (big Ries) up high to clear something or attain a certain angle. I am only 5’ 9”. John Bowen certainly has the advantage here. I have a four foot ladder that I can use near the car, but no way to take it with me in the Baby Jogger. Not to hijack the thread, but has someone thought of a 1, 2 or 3 foot boost that collapses only when you want it to and can be attached to the jogger?

John

jeroldharter
23-Dec-2009, 20:28
Occasionally I need to run the tripod (big Ries) up high to clear something or attain a certain angle. I am only 5’ 9”. John Bowen certainly has the advantage here. I have a four foot ladder that I can use near the car, but no way to take it with me in the Baby Jogger. Not to hijack the thread, but has someone thought of a 1, 2 or 3 foot boost that collapses only when you want it to and can be attached to the jogger?

John

I suppose you could lash on a folding 3-step stool/ladder so you could reach the camera to focus. Or put one of those folding plastic 2-step stools in the bottom compartment as a stiff liner that could be removed when you need it.

John Powers
24-Dec-2009, 05:26
Or put one of those folding plastic 2-step stools in the bottom compartment as a stiff liner that could be removed when you need it.

Thank you. I carry the film holders there to keep as much weight as low I can, but there is probably room elsewhere. I am not familiar with "those folding plastic 2-step stools". Can you say where they are sold or send a link so I can go look? Thanks,

John

jeroldharter
24-Dec-2009, 07:35
Thank you. I carry the film holders there to keep as much weight as low I can, but there is probably room elsewhere. I am not familiar with "those folding plastic 2-step stools". Can you say where they are sold or send a link so I can go look? Thanks,

John

Something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BVL098/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000KIEL5C&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0H9E21BGFZ1J85RNVSX2

Looks like the two step model is larger than I thought but reasonably light and flat so it might fit lashed on the back of the stroller where your knees are when walking.

John Bowen
24-Dec-2009, 07:45

John

John,

My 1st thought was a plastic milk crate. You could store your film holders, etc. in it until you need it. I always have one in the truck. The crate normally holds things like topo maps, spare ground glass, film boxes etc, but if I ever need an extra 18" on top of the 5'18" :D my mom and dad gave me, I can always stand on the milk crate. That's why I buy my tripods extra long... Ries J-100-8 (8" taller than normal for about $5 extra cost) and a J-600 with extension legs.

Since my favorite subjects include moving water, I often find myself with the camera pointed down and me on my tip toes to view the top corners of the GG.

Merry Christmas,
John

John Powers
24-Dec-2009, 10:35
Thank you Jerold & John. Both good ideas. I think the folding steps would be easier to attach to my rig, but I will give it some more thought before I buy. Have a great holiday. The girls (two yellow Labs) and I are about to work up an appetite for dinner with a three mile hike in the woods while Dolly (my wife) does her happy thing in the kitchen. Have a great one.

John

DaveL
11-Jan-2010, 18:17
I walked across the U.S. from Wisconsin to the Grand Canyon pushing a double baby jogger. It worked great. With a 100 lb. capacity, I was able to place my pack with camera, gear and film between two water jugs to help keep the film from overheating. The tripod went across the handle in the back. Just aft of the canopy where you can see a crook in the handle, my Manfrotto 3221 fit across there just perfectly and didn't need to be lashed down. There was still room enough in the cart for tent, sleeping bag, food, maps, etc.

http://scottedwards.us/images/cart.jpg

Your note was a real eye opener to me! Thanks! I'm new here and hadn't thought of this approach. Truly a good common sense solution.

DaveL
Toronto

jeroldharter
26-Feb-2010, 21:09
I have not seen these referenced here before. Looks like another interesting option:

http://www.dixonrollerpack.com/18148.html

Colin Graham
26-Feb-2010, 21:19
No careless squatting though, please.

http://www.dixonrollerpack.com/media/DIR_10191/IMG_3702.JPG

Leonard Evens
4-Mar-2010, 08:25
I've used a single Baby Jogger for years. It would be better if the seat were wider, and every once in a while I consider modifying the unit with that in mind. But, I manage to stow everything I need, including a folding camp stool in/on it without any modifications, with the help of one shock cord. I got one medium large camera bag in which I keep most things and two small bicycling packs for the rest. I use the (flat on my model) top of the canopy to rest the open camera bag, so I don't have to bend over . (I have a bad back.)

It seems a well kept secret that the rear wheels of the Baby Joggers come off. There are Chrome clips on the bottom back, which, when pressed in, release the wheels. With the rear wheels off, I can easily fit the jogger and all my equipment in the back seat of my Corolla.