PDA

View Full Version : Strange Spot Meter Situation

Pawlowski6132
9-Dec-2009, 19:37
So, gots me a Soligor Spot II, used.

I put a fresh 9v in it and the red "test lamp" lights up fine. However, the meter needle never moved past around EV 6. I fiddled with the bias screw, etc but, even pointed at a 60W bulb, it never moved past EV 6. It never "rested" at EV 2 either. So, I figured I just got ripped off.

Then, as I was continuing to fidget with it, I noticed that if I held it sideways (i.e., with the handle parallel to the ground - Bam! Needle acted more as I expected.

Has anyone ever experienced this????

Also, I then tried to figure out if it was calibrated or even tracking expectedly and, against my Sekonic L358 with 1degree spot attachment and a gray card, it was almost dead on.

Measuring in other situations the Soligor was almost two stops lower.

So...what a crazy meter.

Can I trust and use it??????

Vaughn
9-Dec-2009, 20:03
This is why I went with the Pentax Digital Spot vs the Pentax Spotmeter V (w/ needle)...less moving parts. An old Luna Pro was giving similar problems.

Sounds like something is keeping the needle from swinging freely -- a bent or loose part inside. Just might be a matter of taking the meter apart and checking out the action of the needle.

Vaughn

bobwysiwyg
10-Dec-2009, 06:25
I had a Gossen that did the same thing. Finally just put it away. I now use either a Sekonic or Pentex spot meter.

RichardRitter
10-Dec-2009, 06:53
Dirt in the needle movement.

Toyon
10-Dec-2009, 07:13
Ritter knows what he is talking about. Clean the device.

bobwysiwyg
10-Dec-2009, 07:23
Dirt in the needle movement.

Would love to give it a try, but how and with what?

Nathan Potter
10-Dec-2009, 10:52
If you disassemble the Soligor be careful with the meter movement. Look for any dirt or loose debris as Richard says. Sometimes you can use a compressed air or gas source to blow out loose particles. Sometimes you'll need to use fine tweezers to pick out loose stuff.

It may not be debris that hangs up the meter but the needle may be rubbing against the scale or other parts and hanging up, hence that might be why you have to hold it on its side to get free meter movement.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

Glenn Thoreson
10-Dec-2009, 11:51
Not good to use compressed air on a meter movement. Those things have some extremely delicate parts in there. The hair spring is the most easily damaged. Blow gently through a soda straw. Gently. As mentioned, it's often a case of the needle rubbing on the face or housing. Again, gently bend it into position.
a hard knock will make the needle rub. There's probably nothing wrong with the rest of it.