PDA

View Full Version : Cold temperatures and exposure time?

Sean Galbraith
7-Dec-2009, 10:07
Now that the snow has started to fall... Do I need to adjust my metering to take into account temperature effects on the emulsion?

ki6mf
7-Dec-2009, 10:14
I do not believe temperature affects film emulsion. Battery life can be affected by the cold which could affect some gear. Some other cold weather issues are static electric discharge when pulling a dark slide out to fast, condensation on lenses when bringing them into a warm place after being in the cold (wrap in zip lock bags to let condensation form on the bag not in your gear). Let your film warm up before dropping it into the much warmer, by comparison, developer.

Bruce Watson
7-Dec-2009, 10:28
Now that the snow has started to fall... Do I need to adjust my metering to take into account temperature effects on the emulsion?

No.

Mike V
7-Dec-2009, 11:37
With regards to the cold, I find it can be annoying when shooting polaroids to have to wait for up to 5 minutes for it to develop. In the 5 minutes gone by of course the light has changed. (sun behind a cloud etc) doh!

All part of the challenge though!

Ari
7-Dec-2009, 12:00
With regards to the cold, I find it can be annoying when shooting polaroids to have to wait for up to 5 minutes for it to develop. In the 5 minutes gone by of course the light has changed. (sun behind a cloud etc) doh!

All part of the challenge though!

I stick the Polaroid under my jacket in my armpit and close my jacket for two minutes.
Saves time when you're out in the cold.

Mike1234
7-Dec-2009, 12:16
Polaroid made a "cold clip" made from two hinged sheets of metal that was designed to sandwich the film between and hold it against your warm shirt under your coat... or under your arm pit.

Jim Rice
7-Dec-2009, 12:17
Under very cold conditions, reciprocity failure is lessened. Ask our bretherin the astrophotographers (if you can still find any using film).

Ivan J. Eberle
7-Dec-2009, 14:05
Shutters can hang in the cold... worth testing them by sticking in the freezer, perhaps.

Preston
7-Dec-2009, 16:15
It may go without saying, but...

With winter here, please be sure to protect yourself from cold weather injuries, be mindful of your situation, and travel with safety in mind.

-Preston
(Retired Firefighter)

ps: We have over 7 inches of snow today in Columbia, CA; a rarity for this time of year. The Sierra High Country is getting a 'massive' dump of the white stuff

-p

Ed Pierce
10-Dec-2009, 17:19
Ditto on the shutters...give it a few clicks before pulling the dark slide

tom north
14-Dec-2009, 16:50
I concur with the shutter check. I've shot at -5 deg F and found the only failures were due shutter (dirty & dry) and frostbite on fingers.

Tom

Don7x17
14-Dec-2009, 16:59
Under very cold conditions, reciprocity failure is lessened. Ask our bretherin the astrophotographers (if you can still find any using film).

you're right0--
Actually most of them use KODAK T-MAX 100 PROFESSIONAL (glass) PLATE and hypersensitize as well as use nitrogen cold temperature baths....