PDA

View Full Version : Just starting with a 4x5 Crown Graphic

dksmith68
3-Dec-2009, 12:35
I've been shooting with digital for a few years. Last year I picked up an old Bronica EC and have loved shooting with that. This fall I found a pretty good deal on a Crown Graphic 4x5 with 127mm and 203mm lenses and 12 film backs.

I've been shooting some pictures with it and am amazed with the transparencies and negatives.

I just found an unassembled Bender 4x5 kit, but it didn't come with assembly instructions. Would anyone have an old set of instructions laying around they could share with me?

Thanks,

Dave Smith

Vick Vickery
4-Dec-2009, 09:52
You're starting out with a pretty good basic kit with the Crown and those two lenses, the 127mm being a little short and the 203mm being a little long (compared to a "normal" lens of about 160mm). The shorter one is good for general shooting, peoplescapes and landscapes, etc., and the longer is loved by many folks for portraits. Shoot lots and have fun!

The Bender kit instructions might be a little difficult to come up with since the manufacturer is out of business, but, surely someone here has a set they can share with you. If you don't hear from anyone in a couple of days, do a search in the more likely forumns for "Bender" and see who owns one, then send them a private message asking for help. The pictures of the completed cameras that will be found in that search might help some, too.

Oh, and by the way, welcome to group therepy! :)

Michael Graves
4-Dec-2009, 10:13
Oh, and by the way, welcome to group therepy! :)

He's already showing signs of needing it. Just starting and already severe GAS.

henrysamson
4-Dec-2009, 14:59
I built a Bender 8x10 several years ago and just got rid of it recently. The construction was really straightforward. I last corresponded with Jay Bender less than a year ago and he might be able to help you out:

mrbender@benderphoto.com

rdenney
4-Dec-2009, 15:44
This page might help. It's an 8x10, but I'll bet the details are similar.

http://www.quadesl.com/bender.shtml

Rick "found in casual Internet surfing" Denney