PDA

View Full Version : Tripod for Toyo 45A II

Matthew Rolfe
27-Nov-2009, 16:20
I have moved down from 10x8 to 5x4 and I now own a Toyo 45AII. For use with my Wista Field 10x8 I had an extremely heavy (but cheap) Gitzo tripod, now I am shooting 5x4 I want to keep the weight down without sacrificing stability. Any suggestions, especially those who own/have owned a Toyo 54AII.

Thanks

jeroldharter
27-Nov-2009, 16:25
This is the way to go and what I use:

http://reallybigcameras.com/Feisol/Tournament_Class.htm

Excellent tripod and superlight. Won't be enough for the 8x10. If you want one lightweight tripod that will do double duty with 4x5 and 8x10 then consider this one which I also have and I am pleased with it:

http://reallybigcameras.com/Feisol/CT-3372_CT-3472.htm

vinny
27-Nov-2009, 17:15
or find a used gitzo 1325 which is very similar to the larger tripod jerold mentioned.

77seriesiii
30-Nov-2009, 13:23
I'm using a Ries J600 on my backpack trips, not too heavy and breaks down easily. Something to consider when asking this type of question is letting us know what and how you shoot. Obviously not studio as you want it light so backpackable. All seasons, near water, salt water, beach, snow, etc.? Metal is not fun in cold temps and sand does not play well w/ collapsing tripods. Anything near salt water/sand requires cleaning. Comes down to preference, do you want CF, metal or wood? Best thing to do is go to a shop touch feel carry around, etc. Find and then buy one the one that speaks to you.

on the forum you will find as many opinions pros/cons for one type of tripod over another.

good luck

erick

Peter De Smidt
30-Nov-2009, 14:02
Really Right Stuff is coming out with a line of carbon fiber tripods. They look very good, but like all their stuff they're Really Expensive Stuff.

I have a 45AX, and if I was buying new, I'd go with Gerald's recommendation. Currently I use a Gitzo series five tripod, which is overkill. I also have a Gitzo carbon fiber 1227, which can work in a pinch in the right conditions, but I wouldn't recommend for general use.

srbphoto
30-Nov-2009, 15:56
I use a Bogen 3221 w/ a Bogen 3047 pan head (older style) for my 45AI

Matthew Rolfe
2-Dec-2009, 10:22
Thankyou for all of your opinions and advice. Very much appreciated.

Matthew

mpirie
6-Dec-2009, 05:01
Hi Matt,

I used mine with a Manfrotto 055 with the 410 geared head.

Regards,
Mike

Shawn Dougherty
6-Dec-2009, 14:20
I use a Ries J100 and J250 double tilt head with my Toyo 45AII. It's pricey but worth every penny, provides unparalleled support and makes small compositional changes almost as easy as using movements.

Matthew Rolfe
7-Dec-2009, 02:59
Thanks mike,

I will have a look at that tripod. Luckily I have a Gitzo tripod that I can use until I raise some money, but it is so cumbersome, the Toyo looks tiny on top of it.

Thanks again for selling your excellent camera to me.

Matthew

Professional
8-Dec-2009, 14:34
It seems Gitzo tripod is a good choice, but dunno which head is suitable rather than what i have already [RRS BH-55, also Markins Q3T which is lightweight]