PDA

View Full Version : Fujinon W 210 5.6, any comment?

gregvds
24-Nov-2009, 05:50
hi,

I just bought on the bay a Fujinon W 210mm f:5.6. I'm interested by any of your comments about that lens. I know already about the unofficial fujinon webpage, very informative, but without any image circle figures.

Thanks,

Greg

Raph
24-Nov-2009, 06:25
Hi,
the Fuji details here http://http://www.subclub.org/fujinon/index.htm

Allen in Montreal
24-Nov-2009, 06:41
I use to have this one:

http://www.subclub.org/fujinon/210nw56.jpg

The image circle claim is modest, it covered 8x10 with a little movement.

gregvds
24-Nov-2009, 06:48
Good, this looks like the one I will have. I'll use it for 4x5, so, plenty of movement. What about quality? What about weight? Is the Copal C the same as Copal 1?

Thanks,

Greg

vinny
24-Nov-2009, 07:14
Good, this looks like the one I will have. I'll use it for 4x5, so, plenty of movement. What about quality? What about weight? Is the Copal C the same as Copal 1?

Thanks,

Greg

These are all good questions you should have asked BEFORE you bought it:)
If it's the version with 58mm filter threads, it's a good one. Tons of movement for 4x5 and quite sharp. It's been my go to lens since I got it. Mine's single coated so I always use a hood/shade. Now that I've looked at the link, this isn't the one I've got. I don't know anything about that one.

Allen in Montreal
24-Nov-2009, 07:27
Greg,

67mm thread,
a touch heavy,
razor sharp,
beautiful glass, you will be happy, (I like Fuji glass)
Mine was in a Copal 1, silver ring.
tons of movement on a 4x5, the camera might run out before the lens:)

gregvds
24-Nov-2009, 07:45
@ Vinny: I know, I'm a compulsive buyer...

Thanks Allen, hope this will be the case.

Anyway, for 350USD, that's not a heck of a money for that, no?

We'll see, thanks averybody for the help,

Gem Singer
24-Nov-2009, 08:24
Greg, not to rain on your parade, but $350 is a high price to pay for a f5.6 Fuji 210 W in an older silver rimmed Copal shutter.

Last week on this forum, Keith Pitman offered a Nikkor f5.6 210W, in a newer all black Copal shutter, for $250, and he was even willing to take lower offers.

I use many Nikkor and Fujinon lenses interchangeably, and IMHO both brands are excellent performers.

Allen in Montreal
24-Nov-2009, 08:26
Gem is right on the cost, 350 is a touch high for that lens.
the market is getting better and prices are going up on some items,
but 350 is a little high. is it a done deal?

gregvds
24-Nov-2009, 08:31
Yep, sadly, it is done already.

Thanks, next time, I'll check here.
I didn't know there was a marketplace here.
Anyway, in euro in the end, it's not that bad (if customs are sleepy the day it arrives...)

Thanks Gem,

Greg

jchesky
24-Nov-2009, 22:18
I was told by an old photographer (older then me, so that made him OLD) that the price of the lens was in the satisfaction you got from the photos you took with that lens. The more satisfaction you got, the less the lens seemed to cost. May you be deliriously happy with the photos you take with you Fuji 210.

Jim

Jim Graves
25-Nov-2009, 00:34
I saw that lens on ebay ... it looks like it is in absolutely perfect condition ... I don't think you paid too much. There are a lot of bargain lenses around ... for a reason. When you find one in such gorgeous condition paying a little extra is worth it. And to top it off, you got a great lens. Enjoy!

gregvds
25-Nov-2009, 00:53
Actually, there was two of them from the same seller, and I took the best looking one, described as perfect in all the criteria (shutter, aspect, glass and so on). I found it to be a fair price indeed, at least in comparison with what I would pay for a new current one...

Thanks Jchesky and Jim Graves to reassure me about my rush buy :-)

It will go on my future Chamonix :-)

Greg

Ari
25-Nov-2009, 13:07
You will love that lens, and the price is about right.
I bought the older version with the lettering inside the barrel because apparently it has greater coverage than the version with outside lettering.
Either way, a fantastically sharp and contrasty lens.

gregvds
25-Nov-2009, 13:18
Good to know too,

Thanks Ari.

Lens is shipped already apparently :-)

rdenney
25-Nov-2009, 14:25
I have paid more and gotten less, and still been happy to have what I got. If the price here was a bit higher than the market, that doesn't mean it's too high.

(That said, I paid under $200 for a Sinar-branded Rodie 210/5.6 APO-Sironar-N in a newer Copal shutter. I waited a while for a deal like that, though.)

Rick "who has been beat on ebay a bunch of times, and now just comes here or to KEH" Denney

Richard M. Coda
25-Nov-2009, 15:01
I love mine! Use it as the main lens for 4x5 and have used it on the 8x10 a couple of times.

Eric Brody
25-Nov-2009, 15:03
I have had one since I bought it new from Helix in Chicago 1982 and it my most used lens on 4x5. It is sharp and has a large image circle. It was my only LF lens for a number of years.

Eric

AlexGard
20-Jul-2015, 05:36

$150ish paid for this

vinny
20-Jul-2015, 06:05

$150ish paid for this

I've never seen one go for that little. Heck of a deal. I just paid twice that for one in a copal shutter.
I have a 210w in seiko shutter I'm about to list if anyone needs one.

AlexGard
21-Jul-2015, 22:44
I was just playing with it yesterday trying to make some plates in overcast weather that was slightly inconsistent (lots of breaks of sunlight)

Does the single-coating change the EV at all in the UV/blue spectrum that might confuse wet plate exposures?

I found that what I usually get as a one stop different between overcast and slightly more sunny was more like 3 stops difference with this lens... or is that just the collodion?

ruilourosa
22-Jul-2015, 00:10
this is old info, i have the w, that has the lettering inside the rim of the lens not in the barrel. Mine is in decent condition without haze or scratches, the results are very good in 4x5 and 5x7 with moderate movements but for 8x10 i much prefer the super-angulon (or mabe a similar design outside the plasmat base design) as the corners in this fuji lens are so so, the lens claim 80º but the outer inch @ 32/45/64 seems always a tad soft, i´ve seen results from other examples of the lens and they all look the same. One thing: I enlarge! contact may work better.

angusparker
23-Jul-2015, 17:47
this is old info, i have the w, that has the lettering inside the rim of the lens not in the barrel. Mine is in decent condition without haze or scratches, the results are very good in 4x5 and 5x7 with moderate movements but for 8x10 i much prefer the super-angulon (or mabe a similar design outside the plasmat base design) as the corners in this fuji lens are so so, the lens claim 80º but the outer inch @ 32/45/64 seems always a tad soft, i´ve seen results from other examples of the lens and they all look the same. One thing: I enlarge! contact may work better.

Agreed. Computer 210/9 is another option for 8x10 but for a cheap fast lens the Fujinon 210/5.6 can't be beat.