PDA

View Full Version : 4x5 Enlarger List

Pawlowski6132
23-Nov-2009, 11:10
I'm looking for a list I can keep by computer that lists the most common 4x5 enlargers likely to be seen on the used market today. It's something I'll use while searching through ebay or craigslist. Sometimes the lister indicates the enlargers specifications, sometimes they don't. In that case, the list would save me some time communicating with the seller or doing the legwork on google.

I searched here but didn't find one. I'll bet one exists somewhere. Has anyone seen one?

thanx in advance for your help.

Joe

Skorzen
23-Nov-2009, 11:15
Omega D series
Besseler 45 series

Those two are probably 95% of what you will see on the market for 4X5.

ic-racer
23-Nov-2009, 11:19
In the US it is probably going to be Beseler or Omega as the most popular. For the Omega 4x5s, look at this site for a complete description with pictures. http://www.khbphotografix.com/omega/index.html

I'd look for a D5XL with Chromega II, and if too expensive, then work backwards in the Omega timeline (D5, D2, etc.) as your budget dictates.

Paul Bujak
23-Nov-2009, 16:59
You might also look for an LPL 7451 but you can't have mine! :D

Paul

DeBone75
23-Nov-2009, 18:48
Durst CE 1000, Durst Pro, to a lesser extent DeVer, Dujur, and Kodak prescission . All fine 4X5 Enlargers. All show up on Ebay for good price.
"I searched here but didn't find one. I'll bet one exists somewhere. Has anyone seen one?"
Where do you live. Someone in Pittsburgh has one with both condenser and color heads for $100.00 on Craigslist.

Pawlowski6132
23-Nov-2009, 20:10
Durst CE 1000, Durst Pro, to a lesser extent DeVer, Dujur, and Kodak prescission . All fine 4X5 Enlargers. All show up on Ebay for good price.
"I searched here but didn't find one. I'll bet one exists somewhere. Has anyone seen one?"
Where do you live. Someone in Pittsburgh has one with both condenser and color heads for $100.00 on Craigslist.

I live in South Bend. Uggh. Another reason to not live here.

:mad:

Bill Kumpf
24-Nov-2009, 06:16
Sounds like a "Road Trip" is justified.

Winger
24-Nov-2009, 08:09
That one sold within a day. A friend of mine had called them to buy it and when they called back to confirm directions to get there, it was gone. Not entirely nice of the seller, imo, as my friend really wanted it and was about to walk out the door to go get it.

Ron McElroy
24-Nov-2009, 18:46
Keep looking and don't be shy about trying to get one for free. I had an Omega D3 that noone wanted to buy. I gave it away last week to a fellow on APUG. He gets to setup a darkroom and I get the table back by my drawing board:)

Greg Blank
27-Nov-2009, 13:36
You wanted a list -right?

Ok the ones I have direct experience with;

Omega D5 <Available new>
Besler MXT <Available new>
LPL 4500 <Available new >
LPL 4550 Longer column <Available new>
Fujimoto <Available new> I know of two at close out pricing.

Omega D6 <almost the same as a D5> Used only.
Omega D4,D3, D2. Used D4 and D3 elargers were Auto focusing, using a specified cam to match the focal length of the lens and cone being used. <Can be a problem finding the cams>

All D enlargers can use the new D5 negative carriers with slight modification. Only the D5 and D6 use the current lens mounts which are combinations of discs and plates. Alot of the parts should be compatible.

I'm looking for a list I can keep by computer that lists the most common 4x5 enlargers likely to be seen on the used market today. It's something I'll use while searching through ebay or craigslist. Sometimes the lister indicates the enlargers specifications, sometimes they don't. In that case, the list would save me some time communicating with the seller or doing the legwork on google.

I searched here but didn't find one. I'll bet one exists somewhere. Has anyone seen one?

thanx in advance for your help.

Joe

LX45
3-Dec-2009, 23:38
check lpl 4500

Stephane
4-Dec-2009, 10:49
IFF Eurogon dichroic 4x5 (diffused light)

Pawlowski6132
4-Dec-2009, 12:54
Mission Accomplished:

Picked one of these up from a very helpful fellow member:

Omega Super Chromega D Dichroic II.

Couldn't be happier.

Thanx everyone for their feedback.

Andrew Bennett
22-Dec-2009, 11:12
I didn't quite get one for free- I paid one pound sterling on ebay for a Durst Laborator 138 with the colour head. It cost me quite a bit more in petrol when I went to pick it up.

Dave Dawson
22-Dec-2009, 12:04
Well done Andrew....Mine cost a bit more than a £ on *bay BUT the deisel was the companies:D

Cheers Dave

I didn't quite get one for free- I paid one pound sterling on ebay for a Durst Laborator 138 with the colour head. It cost me quite a bit more in petrol when I went to pick it up.

Allen in Montreal
22-Dec-2009, 13:04
I drove 1500 klms round trip for mine, it was worth it. :)

Dave Dawson
22-Dec-2009, 13:11
The Durst 138 is a 5"x7" enlarger but it will of course do 5"x4" (and down to 35mm):)

Cheers Dave

Thebes
22-Dec-2009, 14:45
Since no one's mentioned it:

There are the old Graflarger backs that turn a graflok backed 4x5 (I think there were other sizes as well) camera into an enlarger. Not so handy to use, from my playing around with one, but they do ship easily. You can still get the cold light replaced for a vc capable one, but beware of missing parts since they are hard to find.

This is probably not something you are interested in, but should be in any list of 4x5 enlargers because occasionally it will fit someone's purpose well.

rfesk
28-Dec-2009, 07:54
How about a Federal 450 ? I have one I plan on mounting a Aristo cold light head on. It is an easy fit.
Compact and can be taken down for frequent moves etc.

Also, an old Elwood 5X7 can be used for 4X5.

Ed Pierce
28-Dec-2009, 16:52
Don't forget the Zone VI

Floyd Waller
10-Jan-2010, 09:21
I bet not many of you have a Beseler 45H like mine! It should be a real classic and I wouldn't trade for anything!

Richard Rees
10-Jan-2010, 18:21
Floyd, How old is you Besler 45M, Mind is Serial# EN2920 Dated 8/24/1959. Still Works great.

Floyd Waller
11-Jan-2010, 16:01
Richard, I don't have a 45 M, I have a 45H before the M, it is a manual crank enlarger with an embossed Beseler cowl over the back of the chassis on an 1 1/2 inch thick hardwood base. It will take the same head accessories as the other 45's. Research found ads back about 1958 so possibly even older. It is the only one I have ever seen in person, that's why I made the initial comment. I have seen myriads of variations of 45M's but no H's except this one. I got it used about 1981.

John Powers
12-Jan-2010, 14:11
The LPL 4500 or LPL 4550 was sold by Saunders for a while and can show up as a Saunders 4550XLG/VCCE. That is with the tall post and a variable contrast head, 35mm - 4x5. I have that and a Durst 138S with an 8x10 cold light conversion.

There is a special 138S for sale on the Large Format form in Cleveland, OH. It can be disassembled to fit in a small sedan. http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=57832
I carried one and one half units from Detroit to Cleveland in a SUV.

John

jmcd
12-Jan-2010, 14:52
Beseler 45V-XL. A nice feature is the stationary shelf that holds the negative holder.

robert j fallis
17-Jan-2010, 09:23
I have a challenger 5x4 made in england in the fifties, lost of ally casting. cost 40 pounds when made, which is what I paid for it 50 years latter

bob