PDA

View Full Version : slide in roll film holder and technikardan S 45

giancatarina
10-Dec-2001, 13:54
i entend to buy a slide in roll film holder 56x7) to use with my new technikarda n S 45, after browsing a lot, i found that the toyo must be a good value for money, but i don't know if is not too thick for my camera, any suggestions ?

I really need a slide-in one because of dust while in the field, anyone compare rapid rollex to super rollex in therm of film flatness ? i don't understand why the rapid is cheaper than the super ?

Richard Stum / Kinesis
11-Dec-2001, 23:10
The Toyo is a good model, however with my Sinar back it is too thick, but just b arely. Check the manuf. specs or compare your camera to a friends Sinar. I have two of the Calumet models, but they have problems. Visit this link on my page (http://www.kinesisgear.com/opinion.html) for more info on Calumet backs.

Bob Salomon
12-Dec-2001, 19:31
The back on a modern Linhof will open wide enough to accept a Polaroid Pack Back (thicker then a Polaroid 45 back) it is very doubtful that the Toyo back is that thick.

As long as you have a Linhof TK you might also look at the Linhof Rapid Rollex 67 slide in back which is made in both 45 and 23 camera versions.

Richard Stum / Kinesis
13-Dec-2001, 11:30
Actually Bob, the Toyo slide in holder IS thicker than the Polaroid pack film ba ck (# 550) as I have this two of these backs. It works fine (yet snug) in a Sina r, but as I mentioned above the Toyo holder will not fit in a Sinar while using the hand l ever. One must pry the whole groundglass up and away for the Toyo holder to fit.

Kerry L. Thalmann
13-Dec-2001, 11:49
The Toyo back is 48mm thick in the 4x5 version (the 2x3 version is 47mm thick). The reason it is so much thicker than the Linhof, Cambo and Sinar slip-in backs is that it uses a simple straight through film path with one spool on each end of the holder. The other brands of slip-in backs place both spools on the same end allowing the body of the holder to be thinner. The straight through film pa th of the Toyo holder eliminates the tight hairpin turn required in the film pat h of the thinner slip-in holders. This simple design results in a thicker back, but one that is also quite a bit less expensive than the Linhof or Sinar backs. In addition to slipping in under the ground glass on cameras with sufficient c learance, it also is designed to work with the Grafloc style sliders on cameras so equipped. One way or the other it would work with your Linhof (although the use of the sliders would eliminate the convenience you seek in a slip-in back). You might want to call Jeff at Badger Graphic. He carries both Linhof and Toyo products. Assuming he has both in stock, he could probably give you a definiti ve answer to your question.

Kerry