PDA

View Full Version : First time loading my film

snommisbor
17-Nov-2009, 10:12
Ok so I am going to load my own film instead of the quickload so just so I know I am doing it right. I have some Fuji film (Pro 160 S, and Neopan 100 Acros) and on the box it says "The emulsion side is facing you when the code notch is in the upper right hand corner" Although the picture is showing the notch in the lower right hand corner.

So am I correct in thinking that when loading my film that I put the notches in the upper right hand corner with the emulsion facing me. Just wanted to be sure before I went and took photos.

Thanks

Rob

ic-racer
17-Nov-2009, 10:13
Upper right applies to vertical orientation.

bobwysiwyg
17-Nov-2009, 10:21
You might find this helpful also.

http://www.butzi.net/articles/filmload.htm

csant
17-Nov-2009, 10:21
------------------v--vv---

and the emulsion is facing you.

snommisbor
17-Nov-2009, 10:32
Upper right applies to vertical orientation.

Ok it now makes sense because I was viewing it to where I load the film horizontally by sliding in the film holder from right to left so that is where I was getting confused because if I load it that way the notches would be in the bottom right hand corner. By loading vertically from top to bottom the film would be in the top right corner.

Thanks for the link bob that is very helpful as well.

Rob

Heroique
17-Nov-2009, 11:23
Instructions for loading sheet film often fail here. When they say “film notches on upper right,” they almost always forget to mention the orientation of the film holder. And even when they do say “vertical,” an unsuspecting beginner may still be holding it with the film-entry slot either “up” or “down,” adding to the potential confusion.

And now that I’m thinking spatial geometry – even if one’s holder is “vertical” and the slot is “up,” putting the film in with notches lower left (i.e., notches going in first) is still okay. The emulsion would still be facing you. Just a matter of preference.

Joanna Carter
17-Nov-2009, 12:13
Ok it now makes sense because I was viewing it to where I load the film horizontally by sliding in the film holder from right to left so that is where I was getting confused because if I load it that way the notches would be in the bottom right hand corner.
No, the notches would be in the right hand bottom corner, not the bottom right hand corner; there is a difference :p :D :rolleyes: