PDA

View Full Version : Your Web site or Free Sites

Raymond Bleesz
16-Nov-2009, 09:14
Most of you more than likely have your own web site, designed as you see fit, and pay the fee/'s.

However, do any of you use as well or use only such free sites as Facebook, My Space or LinkedIn? What are your comments re: such? I understand Linkedin may be more targeted to the photo community.

A dialogue on this would be appreciated. Thank you

Raymond

Raymond Bleesz
16-Nov-2009, 09:24
I read Saulius's comment, as I did not see it prior to my posting, which was helpful.

Raymond

Drew Bedo
16-Nov-2009, 11:31
My website is www.quietlightphoto.

However, my work is also available on:

•Absolute Arts
www.absolutearts.com

•ArtSlant
www.artslant.com/global/artists/show/62474-drew-bedoo

Fine-Art.com
www.fine-art.com

Richard M. Coda
16-Nov-2009, 12:02
Personally, I wouldn't put anything on any of those sites (Facebook, Myspace, Twitter, etc.). I am on Linkedin.com, but more for my business, which is not photography, although I do have a link to my photo website. I also have a blog, which many people are using as main websites now, but I use that as more of a journal rather than loading up my main website.

The previously mentioned social websites are more for people who have lots of time to waste because they don't really do anything except text all day long. And, they are the wrong market for my work.

If you want to be taken as a serious photographer, you should have a real website that you have total control over. You can have all those other things, too, but not as your main website.

Preston
16-Nov-2009, 15:11
I have my own site and I post images to a couple of forums (including this one). I have no interest in FaceBook et al, nor the time to devote to them. I may do a blog at some point, but for now I am good to go.

I agree with Richard, a site over which you control is the best. A good site will take time to develop and update so that search engines can find your work. A blog may be helpful as well. I really don't see how Facebook, etc. would be truly helpful in promoting your work in a professional manner.

-P

Frank Petronio
16-Nov-2009, 15:43
I get a lot work from Facebook these days. My friends list has a lot of art directors. Go figure....

No, please don't friend me now.

Saulius
16-Nov-2009, 19:22
I get a lot work from Facebook these days. My friends list has a lot of art directors. Go figure....

No, please don't friend me now.

Oh, come one Frank, please!;)

Frank Petronio
16-Nov-2009, 20:11
Actually if you create a Facebook ad you can target specific demographics, narrowing it down to exact ad agencies, professions, alumni of, etc.

So pick Art Center grads, San Francisco, NY, LA, Minneapolis, Nike, etc... stuff like that. It's a short list.

Facebook rocks.

Gordon Moat
16-Nov-2009, 23:17
I have a fan page on Facebook, though mostly it is for listing a few items I find of interest. The image policy on Facebook puts me off posting images there. I think MySpace is dead, unless you want to photograph bands. LinkedIn is definitely a good networking site, and I have done several shoots through referrals there; added benefit is that they now include some discussion groups.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Gordon-Moat/14732240065

Beyond that I feel that if you work as a commercial photographer, you really do need your own website. The exception would be after you land a rep, because then your work can be represented through the website of your rep.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography (http://www.gordonmoat.com)

Ben Syverson
16-Nov-2009, 23:58
Be sure to read the EULA or TOS of any site you post to (particularly Facebook) before you post your images there. You may be giving them extremely wide use of your images.

percepts
20-Nov-2009, 02:22
Most of you more than likely have your own web site, designed as you see fit, and pay the fee/'s.

However, do any of you use as well or use only such free sites as Facebook, My Space or LinkedIn? What are your comments re: such? I understand Linkedin may be more targeted to the photo community.

A dialogue on this would be appreciated. Thank you

Raymond

What is the purpose of you having a website and what are your expectations of getting something back from it such as how much revenue do you expect from it or how many clients a month or how many sales a month?

The answers to those questions are likely to generate more meanigful response in terms of what direction is best to head in.

rdmahan
18-Dec-2009, 05:06
In regards to free sites, there is a site I have been toying with to host my design portfolio. cargocollective.com Some of my friends rave about it. From what I hear it is simple, free, customizable, and you can use your own url if you want. I noticed there is a lot if photographers on there, but it seems to good to stay free for much longer.

-Ryan

Tin Can
4-Feb-2021, 07:24
Any image posted anywhere online is immediately stolen including here

I have empty website URL just to keep thieves away

All data is scraped and saved for our permanent record that will be used against us

Wet Prints on your walls inside your home MAY be secure, but authorities do sneak in when we are gone

a common surveillance technique

Graham Patterson
4-Feb-2021, 18:32
I registered and maintain some domain names, and currently point them at a basic web space I pay for - but I am not in the commercial photography field. It is just a convenient place to put material that I make available. I spent the last twenty years in the IT field, so running a bare-bones web presence on a managed server is not hard work. The costs are just overhead on my hobby - like the electricity I use comes out of the house budget!

If I was going into it with an aim to handle money, I'd look at the services that offer a package of site editor, security, and shopping cart. The costs would then be part of a business plan.

Drew Bedo
8-Feb-2021, 06:29
My professional website is:

www.quietlightphoto.com

It displays some of my images and offers them for sale. This site is hosted by GoDaddy.

I also have a presence on www.artsyhome.com

More of my images are available there

Both sites are linked to each other.

I have a profile on Linkedin but have never gottn a referrel from it. A similar site "Alignable" is also not productive.

hallabang
17-May-2021, 10:07
Hi,

I guess the main problem with e.g. LinkedIn is how potential clients will see your portfolio. In my experience the best is to have a website that ranks high in google. For my websites (https://www.yvogreutert.com/barcelona-wedding-photographer) I get about 3k organic clicks per month which is better than any paid ad.
Linkedin is great to make professional contacts but less ideal for clients in my opinion. Instagram for on the other hand can be quite handy for getting clients.

Best regards,
Yvo Greutert
https://www.yvogreutert.com/