PDA

View Full Version : Fixing a Durst CLS2000 Color Head

ic-racer
15-Nov-2009, 14:43
I finally picked up a CLS2000 color head. The main reason I wanted it is because I wanted better evenness of illumination, compared to a coldlight.

I was going to do a complete rebuild and restoration, but the unit I picked up was in very good shape. Thanks to the air filters on the back, the innards were pretty clean. The dichroic filters were also clean.

Before plugging it in, I inspected every connection and every circuit board. I did find that the shutter looked to be rigged 'always open' and there was a big burn mark on the shutter motor printed circuit board.

ic-racer
15-Nov-2009, 14:46
After replacing the burned resistor, I checked the nearby relay and it checked out fine. I applied 24V to the input of the board and the motor spun and stopped as it should.

Those two open microswitches are pretty delicate, but it looked as if my CLS2000 head has never been split apart and tampered. This board had never been removed before.

This picture shows the new uprated 10 ohm power resistor in place.

ic-racer
15-Nov-2009, 14:49
This is a view looking up toward the bulb and filters. You can see the sliding shutter is now correctly closed in between exposures.

ic-racer
15-Nov-2009, 14:53
After double checking everything I plugged it all together and my first impression was that it was dead because nothing happened. After I triggered an exposure, the fans kicked in, the bulb lit and after a second delay the shutter opened. When I removed the trigger voltage, there was the correct one-second delay and then the shutter closed and the bulb turned off.

So, basically everything is working as it should!

ic-racer
15-Nov-2009, 15:06
Here is some potentially useful info on the CLS2000

1) It is NOT 37 lb as the brochure says
2) It is NOT 26", mine measured at 28" (just like the CLS1800)
3) It has a lever for the auxillary Y & M filters, but it is a SINGLE reddish filter. In color printing it lets your Yellow and Magenta get farther from Cyan, but in multigrade printing it is just a neutral density filter. If I feel the need, I guess I could just replace that filter with an additional Yellow or Magenta filter to extend either of those ranges (but not possible to extend both).
4) My 'top hat' had a factory plate over the opening for the hose.
5) There indeed were TWO fans in there. One up top and one for the mixing boxes.
6) The DENSITY dial acts by narrowing the beam with two shutters.

ic-racer
17-Nov-2009, 16:44
Now that the shutter is working I noticed the little brass lever on the shutter blade is very loose. It is brass and it is attached from the back like a rivet.

To tighten it up I wound silk thread very tightly around the base and under where it was loose. This tightened it up considerably. Then I added some alcohol-diluted epoxy to the thread to keep it in place.

ic-racer
21-Jul-2015, 10:19
This thread was filled with good pictures. They don't load to my browser any more. Is that true for anyone else? Does anyone want me to try and re-post the pictures?

Danewiev
21-Jul-2015, 11:15
Oh yes please - I was wondering what was wrong with my computor.

--- and thank you for your hint in the other tread (on cls 2000 shutter problem) to this tread - I will try to find the different parts you mention above.

Thank you.

bob carnie
21-Jul-2015, 12:03
any one have an extra power cord for this unit??

ic-racer
21-Jul-2015, 14:29

ic-racer
21-Jul-2015, 14:30

ic-racer
21-Jul-2015, 14:35
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v670/ic-racer/DSCF4796.jpg

JK!
31-Jul-2018, 16:06
Hello,

I'm wondering if the little switches on the shutter circuit board are supposed to be in positions as they are posted in the pictures below when the shutter is closed? One appears to be making contact and the other in a neutral position.

Thanks!

newvisionphoto
21-Aug-2019, 16:43
NO, but you can purchase tase them on ebay. They have the missing notch in the cord for attaching it to the EST2000 Mains in.
If I can find the exact name for the 3 prong heavy duty computer cable with the cut away, I will post it. Jay Overmoen