PDA

View Full Version : Marks on negative. Why?

Tiziano
10-Nov-2009, 14:47
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a135/tiziano_bruno/temp/img001small.jpg

I am trying to have a consistent workflow from shot to print.
This shot was taken with a Toyo LF camera, Rodenstock Apo Ronar 360/9 barrel lens, Shanghai film developed with Ilford D11 1:1, 16 minutes in tray, Epson V750 scanner.
What do you think of exposure/development?
And, why does the negative show all those marks?

I don't think that that's durst:
here is another image, which I processed in the same way, and in the same place. Only for 8 minutes instead of 16:

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a135/tiziano_bruno/temp/img004.jpg

As you can see, there is very little durst!

Why I did I get those marks in the still life shot?

Thanks!

Tiziano

bob carnie
10-Nov-2009, 15:15
first image has tons of dust on the negative
second image you have a problem with uneven development .{vertical banding on right side.)

rewash the film and hope for the best

Exposure Development looks to be ok
Did you scan through the sleeves?

Larry Gebhardt
10-Nov-2009, 18:38
I wasn't dust on the negative, or it would show up as black spots on the positives. Looks like dust while scanning. But if the marks are on the negative, I would have to go with film defects.

It does look like uneven development on the second one.

Ari
10-Nov-2009, 19:03
Development looks ok to me; I've been using Shanghai for a year now, and only occasionally do I get a solitary speck of emulsion "flaw" on a sheet of film. You may have got that one-in-a-thousand sheet with lots of flaws.
Also, if you're using a powdered developer (I don't know if ID-11 is liquid or not) maybe it was mixed at a lower than recommended temperature, and you're seeing developer flakes that didn't get dissolved.
Do another batch and see if this problem comes up again.
Good luck.

sun of sand
11-Nov-2009, 01:46
Isn't the banding just too vertical and evenly spaced for it to be development ..more focused background?
the area over shoulder on left seems more like something development related ..the first has some ghostly smudges, too

I'd say filter the developer etc
some of that looks like dust and even some water "trails" ?

These people know mroe than I do, though ..just my non-filmologist guessing

Tiziano
11-Nov-2009, 02:28
Thanks to All for your help.

About the banding on the second one, it is not banding. It's a blurred door frame in the background.
I didn't scan thorugh the sleeves.
About the developer, the ID11 is a power, but the same mix was used to develope both images, therefore I don't think it's the power.
About water trails, I don't know, but I used the same water for both images, and it's demineralized water. Only, the first image, the one with durst, I washed less then the second. Apart from washing, the only difference was in development time. Which one does look better, about development, the first or the second?

Thanks!
Tiziano

Tiziano
11-Nov-2009, 05:30
Thanks Andrew. I'll give that Era film a try, but I am not sure that those marks are defects in the film. I have learnt in the past that I am the weakest point of my equipment! :D

ic-racer
11-Nov-2009, 06:45
The debris on the negative are either electrostaticaly adherent to the film, or embedded in the emulsion.

Electrostatically adherent debris can be blown or dusted off the negative prior to putting the negative in the negative carrier.

Debris that are embedded in the emulsion are not so easily removed. Best to prevent that by doing the final wash in photofol and distilled H2O and drying in a dust-free cabinet.

bob carnie
11-Nov-2009, 08:00
I agree , I called it dust , but it is something adhering to the base or emulsion.. lets hope the base.

The debris on the negative are either electrostaticaly adherent to the film, or embedded in the emulsion.

Electrostatically adherent debris can be blown or dusted off the negative prior to putting the negative in the negative carrier.

Debris that are embedded in the emulsion are not so easily removed. Best to prevent that by doing the final wash in photofol and distilled H2O and drying in a dust-free cabinet.

Tiziano
11-Nov-2009, 09:31
Thanks Ic and Bob!
I'll wash again that negative today, and if the durst does not go away I'll wash all trays and try again. I have another negative just like that to develope. I need to get rid of those marks from my process!
I'll keep you posted!
:)

Tiziano
13-Nov-2009, 14:51
Thanks Ic and Bob!
I'll wash again that negative today, and if the dust does not go away I'll wash all trays and try again. I have another negative just like that to develope. I need to get rid of those marks from my process!
I'll keep you posted!
:)

The dust did not go away. I guess it was not dust. But I have noticed that the washing water was contaminated by some particles. Anyway the seond one I developed was ok.
Here is another experiment: I have changed the way of processing: I have replaced the tray with lightsafe tank.
Am I doing better now? How does this look?

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a135/tiziano_bruno/temp/img006s.jpg

Pat Kearns
13-Nov-2009, 21:28
That looks like contaminates in your chemicals and/or water. Get a funnel and coffee filter and filter your chemicals and water. That will probably rid about 98% of them.

Tiziano
14-Nov-2009, 02:10
Thanks Pat! I'll try that!

sully75
1-Aug-2010, 05:25
Also one thing I was doing that was stupid: drying all my equipment with a bath towel. Left tons of small threads all over the place. Since I stopped that dust is less of a problem.

jp
1-Aug-2010, 13:52
First photo looks like basic dust. Keep your darkroom/film loading area clean and dust free. As sully75 said, don't dry things with a bath towel. Keep static down. If it's not ON the film presently, it probably was when you took the photo and before you developed it. I've taken to storing my film holders in anti-static bags and have almost entirely eliminated dust in processed images.

My scanner is in another room than my darkroom, and I have a heck of a time keeping that dust free. It's a big regimen of cleaning that before I use it each time. That 1/8" gap between the lid and glass of the epson v700 isn't ideal for keeping it clean. Perhaps I'll have someone make a cover for the whole thing like people used to with their VCRs and turntables in the days of old.