PDA

View Full Version : Scanscience mounting system

Duane Polcou
10-Nov-2009, 13:14
Has anyone used the scanscience system to wet mount 4x5 film on an Epson flat bed scanner, and do you feel the scan is substantially better in terms of sharpness than using the Betterscan dry-mount 4x5 film holder?

Peter De Smidt
10-Nov-2009, 17:42
Whether wet-mounting is a benefit depends on both the scanner, especially the type of light source, and the film. For example, with a Canon 9950F, wet-mounting led to a big improvement in the scanning of grainy film, but not such a big improvement with very fine-grained film. With my Cezanne, I don't find any improvement with wet-mounting.

Scan Science uses a proprietary fluid. It's main claim to fame is that it's supposed to be safer than alternatives such as Kami and Prazio mounting fluids. The formulator of the Scan Science product claims that Kami and Prazio are dangerously flammable. However, I've used them for years, and I've never heard of a problem.

I've heard very good things about the Betterscan holder. Isn't there a version that allows wet-mounting?

sanking
10-Nov-2009, 17:51
I've heard very good things about the Betterscan holder. Isn't there a version that allows wet-mounting?

One can buy the Better Scanning holder for only fluid mouinting, or for fluid and dry mounting. http://www.betterscanning.com/scanning/mstation.html

Sandy King

patfahey
12-Nov-2009, 19:25
[QUOTE=Peter J. De Smidt;526710]Scan Science uses a proprietary fluid. It's main claim to fame is that it's supposed to be safer than alternatives such as Kami and Prazio mounting fluids. The formulator of the Scan Science product claims that Kami and Prazio are dangerously flammable. However, I've used them for years, and I've never heard of a problem.
QUOTE]

Although the ScanScience FM adapter does come with their own "special" fluid it's not required. I use Kami with mine.

The benefit I get with the ScanScience FM adapter is that is allows 8x10 slides and negatives to be fluid-mounted for scanning on the Epson V750. I don't believe that the BetterScanning adapter allows films that large to be FM'd. You might not care about 8x10 (you only mentioned 4x5), but I wanted to add the clarification about the proprietary fluid.

Good luck. -Pat

Peter De Smidt
12-Nov-2009, 20:59
Why won't a simple piece of glass allow you to wet-mount on any scanner with a big enough light source? Put on opaque mask on top. Wet mount to the bottom. Put shims (I use tape) in each corner such that the negative is held at the ideal height.

patfahey
13-Nov-2009, 11:25
Hi Peter,

You're right. The ScanScience adapter is made up of a very thin, supposedly high optical grade, glass, combined with a set of easy to use shims. It also includes the consumables that you need to get started with fluid mounding.

I've never used the BetterScanning adapter so I am not sure how that one works.

Here's a link to the ScanScience adapter for Epson:

http://www.scanscience.com/Pages/Epson_V_Kits.html

The adapter I have is the 8x10 "all-in-one" kit.

-Pat

Peter De Smidt
13-Nov-2009, 12:35
Focal Point, http://www.fpointinc.com/index.htm, is a good source for optical quality glass.

Steve Wadlington
14-Nov-2009, 10:10
On an Epson 4990 I consistently had problems on scanning 6x17cm pano, 4x5,5x7. The film would pop during the scan yielding out of focus areas. I made a cardboard mask the thickness of the optimum scan height for my scanner (about1.7mm). I wet scan using picture frame glass with the neg suspended on the bottom, fluid mount with mylar. As Sandy has mentioned the Epson is good for about 4x enlargement. People claim you can scan 35mm and print 13x19????? Don't think so.

The wet mounting process takes no more time than having to rescan negs when you realize it has popped focus during the scan. There can be a slight decrease in grain, slight increase in micro-contrast and slightly smoother tonal range.

Wet scanning is worth it for me. I would like more than 4X but the "WIFE" can't justify me spending more for the scanner.