PDA

View Full Version : New Graflex Book

Jay Allen
8-Nov-2009, 15:24
Several of you have asked what my new Graflex book is about.

The book is about "Creativity" and it is a a challenge to photographers who wish to excell beyond where they are currently.

Nothing stays the same - We either improve and do better or we fall behind.

This book is about getting back in the darkroom.

It is a book about optics.

To use optics not to just talk the talk on the internet.

Today, anyone can take a sharp photo but how many of you can create a dream in an image that you make.

It is a book that suggests there may be more to a Graflex camera than what most think.

Creative Graflex Photography is a self published book about 50 pages.

This product is completely written, marketed and desktop published by Jay Allen.

This is not a coffee table book. It is a book designed to motivate the photographic reader.

The cost is $35 + 5 - for US postage =$40) Sent to Jay Allen -- 1526 S New Jersey Street - Indianapolis, Indiana 46225.

Jay Allen

Rust Never Sleeps
8-Nov-2009, 17:11
What is "a dream in an image that you make" and who exactly is to say what is a bad image or a image oozing utopia?? Anybody with a couple of brain cells could make a sharp photo in say the 1940's, that didn't stop Adams from shooting landscapes and being very successful or all the other fantastic pros or anybody else back then.

There are all sorts of things to photograph in all sorts of ways and while some come and go as far as "what is in now" there is no style or trend that is better than another. As far as the photographer is happy shooting what he/she shoots and the customer/viewer of the artwork is happy then that is all that matters.

I have seen many sharp photos but I personally didn't like the composition or the lighting or whatever else. If sharpness was the only thing to worry about in a photo well that sure would be nice. In landscape photography alone there is still so many possibilities for creativity even if shooting F64 style if one just gets off the beaten path and shoots from areas that have never had tripod legs in them, and shoot a mix of different seasons and weather.

Anyway the book sounds interesting and I hope I get to see it one day. I love different ideas of creativity, I just hate it when people put one above other. Cheers and good day sir...

Jay Allen
8-Nov-2009, 18:19
What bothers me is what I saw when I went to Rochport, Mass.

The art galleries had made a choice.

Yes, they had beautiful very large landscapes that they that they were selling -- but they were not made from large format equipment..

They were digital.

So if the new high quality landscape work is now going to be digital where is large format going - where is the future for LF ?

If I say F:64 is dead, -- 40 of you guys run to the computer and say it is not so ---- !

But the reality of change is in front of us.

My new book offers one answer, as to how to move forward and still use film and chemistry.

Jay Allen

Rust Never Sleeps
8-Nov-2009, 19:39
Why does it matter if they were digital or large format?? As long as the images were good I don't see why somebody would care. I mean were people saying they would only buy pictures from a digital source. Did info cards next to prints say "Digital made, not old school large format". Many current large format photographers are still doing fine shooting LF.

If I had money to burn I would have a digital kit for spontaneous shooting on day hikes and use the 4x5 for the serious pre planed and scouted stuff. Would the digital stuff not be wordy for a wall to hang on?? So I can only print and sell the large format stuff?? I have seen what I thought was a bad picture from all formats and vise versa. Shooting large format or digital in the end will not make or break a photo but the photographer behind the camera will. Each has its ups and downs and will appeal to each photographer in different ways.

As for the death of large format, I will believe it when it happens. When I bought my 4x5, Rod at Photomark said he was selling plenty of LF stuff. I have been looking for used lenses lately and the places I have been checking are moving stuff at a good pace. I remember in the late 80's and early 90's about how in a decade we would not be using desktop computers anymore but something totally different and revolutionary and here we are still using desktops and will be for many years. So I laugh when all these Nostradamus wannabes tell me that large format is dead and I will be forced to use digital.

Also I believe many will come back to large format at least for part of their work as the digital craze loses some of the novelty and they want a little romance while working with a camera.

Jay Allen
9-Nov-2009, 03:56
You ask why does it matter if Landscapes are made with LF or digital ?

As far as the print is concerned is seems the landscape does not care. Digital cameras do the job quite well.

But for film photographers, who wish to do more it matters a great deal.

I have judged photo club prints for years and most the club prints are very good buut not great.

For photographers that are happy doing good prints, I say keep doing the good work.

But for the few that wish to go beyond where they are currently at - my measage is that the Graflex camera and its special lenses could offer new direction.

There is a reason that many great photographers embraced the Graflex.

They could have used a view camera but they did not make that choice.

Jay Allen

r_a_feldman
9-Nov-2009, 10:30
Hmm. I think we are talking about religion here. ;-)

jnantz
9-Nov-2009, 12:12
the great thing about using any camera, is
that the operator can photograph more than just landscapes.

let the digital-murals be landscapes, that is fine with me ..

Toyon
12-Nov-2009, 15:10
What bothers me is what I saw when I went to Rochport, Mass.

The art galleries had made a choice.

Yes, they had beautiful very large landscapes that they that they were selling -- but they were not made from large format equipment..

They were digital.

So if the new high quality landscape work is now going to be digital where is large format going - where is the future for LF ?

If I say F:64 is dead, -- 40 of you guys run to the computer and say it is not so ---- !

But the reality of change is in front of us.

My new book offers one answer, as to how to move forward and still use film and chemistry.

Jay Allen

Do you mean "Rockport" or "Rochedale", MA?