PDA

View Full Version : Using an Epson v750 to scan 5x7

r.e.
5-Nov-2009, 11:11
Given that this scanner does not come with a 5x7 mount, how should one go about scanning a 5x7 negative or positive?

I understand that Better Scanning makes an after-market mount that covers 5x7. I'd appreciate comments on that mount from anyone who has experience using it.

Thanks.

Jeremy Moore
5-Nov-2009, 13:48
Take a piece of glass and wetmount your negative to it or take a piece of anti-newton glass and tape your negative to it. Put this piece of glass (side with negative facing down) on the scanner with a thin washer in each corner holding it up off the glass.

Make a scan of a small section at hi-res.

Add a washer to each corner (the glass is now supported by 2 washers stacked together in each of the 4 corners). Scan again. Compare to the previous scan. If it's sharper add another washer and scan again. Repeat until adding a washer makes your scan less sharp. At that point remove 1 washer from each corner and you have a good height for scanning on your scanner.

Of course, washers are cheap and readily available, but you could also do it with coins or anything else you want like typing paper..

Bjorn Nilsson
5-Nov-2009, 14:32
I use a BetterScanning mounting-station and I'm very happy with it. There is nothing magical about it, simply a very sturdy piece of machined plastic and a piece of glass. But it's very well done and once you get the workflow going you can scan any film up to 5x7" with precision and definite flatness. (I.e. there is no need to recalibrate once you've calibrated a 5x7 for precise height.)
And yes, the key to success lies in wet-mounting. Apart from the flatness issue, it's somewhat like cold-light in that it supresses dust and scratches. On the other hand, it secures optimum flatness, which gives optimum sharpness. It's a little bit messy until you've got the hang of it, but it's really worth the extra effort as the difference is visible.

//Björn

Jeremy Moore
5-Nov-2009, 18:44
Take a piece of glass and wetmount your negative to it or take a piece of anti-newton glass and tape your negative to it. Put this piece of glass (side with negative facing down) on the scanner with a thin washer in each corner holding it up off the glass.

Make a scan of a small section at hi-res.

Add a washer to each corner (the glass is now supported by 2 washers stacked together in each of the 4 corners). Scan again. Compare to the previous scan. If it's sharper add another washer and scan again. Repeat until adding a washer makes your scan less sharp. At that point remove 1 washer from each corner and you have a good height for scanning on your scanner.

Of course, washers are cheap and readily available, but you could also do it with coins or anything else you want like typing paper..

Sorry, should have said that this is how I do it. The BetterScanning platform won't work with 8x10 film so I started doing the above.

r.e.
5-Nov-2009, 18:50
Jeremy,

Sounds pretty good to me. Do you put a slip of paper or something under the washers to prevent the washers from scratching the scanner glass, or is that too fussy/unnecessary?

Jeremy Moore
5-Nov-2009, 19:30
Jeremy,

Sounds pretty good to me. Do you put a slip of paper or something under the washers to prevent the washers from scratching the scanner glass, or is that too fussy/unnecessary?

I only use the scanner for scanning negatives and they sit outside of the used area so I don't care if I scratch the glass.

kub
10-Nov-2009, 08:48
Given that this scanner does not come with a 5x7 mount, how should one go about scanning a 5x7 negative or positive?

I understand that Better Scanning makes an after-market mount that covers 5x7. I'd appreciate comments on that mount from anyone who has experience using it.

Thanks.

V750 should come with an extra plate of glass mounting system for wet mounting, it was included in the pacakge.

Ken Lee
10-Nov-2009, 12:49
You can find the detailed instructions on the BetterScanning (http://www.betterscanning.com) web site itself...

See http://www.betterscanning.com/scanning/usingmstation.html

r.e.
10-Nov-2009, 13:03
Thanks, I've read that. Do you use that mount?

Mostly, I want to scan black and white and colour negatives to determine which ones go in the trash and which ones go to the gentleman who scans and prints my photographs. We have a working relationship, he knows what I want and he does good work. I use my scanner for deciding what I want to take further; I don't do my own printing.

Ken Lee
10-Nov-2009, 13:45
Yes, I use the BetterScanning mounting station when doing my final scanning - but if all you intend to make is proofs, you don't need to bother with a mounting station.

If the film is highly curved, you can just tape the negatives to the glass (with the right kind of tape), and what you have will be plenty good enough. Otherwise, don't even bother to tape it down.

Jeremy Moore
10-Nov-2009, 15:48
Mostly, I want to scan black and white and colour negatives to determine which ones go in the trash and which ones go to the gentleman who scans and prints my photographs. We have a working relationship, he knows what I want and he does good work. I use my scanner for deciding what I want to take further; I don't do my own printing.

If you need a proof, just drop the negative on the glass. Scan as b&w negative and inspect. I do this with all of my negatives.

Example:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3451/3886486982_37f2a12502_b.jpg

emo supremo
8-Jan-2010, 21:12
This holder from BS: is it a wet, a dry or a wet OR dry type of holder? I'm finding it an important question to ask i.e., what the part number and item description of this holder is you folks obtained from from BS is? There seems to be two holders featured for by BS for the V7xx scanners. When I ordered one on their website it said "Holder for V750" but (in addition) there was a separate hyperlink for a combination holder/ANR glass package, so I clicked that. Just before sending my cashier's check I enquired to make sure and, sure enough, that holder/glass combination will NOT permit wetmounts. I had to cancel the order and am kind of in limbo here. Could you be explicit for us? None of us need another holder (however improved) that doesn't meet expectations.
Down at the camera shop they told me to use Mineral Oil instead of Kami fluid. Comments anyone?
Teflon and plastic washers are available at Ace and such hardware stores.
Also, is Kami fluid substitutable with some other liquid readily available from the chemist (at vastly reduced prices)?

D. Bryant
9-Jan-2010, 07:09
If you need a proof, just drop the negative on the glass. Scan as b&w negative and inspect. I do this with all of my negatives.

Oh Jeremy, You cut your rolls into strips of 4? What blasphemy!

Don

Bjorn Nilsson
9-Jan-2010, 07:22
I take it you're talking about the MountingStation. If you intend to do any dry mounting, you should order the "dry AND fluid" version, which uses an ANR glass. (There are possibly other ways of getting to their ordering page, but this is (http://www.betterscanning.com/scanning/directpricing/mstationp.html)where I find it. You can choose from either "fluid mounting only" or "dry and fluid".)
I don't understand how any possible combo of the Mounting Station will not permit wetmounts. Wetmounts can be done on both standard glass and ANR glass, while DRY mounting needs ANR glass (which is why the "dry and fluid" version is more expensive).
There is a lot of information on the pages, which (I take it) have been written by Doug in the best of intentions to be as clear as possible.
Anyhow, for mounting fluid I use Kami. Nice and clean to work with and no residues. As you only use a few drops per negative, a quart bottle goes a long way. (There are other brands, but check this and other forums for comments and reviews. There is also a page with links on the BetterScanning pages.)

//Björn

Bjorn Nilsson
9-Jan-2010, 07:26
Oh Jeremy, You cut your rolls into strips of 4? What blasphemy!

Don

Isn't that what happens with most C41 lab processed films? (I.e. blasphemy. :) )

//Björn

Doug Fisher
9-Jan-2010, 15:17
For clarification, yes, Bjorn is correct. The mounting station can do fluid scanning, or optionally, fluid + dry scanning (the latter incorporates the expensive AN glass).

Doug
---
www.BetterScanning.com