PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone identify this Arca Swiss

NoBob
2-Nov-2009, 05:48
I came across this Arca Swiss in a shop. There's no model name or anything on it. It's got gray and black plastic controls/knobs.

http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/7353/arcaswiss1.jpg

http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/3229/arcaswiss2.jpg

They're asking equivalent of around $1,300. It comes with a Rodenstock Sironar 135 f5.6 lens, Hoya filter, and an all-in-one sliding roll film back holder (there's even a roll of [now exposed] film in it!) with ground glass, but seems pricey to me.

Thanks.

brian mcweeney
2-Nov-2009, 06:18
Seems pricey to me too.

Sascha Welter
2-Nov-2009, 06:55
First of all, the camera is set up the wrong way around. Doesn't matter much, but the focusing knob is on the wrong side this way and the bubble level should be on the film side, so you can keep an eye on it in the last moment before you expose the film (to catch any moved tripod legs etc).

Some of those knobs are black, not gray, in my similar vintage Arca. I also doubt that the red bellows are original.

Apart from that it's an old Arca-Swiss, somewhere before the 80s (could be 50s/60s/70s). I think they don't know what they have, so they exaggerate the price.

Frank Petronio
2-Nov-2009, 07:13
Is there a sheet film back? Is it 4x5? From the angle of the second photo it looks like it might be 5x7 but maybe it is distorted? A roll film back is semi-worthless.

It is a very early Arca, they did make small knobs like that and also red bellows. It is overpriced by 3-5x even if it has a back. If it is a working 5x7 then it would be rare and desirable and worth more, but not $1300, more like $500.

Kirk Fry
2-Nov-2009, 23:42
I have one exactly like that one except my bellows are black. It is an early B series (Just base (B) tilt). I paid $180 for it 15 years ago. That one has the nice optical bench on the bottom which is not usually seen. They are wonderful cameras, but not $1300 wonderful. If you need parts your only choice is Ebay. It is not an 5X7. The standards are the same size. Where is back for it? Don't but it for any price without the back. No one will sell you a back alone. KFry

RK_LFteacher
3-Nov-2009, 08:38
This an Arca swiss 4x5 B(base tilt) built until roughly 1983 when the F-line cameras came out.
No levers, no bellows frames available any longer. Also, they work well and are light but,
The delrin/plastic? rail guides some times shrink and crack--No longer available.
Otherwise OK cameras. Come back if more questions.
Rod

neil poulsen
4-Nov-2009, 10:15
Way too expensive at $1300. You could find an Arca Discovery or maybe even a Classic F 171mm for that price. A more reasonable price for these models would be in the $300-$500 range.

If you get one of these older Arcas, they depend on foam seals to prevent light leaks. I have an older 6x9, and the seals appear to be in pretty good condition. Modern Arcas do not depend on foam light seals.

John Schneider
4-Nov-2009, 23:26
Look at what you can get (F-Classic) for far less at KEH and forget this shop.

sultanofcognac
4-Nov-2009, 23:53
Yes - it's the Basic B. . . the A was Axis-only tilt, B for Base-only and C had a combination of axis and base tilts. The lens and roll-film holder give a bit of credibility to the price but not $1300 worth. $500 is probably tops if it includes a back (which isn't in the photo).

A 4x5 back isn't too hard to find. I have an extra that I bought for about $100 a few years ago (but for my Plaubel Profia 8 x 10) and they do pop up now and then on evilbay.

Chase the price down to $500 or even $600 (if you really want it) but I wouldn't suggest you pay much more.

Good luck!

P.S. It's really a great camera but I prefer axis tilt - makes focusing easier when you use tilt. :)

NoBob
6-Nov-2009, 02:34
Thanks all. There's no 4x5 back, so if you include the time and hassle involved in getting one of those, it's not worth it. If I were in the US, maybe, as it would probably be a lot easier, and cheaper, but as I'm not...

Don't think I could get the shop owner down to $500 equivalent anyway. too much of a drop.

Frank Petronio
6-Nov-2009, 05:16
Without the back it's only worth the value of the parts. The rail and bracket is useful even with the current model Arcas, so it's worth at least $100, and the lens is easily worth $150. But you see similar older Arcas, complete with backs, sell in the $300-$500 range so I wouldn't offer more than $200 for it myself.

You'd do better to buy some of the crack the dealer is smoking.

eduardtoader
21-Dec-2009, 14:48
Hello!

I“ve heared something about Arca.. Last Friday I saw this little monster.. It comes with one film holder and a Rodenstock 240mm COPAL 3. They“re asking 2000 euro for bring it to my home.. Is too much? The camera it“s OK. ( excellent to mint ). The back and the bellows is like new.

Can you tell me more about this model? Is a good 8x10 camera? Where I can read more?

Sincerely thanks!

Armin Seeholzer
21-Dec-2009, 16:18
Sorry even 300 is almost to much for this old cam, its not like a stradivari which gets better with more age!!!

For the 8x10 would be 600 okay but I would never buy a camera where I can't get any new parts anymore!

Just my 2 cts. Armin

Struan Gray
22-Dec-2009, 02:00
Two similar Arca 8x10 kits have recently sold on the UK ebay for £400 or so. €2000 seems far too much, unless there is a hugh pile of lenses and accessories.

eduardtoader
22-Dec-2009, 07:52
sincerely thanks.

happy holydays for all.