PDA

View Full Version : Epson 3200 photo scanner win7 64-bit

Kirk Fry
30-Oct-2009, 22:04
Anyone figure out how to make this work? KFry

drew.saunders
31-Oct-2009, 12:30
Maybe run XP in a VM? http://www.virtualbox.org/ is free.

Epson is better than most about updating drivers, even for older scanners, for newer OS's.

Kirk Fry
31-Oct-2009, 21:06
Drew, good idea. My approach so far has been to run Xp on a real machine and connect the scanner to that box. After 2 hrs of loading a 8 year old OS I got it running. If I had not gone to 64 bit I think it might have been ok. Not every 64 bit driver for Vista works in Win7. Silverfast and Epson both promise Win7 64-bit drives "any day now". KFry

Ken Lee
1-Nov-2009, 11:04
Speaking of VirtualBox - how does it compare to commercial offerings, like those from VMWare, which also lets you run Windows under other OSs ? (I use it to run Windows 2000 on the Mac)

Kirk Fry
1-Nov-2009, 23:44
Update from Epson.
Dear Kirk,
I am sorry you are experiencing difficulties finding Windows 7 64-bit driver for your Epson Perfection 3200 PRO. Epson currently has only a Windows 7 32-bit compatible driver. Please check our Microsoft Windows 7 Support Page at www.epson.com to find the latest information on available drivers for your scanner.
Should you require further assistance with this issue, please reply without history (when possible), as our email system contains all previous correspondence.
Thank you for contacting Epson.

domaz
4-Nov-2009, 22:51
Try vuescan? I don't think it even really uses the Epson driver- although I could be wrong. Vuescan on Linux should have no problems though.

Paul H
8-Nov-2009, 02:49
Speaking of VirtualBox - how does it compare to commercial offerings, like those from VMWare, which also lets you run Windows under other OSs ? (I use it to run Windows 2000 on the Mac)

VirtualBox is fine. I run it at home and at work, on Mac OS X and Linux hosts, running a variety of guest operating systems. I actually prefer it to VMware server (free one). It will import VMs from VMware and Microsoft Virtual PC formats.

rogergross
13-Jan-2012, 10:45
The following web address tells you how to adapt an existing Epson driver to work with Windows 7. I followed the instructions and it works.

http://www.softwarecandy.com/shop/free-tips/make-your-epson-perfection-3200-photo-work-with-64-bit-windows-7

Leonard Evens
13-Jan-2012, 12:15
I have been using an Epson 3200 scanner with Vuescan under Fedora 14 Linux on a 64 bit machine for months. I don't rmember having any problems getting it to work.

The machine is also a dual boot machine on which I also run Windows 7, and I believe the scanner ran fine under Windows.

I've recently upgraded to a higher end Epson scanner, and it turns fine on the same machine under Fedora 14 Linux and Veuscan, and I believe it also works fine under Windows 7 with th Epson software.