PDA

View Full Version : Tripod plate...

Derek Kennedy
28-Oct-2009, 11:46
Hope I placed this in the right forum...

Recently won a auction for a Calumet 4x5 rail camera. I have *zero* experience with this sort of LF camera so far. At the moment I only have a Anniversary Speed Graphic so I have no idea on what I'm asking about here. :confused:

On the center(?) rail, there appears to be an attachment for a tripod. None of the photos show the bottom of it but it appears that this is the tripod 'head'?

Basically what I need to know is what about a plate for that attachment? Is it basically built in? Do I need a base plate?

I simply can't afford another tripod (the one I use now for my DSLR/Speed Graphic is pretty sturdy and can take the weight) but I'm not sure about a plate for that camera.

Where (in Canada??) can I get a proper plate/head for that sort of camera?

Link (http://www.fullphoto.com/auction/ebay/StockPhoto15Oct/Calumet991.jpg) to a photo of the camera. No it didnt come with a lens but I have one on the way anyway from a different source.

ANY help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Derek

bvstaples
28-Oct-2009, 12:43
The devise in the center is the rail clamp. There should be either a 1/4" or 3/8" threaded hole/insert in the bottom. This is where you attach your current tripod. It is not the tripod head, but it attaches to the tripod head. Once attached to the head you can loosen the clamp and move the camera back and forth on the rail (to balance it, mostly). If it's 3/8" and you only have a 1/4" screw (1/4 by 20), you can get an insert to reduce the mounting hole.

I don't believe you need a mounting plate of any sort for this, unless you want a quick-release plate, which I wouldn't recommend for an LF camera. And even though you say you have a pretty sturdy tripod, there are other forces at work with a monorail camera. It acts like a big lever, and when you put a lens on it, load up a film holder, and sling a dark cloth on it, even the sturdiest of tripos begin to wobble. For instance, I have a Manfrotto that claims to have a 21 lbs. payload capacity. My Cambo monorail 4x5, with lens, film holder and dark cloth, weigh in at a little over 11 lbs., about half the capacity. But in a good gust, or when fidgeting with the controls, it bobs up and down. More of an annoyance than anything else, but consider not only your weight but your "leverage" when putting a monorail on your tripod.

Hope this helps.

Brian

D. Bryant
28-Oct-2009, 13:13
I don't believe you need a mounting plate of any sort for this, unless you want a quick-release plate, which I wouldn't recommend for an LF camera.

?????????????!!:confused:

Derek Kennedy
28-Oct-2009, 13:25
The devise in the center is the rail clamp.

Rail clamp - ok - thanks for the clarification on that part. At least now I can use the proper terminology when asking questions/googling!

I might be good to go as far as the insert is concerned...when I bought a Hassy from the studio, they threw in a baseplate that has a insert to reduce the thread size so maybe I can use that if needed.

If I remember correctly my tripod (also a Manfrotto) is good for 21 lbs or close to it, works well with my Speed Graphic but you are right about the size of the rail camera with lens, film holder and dark cloth having problems in the wind so I just might have to save up for a better, sturdier tripod but at this time there just isnt any cash available for one. So thank you for the reminder of the wind issue - normally I wouldnt take it out in windier days but Im sure at some point I will.

I would have to agree that a QR wouldnt be a good idea with such a large/heavy camera.

Thanks for your reply Brian - greatly appreciated.

Derek

Jon Shiu
28-Oct-2009, 14:12
I have the same camera, Calumet CC-400, or CC-401. I have used it on a quick-release plate with 1/4" mount. Had no problems with a medium weight tripod, so would just try it with the tripod you have now.

Jon

Derek Kennedy
28-Oct-2009, 14:18
I have the same camera, Calumet CC-400, or CC-401. I have used it on a quick-release plate with 1/4" mount. Had no problems with a medium weight tripod, so would just try it with the tripod you have now.

Jon

Thanks Jon.

Cant try it until it gets here, its on the way :P (should have it around the 2nd)

Cant wait to be honest!

Derek Kennedy
3-Nov-2009, 16:38
Got the camera yesterday and placed it on my tripod. It almost works...

I had to add a shim (sheet of modeling plastic cut to fit on top of the plate) in order to allow the quick release to lock properly. But, it does work. Now I just to wait for my lens to arrive!

rdenney
3-Nov-2009, 16:47
If you have a Manfrotto tripod head that takes the hexagonal plates, get a plate with a 3/8" flush screw to screw into the tripod adapter. It will be secure and tight if you use a screwdriver (I used this same setup for decades).

What kind of head does your tripod have? I find that the heads can be as wobbly as the legs or moreso, so you may just need to invest in a more robust head for now. The Bogen 3047 (which is made by Manfrotto) has been available in various forms for at least 30 years, and used ones typically sell for $25 or less. They are excellent for a big, heavy camera, and they take the hexagonal plates.

Rick "all heads screw to the legs with a 3/8" screw" Denney

Sevo
3-Nov-2009, 17:28
I'd stay clear of Manfrotto 030 hex and 200 small plates - these are not supposed to hold something with the weight and leverage of a LF camera, and will be wobbly or might even unlock.

DIN (ARCA etc.) or Manfrotto 410 plates (on their bigger heads - code RC4 - or standalone as 394 takeup/plate assembly) are more safe and stable.

rdenney
4-Nov-2009, 16:06
I'd stay clear of Manfrotto 030 hex and 200 small plates - these are not supposed to hold something with the weight and leverage of a LF camera, and will be wobbly or might even unlock.

With all due respect--this is utterly untrue. I used the Manfrotto/Bogen 030 hex plates for many years and never had a hint of an issue, even when mounting a bulky Cambo view camera sideways.

The current Manfrotto high-load head that uses the hex plates is the 229, which is rated at 12 kilos (25 pounds on this side of the pond). Nothing in my experience indicates this rating is exaggerated. This head has the highest load rating of any of their three-way or geared heads.

The 130 plate is the same plate, but has a flush-fitting mounting screw that allows it to be mounted on the camera semi-permanently. I have several of these and also several with thumbscrews, and the plates themselves are basically the same. They also have a 100mm square plate with the hex shape on the bottom, for cameras that need a larger platform.

The only reason I don't use these any more is that I standardized on Arca-Swiss plates, which opened the door to much greater flexibility across my various camera systems, and which fit better on the cameras I use. But for someone needing a cheap solution, there is no better deal than a used Bogen 3047 and a hex plate for use with a view camera. These can often be had for $25 or less.

Rick "wobbly? Huh?" Denney