PDA

View Full Version : Fuji 250mm f6.7

shadow images
21-Oct-2009, 18:52
Are there any Fuji 250mm f6.7 to avoid? This is for 8x10, thanks.

Drew Wiley
21-Oct-2009, 19:05
I loved the 6.7 I had (it eventually got stolen). Covered 8x10 reasonably well. But
guess I was lucky, because mine was actually multicoated. Single-coating should be
fine too. Replaced with with a 240A, which has similar coverage and is much more
compact, but not quite as bright, if this is an issue.

ic-racer
22-Oct-2009, 06:48
When I researched it a while back it seemed like both the EBC 250/6.7 and earlier 250/6.7 had the 398mm image circle (here is a reference you may or may not have seen). http://www.thalmann.com/largeformat/specs.htm

So the one to avoid is the 6.3 if you want movements.

Rodney Polden
22-Oct-2009, 11:26
When I researched it a while back it seemed like both the EBC 250/6.7 and earlier 250/6.7 had the 398mm image circle (here is a reference you may or may not have seen). http://www.thalmann.com/largeformat/specs.htm

So the one to avoid is the 6.3 if you want movements.

Actually, if you check the specs you referred to, you'll see that Kerry mentions (in an asterisked footnote), that the 250 6.7 is non-EBC. The later f6.3 version was EBC multi-coated. Drew's f6.7 lens that was multi-coated is the only one that I have ever seen mentioned in the literature, all others have been listed as single-coated. An EBC version would be terrific, I'm sure....;)

The single-coated (straw-coloured) lenses that preceded them were very fine, and quite adequate for most uses. Indeed, one poster a while back who had worked on the line of lenses (maybe Lynn Jones? sorry, if that's incorrect) gave the opinion that the 6.7 version, even though single-coated, outperformed the later versions.

For most users, and for most purposes, the Fuji 250 f6.7 will be a very happy choice to shoot with, particularly for its 8x10 coverage with meaningful movements. One of the great under-appreciated lens classics, IMHO.

shadow images
22-Oct-2009, 11:45
Thanks for the replies. I picked up a 6.7 to replace my 6.3. I have got some great photos from the 6.3 with my 8x10 but had to be sure the lens was dead center.

Allen in Montreal
22-Oct-2009, 13:15
Lyle,

You will be happy the 6.7
I picked one up here on LF and I am amazed at how sharp and crisp it is, I really have come to love that lens very quickly.

Jeremy Moore
22-Oct-2009, 13:24
Pairs beautifully with the 360mm f/6.3 Fujinon on 8x10 for a nice lens set.

Lynn Jones
27-Oct-2009, 14:09
This lens was discontinued (for a poorer version that was multicoated) and then brought back by popular demand. This fantastic lens is an 80 degree coverage conventional coating for 10x12 film size, 398mm coverage at infinity and f22. It was one of the most popular 8x10 lenses around. The list price in the late 1980's was $1,251.00, and well worth it. In those days, I wrote all the literature and catalogs.

The later multi coated 250 f 6.3 only covered 64 degrees or 312mm (ho hum). That is why we raised hell with Fuji to get the old f6.7 lens re-manufactured.

Lynn

Michael Graves
28-Oct-2009, 09:41
Thanks for the replies. I picked up a 6.7 to replace my 6.3. I have got some great photos from the 6.3 with my 8x10 but had to be sure the lens was dead center.

I'm thinking you had an anomaly. My 6.7 covers with room for movements. It is easily my most heavily used lens on 5x7 and 8x10, and probably my second-most heavily used on 4x5.

shadow images
28-Oct-2009, 10:04
Pairs beautifully with the 360mm f/6.3 Fujinon on 8x10 for a nice lens set.

Trying to find a reasonably priced one now or a 450mm.

neil poulsen
28-Oct-2009, 20:07
This lens was discontinued (for a poorer version that was multicoated) and then brought back by popular demand. . .

Interesting.

Do multi-coated 6.7's exist? Or, was the version they brought back single coated?

Sal Santamaura
29-Oct-2009, 04:00
This lens was discontinued (for a poorer version that was multicoated) . . .

Interesting.

Do multi-coated 6.7's exist? Or, was the version they brought back single coated?No, the best information available indicates that multicoated 6.7s never existed. The poorer version Lynn is referring to is the 6.3.

ic-racer
29-Oct-2009, 05:49
Actually, if you check the specs you referred to, you'll see that Kerry mentions (in an asterisked footnote), that the 250 6.7 is non-EBC..

I think I linked the wrong page. In this (http://www.thalmann.com/largeformat/page11.htm)price list there are two 250mm 6.7 lenses listed. One is EBC and the other is non-EBC. Perhaps they left out an asterisk on that one.:confused:

Sal Santamaura
29-Oct-2009, 07:40
I think I linked the wrong page. In this (http://www.thalmann.com/largeformat/page11.htm)price list there are two 250mm 6.7 lenses listed. One is EBC and the other is non-EBC. Perhaps they left out an asterisk on that one.:confused:That price list erroneously listed the 250mm NWS as 6.7. It should have correctly indicated 6.3.

In this post from one of the many Fujinon multicoating-related threads one can find in the archives here

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showpost.php?p=19045&postcount=27

Kerry wrote:

"...These types of errors are VERY common in the Fujinon literature. In fact, some are a bit humorous. For instance, the 7/82 brochure which featured major changes to the Fujinon product lines, actually has tiny bits of paper containing corrections that were physically cut-and-pasted onto the brochure. How'd you like to have that job? Thankfully, the quality control in their manufacturing department is much better than in their marketing department..."

john biskupski
29-Oct-2009, 10:29
This is not quite on subject, but can anyone help a newbie to LF on this one? I recently acquired a near-mint 250/6.7 off the auction site for 5x7 use, and it is mounted low on a custom off-centre 95mm lens board. Does anyone know what the purpose is of this mounting? Is it for use with drop bed cameras? Thanks for any info.

ic-racer
29-Oct-2009, 10:40
That price list erroneously listed the 250mm NWS as 6.7. It should have correctly indicated 6.3."

Thank you Sal.

aduncanson
29-Oct-2009, 10:45
This is not quite on subject, but can anyone help a newbie to LF on this one? I recently acquired a near-mint 250/6.7 off the auction site for 5x7 use, and it is mounted low on a custom off-centre 95mm lens board. Does anyone know what the purpose is of this mounting? Is it for use with drop bed cameras? Thanks for any info.

Does the lens board look somewhat like this one used on a Linhof Technika and several other makes?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/31341-REG/Linhof_001026_Flat_Lensboard_for_1.html#features

I have just assumed that these lenses are mounted below center because the front fall capability of these cameras is somewhat limited. Not all technika boards are drilled off center.

john biskupski
29-Oct-2009, 13:03
Yes, that's about the positioning. I think your assumption is correct about why off-centre, so many thanks.