PDA

View Full Version : 4x5 flash

vic blount
30-Mar-1999, 22:09
Am having a ball with my first 4x5. My progress on a learning curve is really a flat line at this stage. However, the X on my caltor lens means it has a synchronized flash. Right? If so, where do I find info on the flashes? Or is it studio lighting all the wa y? Am used to fill flash in the 35mm format. In depth responses will be greatly appreciated. I am really new at this. Thanks Vi

Ellis Vener
31-Mar-1999, 03:45
You can use any flash that has a "pc" type sync connection from a vivitar 283 up to multiple 4800w/s studio units. sync speeds are from B to what ever the faste st speed on your lens is. And yes you may need a flashmeter, but you can also us e the auto mode on flashes like a Vivitar 283.

Peter Hughes
31-Mar-1999, 12:45
Many people buy complicated lighting set-ups that they have no need for and no idea of how to use properly. My suggestion is to start simple: a 300 watt-second monolight (a self-contained, AC-powered flash), something to soften the light (such as an umbrella or soft box), and a reflector to add fill (a large card or foam board, white on one side, silver on the other). You'll also need a lightstand and possibly some type of bracket that allows you to swivel the light. You can determine your exposure by test, thus saving you the cost and complications of a flash meter. For examples of what can be done with precisely such a setup, see: http://www.ravenvision.com/rvafaceofaids.htm

Blake
31-Mar-1999, 13:16
Thus spake the dark one....hehee Why not just try your strobe first then move to the mono/reflector/stand thing (sounds more expensive than a flashmeter) . Peter this is the Reverend High Master Thurd, the one who brought you onto this plane sooooo many eons ago through the ritual for the humonculus, remember Peter you have an unknown father..... father, yes that's right, search your darkened soul mmm hmmm right right that's right your father is L Ron Hubbard...Do my bidding...Peter....Go out and take photos of people in hoods and cloaks, attend more medieval fairs....dance through the forrests at midnight on the high holy solstices....haaawwww hehehehhhheeeehheee ho , oooohhhh snnnnnnoooooooorrrrrrttttt. hee

Bill Jefferson
8-Oct-1999, 07:39
I modified a Sunpack 555 long handle flash to fit the Crown Graphic Battery case holder, by modifing a pair of clamps. Works great, and also use a flash/light meter, to cut down on wasting film