PDA

View Full Version : Getting full-frame with 4990

byronfry
19-Oct-2009, 15:56
Hello Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone had any tips on getting a full-frame image (film edges included) while scanning a 4x5 negative on an epson 4990. Also, are the film holders it comes with quite accurate or would I be best picking one of these http://www.betterscanning.com/ and wet mounting? I will be scanning 4x5 and 120 Colour Neg and BW .

Thanks

Brian Vuillemenot
19-Oct-2009, 19:06
Wet mount. Or, if you're not as concerned with film flatness and just need to capture the whole film area, just lie it directly against the glass.

D. Bryant
19-Oct-2009, 19:39
Wet mount. Or, if you're not as concerned with film flatness and just need to capture the whole film area, just lie it directly against the glass.

You don't even need to wet mount with the betterscanning holder.

Don Bryant

Frank Petronio
19-Oct-2009, 19:55
Or crop at will and just add the edges in Photoshop ;-)

Richard Wasserman
19-Oct-2009, 20:15
Frank, how do you sleep at night? :)

Ben Syverson
21-Oct-2009, 21:50
Wet mounting is a mess and throwing the negative on the glass is Newton Ring City.

Get some ANR (Anti Newton Ring) glass, tape the negative to it (emulsion side facing ANR, careful not to let the tape intrude on the image) with crystal clear scotch tape, and suspend it just over the glass using risers on the edges.

In Photoshop, just select the tape in the edge area and fill it with black sampled from the edge.

I scan everything from 120 to 8x10 on the 4990 using that technique, and it works great. You get 100% of the frame and beyond.