PDA

View Full Version : Fuji Brings 4x5 B&W Instant Film to US

tgtaylor
15-Oct-2009, 13:55
I just logged onto the Fuji website to check the exposure compensation for Velvia 100F (I have 31 expired but refrigerated QL sheets in the fridge and have decided to use them) and saw: "FUJIFILM BRINGS FP-100B 4X5 BLACK AND WHITE INSTANT FILM TO US MARKET" http://www.fujifilmusa.com/press/news/display_news?newsID=879791

Kirk Gittings
15-Oct-2009, 14:02
Very interesting......

Harley Goldman
15-Oct-2009, 14:30
There is a niche for this film but not for Acros Quickloads? Hmmmmmmm.

Ed Richards
15-Oct-2009, 17:42
Some of the high end wedding photographers who are using film to define their market niche are shooting instant film and building tiny take away albums for the couple and the family. The hook is that they are one of a kind shots, and they get them while the rest of the stuff is out for processing.

r.e.
15-Oct-2009, 18:19
Some of the high end wedding photographers who are using film to define their market niche are shooting instant film and building tiny take away albums for the couple and the family. The hook is that they are one of a kind shots, and they get them while the rest of the stuff is out for processing.

They're doing this with 4x5?

brian mcweeney
15-Oct-2009, 18:52
B&H has it in stock for $29.00.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/618826-REG/Fujifilm_15948893_FP_100B_Professional_Instant_B_W.html

dsphotog
15-Oct-2009, 18:52
YAHOO!!
Next wedding I shoot, I'm taking the Crown Graphic!
The tough part is selling the add-on.

Kirk Gittings
15-Oct-2009, 19:06

Ditto!

r.e.
15-Oct-2009, 19:15

With the greatest respect to you and Kirk Gittings, I suspect that there are a lot of people in the North American market who are a good deal more interested in this than in Acros Quickloads; and in any event, something is better than nothing.

Thanks tgtaylor for the heads up, and brian for the street price, this will be part of an order for film that I'll be making tomorrow.

Renato Tonelli
15-Oct-2009, 19:22

I'm thinking the same thing.

BradS
15-Oct-2009, 20:43
With the greatest respect to you and Kirk Gittings, I suspect that there are a lot of people in the North American market who are a good deal more interested in this than in Acros Quickloads; and in any event, something is better than nothing.

Thanks tgtaylor for the heads up, and brian for the street price, this will be part of an order for film that I'll be making tomorrow.

instant b&w is much more useful to me than quick loads. now we can get back to checking exposure on tricky lighting before shooting the money shot!

Thanks Fuji!

Andrew O'Neill
15-Oct-2009, 20:56
I used this film a lot when I lived in Japan. It's a very nice film.

vinny
15-Oct-2009, 21:24
It's been available here for a several months. I thought there were a few threads on the subject but I guess you guys missed out. It's a good product but it's not 100 asa as advertised, more like 160. I've contacted fuji about it but they don't seem to care. The fuji PA-145 holders have nearly doubled in price in the last 16 months but it's nice to have the options.

Dirk Rösler
15-Oct-2009, 23:51
Re. QL vs. Instant - Peel apart instant has a lof of legacy industrial applications as well, a solid customer base (for now). It's not just LF photographers alone. Compare this to 4x5 b/w sheet film and I bet the volumes are far lower.

Ed Richards
16-Oct-2009, 06:38
The other problem with QL Acros is one I would face - I shoot Tmax, but would keep a couple of boxes of Tmax QL in the car in case I ran out of holders on a shoot. What it really meant was that I did not have to be so careful about loading enough holders. But Acros QL would not interest me because it is not the film I use, so I would just be more careful about the holders. Acros QL would only sell to the folks who normally use Acros, while the Instant, being the only game in town, sells to everyone who wants to do instant.

MIke Sherck
16-Oct-2009, 07:11
Can you use a Polaroid holder for tihs, or does it require the Fuji holder?

rdenney
16-Oct-2009, 09:55
Can you use a Polaroid holder for tihs, or does it require the Fuji holder?

As I understand it, the Polaroid holder for 4x5 pack film will work, but not the 545i which is for Polaroid sheet film. I seem to recall it's the Model 550. It is identical in appearance to the Fuji PA-45.

Rick "who bought the Fuji model, and later saw the Polaroid model in a store for $15" Denney

MIke Sherck
16-Oct-2009, 10:40
As I understand it, the Polaroid holder for 4x5 pack film will work, but not the 545i which is for Polaroid sheet film. I seem to recall it's the Model 550. It is identical in appearance to the Fuji PA-45.

Rick "who bought the Fuji model, and later saw the Polaroid model in a store for $15" Denney

Thanks for clarifying that for me.

Mike

bvstaples
16-Oct-2009, 11:45

How about the Polaroid 545 (not the "i" model)? I have this one that I use for Type 55. Does anyone know if the Fuji fits in this holder?

Alan Rabe
16-Oct-2009, 11:51
No the regualr 545 will not work. It is for single sheet film only.

rdenney
16-Oct-2009, 12:13
How about the Polaroid 545 (not the "i" model)? I have this one that I use for Type 55. Does anyone know if the Fuji fits in this holder?

All the various 545 models (the 545, which is all metal, the 545i, which is plastic, and the 545 pro, which includes a timer) are intended for Polaroid sheet film, which is sadly no longer available. There is no instant film that will fit these holders. But Fuji Quickloads can be used in a 545. The Quickloads are conventional film installed in the same sort of paper sheath used by Polaroid sheet film. They must still be sent to a lab for processing.

The Fuji instant materials come in 10-exposure packs only. They can only be used in a Fuji PA-45 or Polaroid 550 holder.

Rick "who has a 545 and a PA-45, and really wishes Type 55 was still available" Denney