PDA

View Full Version : Comparison: The Maxwell Screens - Ultra vs Standard?

NewBearings
14-Oct-2009, 13:36
Appreciate any opinions about the Maxwll HI-LUX Brilliant Matte 4.7 vs HI-LUX Ultra Brilliant Matte 4.7

TIA!

pocketfulladoubles
14-Oct-2009, 14:13
Can't comment on a comparison, but I have the Ultra and it is quite bright, but it is more "focused" requiring that you keep your head further away while setting up the scene, and doing more bob-and-weave if you are close.

NewBearings
16-Oct-2009, 21:00
Thanks, P. What focal lengths are you using?

pocketfulladoubles
19-Oct-2009, 12:02
Thanks, P. What focal lengths are you using?

65mm through 450mm. Very usable at all of them.

NewBearings
19-Oct-2009, 19:45
65mm through 450mm. Very usable at all of them.

Tempting!

However it's not like the standard screen isn't already pricey http://www.runemasterstudios.com/graemlins/images/doh.gif

Would love to hear a comparison or two from photographers using them in the field.

anchored
19-Oct-2009, 23:33
As the post hasn't garnered any comparisons... and I can't offer one either having never viewed through the Maxwell Ultra Bright: I can tell you the standard Maxwell screen is a vast improvement over any other screen I've looked through (3 different Linhof setups, Canham, Cambo, Sinar, Wisner, Zone VI, and others).

As bright as the standard screen is, I'm not sure the extra $100 for the Ultra Brilliant is really necessary for most applications or cameras. No problems with any lens ranging from 75-300mm... and most images can still be easily seen well enough in most lenses for focus with the lens stopped down to f32. For the first time in two years I've been able to fully utilize the Linhof's pop-out ground glass shade without always having to use a dark cloth.

Expensive maybe, but I categorize the Maxwell Standard Screen the best accessory investment I've made for my Linhof Master Technika.

NewBearings
20-Oct-2009, 19:17
As the post hasn't garnered any comparisons... and I can't offer one either having never viewed through the Maxwell Ultra Bright: I can tell you the standard Maxwell screen is a vast improvement over any other screen I've looked through (3 different Linhof setups, Canham, Cambo, Sinar, Wisner, Zone VI, and others).

As bright as the standard screen is, I'm not sure the extra $100 for the Ultra Brilliant is really necessary for most applications or cameras. No problems with any lens ranging from 75-300mm... and most images can still be easily seen well enough in most lenses for focus with the lens stopped down to f32. For the first time in two years I've been able to fully utilize the Linhof's pop-out ground glass shade without always having to use a dark cloth.

Expensive maybe, but I categorize the Maxwell Standard Screen the best accessory investment I've made for my Linhof Master Technika.

Thank you both! I think I've made a decision :)

Doug Dolde
20-Oct-2009, 22:48
The only camera that the standard Maxwell screen doesn't improve on is an Arca Swiss which already has a great screen.