PDA

View Full Version : Similar 4x5's to Cambo SC-2 model

Curtis Lowe
14-Oct-2009, 07:19
Does anyone know if there are any other camera makes which fit the same film holders and lens boards as the Cambo SC-2?

David Karp
14-Oct-2009, 07:39
Film holders: Every 4x5.

Other cameras: Almost all modern Calumet and Cambo 4x5 and 8x10 cameras since the original SC. There is a very simple Cambo/Calumet monorail, whose name escapes me, that takes a smaller board. There are older Cambo 4x5 monorails that do not take the current boards. The C-1 8x10 takes different boards as well. That leaves you with Cambo SC, SC-N, SCX, Legend, 45SF, Ultima, and Calumet 45N, 45NX and 45NX-II. There was also a Cambo camera with L shaped standards, like a Horseman, but the name escapes me.

Curtis Lowe
14-Oct-2009, 07:51
Do you know if any of the Shen Hao or Ebony models have the same lens board size and film holders as the Cambo SC-2? Someone told me they did but I'm not sure if that is the case.

aduncanson
14-Oct-2009, 08:01
The more recent simple Calumet monorail which does not use Cambo boards was called the Cadet. Cambo/Calumet also made some 6x9 cameras and cameras for use with digital backs which used a smaller lens board. The Cambo 6x9 SF cameras could be adapted to 4x5 by using a tapered bellows and a 4x5 rear standard and so become a 4x5 Cambo camera using the smaller lens board. I would guess that such adapted beasts are relatively rare.

Cambo cameras can be adapted to accept the Shen Hao/Ebony/Linhof/Wista etc board. Not the other way around.

BrianShaw
14-Oct-2009, 08:49
This interesting discussion might address your questions with the answers you seek:

http://photo.net/large-format-photography-forum/00Uj4Z

aduncanson
14-Oct-2009, 09:38
This interesting discussion might address your questions with the answers you seek:

http://photo.net/large-format-photography-forum/00Uj4Z

Brian, Was there some emoticon that you meant to use? ;)

Curtis,

Having read your post at photo.net and understanding that you are concerned about the cost of a Cambo, I would point out that used Cambo 4x5's are very inexpensive (between $100 - $160) and that you could not buy a lens board and a decent sized box of film for the difference in cost between a used Cambo and and the cheapest used view camera available.

This doesn't mean the the Cambo is the ultimate camera for you, but it is a great place to start as the system is expandable to address almost any photographic need.

Curtis Lowe
14-Oct-2009, 09:39
Cambo cameras can be adapted to accept the Shen Hao/Ebony/Linhof/Wista etc board. Not the other way around.

I think that answers my question, thanks.

David Karp
14-Oct-2009, 09:48
Cambo made a very nice adapter that adapts Technika-type boards to Cambo cameras. I believe they also made similar adapters for Toyo field boards and Graphic boards.

S.K. Grimes can also create adapter boards from Cambo to other board types.

BrianShaw
14-Oct-2009, 10:10
Brian, Was there some emoticon that you meant to use? ;)

Yes, of course. :D

venchka
14-Oct-2009, 12:28
Was the film holder question answered?

Cut film, or sheet film, holders for 4x5 cameras are all the same.

Roll film (120 or 220 film) holders are different. They fall into 2 types: The kind that attach in place of the ground glass (Graphic & Linhof, etc.) on a Graflock or International back camera and those that slide under the glass like a cut film holder. Calumet one of those, there may be others.