PDA

View Full Version : Linhof Tech III Serial Number and Questions

apfes
13-Oct-2009, 06:25
I have what is labeled as a Linhof Technika III and I believe it to be an early version. I know there are 5 different versions and I wanted to get a date on it to confirm as mine is completely different from two owned by friends. The serial number on the bed is 5414. It has a Kalart rangefinder with cam and an HR solenoid on the lens board.

As you can see from the third image the cloth viewing hood has ripped off due to age and the latch for the hood failing. Ideally, I would like to fix it, but haven't had luck so far. I would try to find a replacement back if I knew which model it is. I have had this camera and used it for 10 years, and would like to get this fixed if possible. Any recommendations on where to go in New York or a place that may have parts? I can always cut the hood away, but the latch is still broken so the door no longer stays closed.

When I have more time I will get better pics up.

Thanks in advance for any help or opinions.

http://picasaweb.google.com/AnthonyFesta/Linhof?authkey=Gv1sRgCPmYrM7QiNWd0wE#5392072184808209954

http://picasaweb.google.com/AnthonyFesta/Linhof?authkey=Gv1sRgCPmYrM7QiNWd0wE#5392072191553554322

http://picasaweb.google.com/AnthonyFesta/Linhof?authkey=Gv1sRgCPmYrM7QiNWd0wE#5392072187394676626

jbenedict
13-Oct-2009, 06:50
I have what is labeled as a Linhof Technika III and I believe it to be an early version. I know there are 5 different versions and I wanted to get a date on it to confirm as mine is completely different from two owned by friends. The serial number on the bed is 5414. It has a Kalart rangefinder with cam and an HR solenoid on the lens board.

Check over at Cameraquest (www.cameraquest.com) Stephen has a lot of info on Technikas and may have a list of serial numbers also.

Interesting that it has had a Kalart rangefinder added later. I'd like a rangefinder on my III and had never considered that. (I have a couple of new Kalarts in boxes, too...)

apfes
13-Oct-2009, 07:19
I actually did check out Cameraquerst (http://www.cameraquest.com/techs.htm) and my serial does not fall into his listing. Hoping maybe someone out there has a better list or can point me somewhere.

As for the rangefinder, it is set for a 135mm but the camera came with no lens when I got it, yard sale find, so I picked up a Nikkor W 135mm and its pretty close on accuracy, but not 100% on point with the focus.

Brian Ellis
13-Oct-2009, 07:45
Bob Salomon at HP Marketing usually jumps in here to answer serial # questions. You might try calling him (they're a little low-tech, I think a call is better than email).

Peter K
13-Oct-2009, 09:01
As for the rangefinder, it is set for a 135mm but the camera came with no lens when I got it, yard sale find, so I picked up a Nikkor W 135mm and its pretty close on accuracy, but not 100% on point with the focus.
Your Technika is a very early III from 1947 or so. But possible Bob knows more. It will be hard to find a better viewing hood, but you can exchange the whole back with a newer one. Try to exchange the back with one of your friend's Technika's.

With the "new" back you have to align the infinity stop for your Nikkor W 135mm by grinding a new notch in the top rail, so the lens and the viewfinder should work together.

Peter

jbenedict
13-Oct-2009, 09:45

Look over at www.graflex.org and they will have an article on adjusting the Kalart rangefinder. It's not too hard and you can get it right on the spot.

Rangefinder use can be convenient. When you have the camera on a tripod while walking around looking for pictures, it can be handy to handle things that come and go quickly- like light, placement of an animal, etc. You have the wire finder so wouldn't need to get another viewfinder.

apfes
13-Oct-2009, 10:56
I've never even thought to adjust it, but thanks, I will certainly give that a try. For now I may just cut the hood away until I come across something to replace it. Thanks to all for the input, it's most appreciated.

anthony.

Bob Salomon
13-Oct-2009, 14:59
Your camera is one of a series that was introduced in late 1946 and ended in mid 1954. Yours is on the early part of that production so it is about 1947 or 48. Linhof service in the USA is Marflex Service in NC. Any NYC dealer can help you with getting the camera to Marflex if you don't want to send it yourself. They are the sole source of repair parts for Linhof in the USA. But the factory no longer makes parts for your camera so you will have to contact Marflex to see what is available. 252 652 4401 or marflex@aol.com

apfes
13-Oct-2009, 18:42
Bob, thank you so much, I will contact them tomorrow. You all have been so helpful, I really appreciate it.