PDA

View Full Version : Crown Graphic and 3rd party roll film backs

alexi
8-Oct-2009, 09:23
Hello Everyone,
I am not only new to this forum but also looking to get into large format. I want to get a Crown Graphic to start with and was wondering if it is possible to use Horseman or Linhof super rollex roll film backs.
Thank you.
Alexi

Mike1234
8-Oct-2009, 16:50
Yes, just make sure you buy the correct back for the size of camera you buy... and 6x12cm will only work with a 4x5 camera. You'll need a camera with a Grafloc back.

IanMazursky
9-Oct-2009, 09:19
I bought one of the DaYi 6x12 backs off ebay and it fits my Crown perfectly.
Although you may have to take off the GG back to avoid scratching it.

Bob Salomon
9-Oct-2009, 09:52
"and 6x12cm will only work with a 4x5 camera. You'll need a camera with a Grafloc back."

Depends on whose 612 back you buy.

Bob Salomon
9-Oct-2009, 10:03
Hello Everyone,
I am not only new to this forum but also looking to get into large format. I want to get a Crown Graphic to start with and was wondering if it is possible to use Horseman or Linhof super rollex roll film backs.
Thank you.
Alexi

Your crown can use Linhof Super Rollex, Techno Rollex and Rapid Rollex backs for 4x5. It can also use Wista roll film backs.

rugenius
10-Oct-2009, 12:39
It can be confusing....
My understanding is that modern and vintage "universal" backs are "Graflok compatible" and should all work with your Crown Graphic
IE Linhof, Wista, Horseman, Sinar, Calumet, etc,...
Although rumored that some fit better than others to a particular camera back...

Here's a clip of info, I hope it's accurate:
Graflok backs.
This was introduced in 1949 and became standard equipment on Speed and Crown Graphic cameras in all sizes by about 1950. Any older Graphic can be fitted with a Graflok. They were also available on Graflex SLR cameras on special order and could be used to re-fit the Graflex back. The Graflok is something like a combination of the Graflex and Graphic back but does not accept Graflex accessories. The lock ridge is on the holder, like Graphic backs, so the Graflok is not compatible with Graflex holders or accessories. The Graflok has an easily removable ground glass panel, which includes the springs. That leaves the back open with sliding strips, like the Graflex back, to accept accessories. It should be possible to replace any Graflex or Graphic back with a Graflok back. Current "Universal" backs are very similar to the Graflok and will accept all holders and accessories which fit the Graflok.