PDA

View Full Version : Arista Edu Ultra 100 - 4x5 & 8x10 Differences?

Jim Cole
7-Oct-2009, 14:25
To anyone who has used the Arista Edu Ultra 100 film in both 4x5 and 8x10, have you noticed any differences in the performance of the film, or would you consider them identical?

I am having a 4x5 film test done by Fred at the View Camera Store and plan to use the same film with my 8x10. Curious to know if I will need another film test for ExpoDev accuracy.

Thanks

ic-racer
7-Oct-2009, 16:45
It is slow and has no linear reciprocity in the film plane luminance range that you would have in many 8x10 situations.

Since there is no reciprocity to speak of, using it is way, way, way beyond the zone system :)

After testing the 8x10 film many ways I got the best results bracketing some typical scenes. So, bright shade 30 sec /f45 works well. In 'forest' shade I was using around 3-10 minutes at f/45.
Evening sunlight, about 4-10 seconds at f/45.

Once you figure out how much exposure you really need, it works fine. In fact I just got another 50 sheets the other day.

But to answer the question, YES I think the 8x10 emulsion is the same the 4x5, which I also use. The thing is, at f45 you will need more reciprocity failure compensation on the 8x10 than shooting f22 on the 4x5. If you were use the same aperture number with both films they should respond the same.

jeroldharter
7-Oct-2009, 16:46
I don't know the answer but I wonder if separate testing is truly needed if using the same film in BTZS tubes in different formats, e.g. will my testing for TMY2 in 4x5 tubes be "close enough" for the same film in the same developer at the same temperature in 8x10 tubes. My eyeball test says yes but I wonder if anyone has confirmed that.

ic-racer
7-Oct-2009, 17:00
Not sure what kind of "film test" you are having done, but I'd recommend wildly over exposing some scenes you usually shoot to "test" it for yourself.

In terms of development gamma, my usual of 0.65 to 0.7 works fine. I can print most of the negatives between "O" and "2" grade.

Jim Cole
7-Oct-2009, 17:27
Not sure what kind of "film test" you are having done, but I'd recommend wildly over exposing some scenes you usually shoot to "test" it for yourself.

It's the film test for Phil Davis' BTZS (Beyond the Zone System).

A lot more info than I can provide by doing the standard zone system tests.

Thanks for the other info.

Jim Cole
7-Oct-2009, 17:46
I don't know the answer but I wonder if separate testing is truly needed if using the same film in BTZS tubes in different formats, e.g. will my testing for TMY2 in 4x5 tubes be "close enough" for the same film in the same developer at the same temperature in 8x10 tubes. My eyeball test says yes but I wonder if anyone has confirmed that.

Fred Newman at the View Camera Store said that there should be no difference for the TMY-2, but to keep and eye out for discrepancies just in case.