PDA

View Full Version : Puzzling scratches on FP4 film base

Jim Michael
6-Oct-2009, 15:01
I just processed some fp4 from our trip to Oregon. In viewing the film with a loop I'm seeing numerous scratches or stress lines of some sort on the base side. The weird thing is, the scratches appear to be orthogonal to all motion the film went through during loading and processing, i.e. across the short side. The film never travelled in the direction of the scratches - physically impossible due to how stored etc. I'll get scans today but word is the scratches don't show in the scans, which is good, but I think they might be an issue if I optically print any of them. In looking at some other negs from the same pack shot before the trip they have the same lines. Looks like it might be a defective lot. It looks like the lot number is 398BFM1C02/02-8 exp Dec 2010.

Jim Michael
8-Oct-2009, 08:25
Well, I've got to hand it to Ilford. I received a prompt response to my complaint regarding this film batch and a replacement box is on the way.

Scott Whitford
8-Oct-2009, 16:27
Jim,

How did you get in touch with Ilford? I had the same problem with a batch of HP5+ several months ago, but gave up trying to contact them after several calls went unanswered and unreturned.

Scott

Jim Michael
8-Oct-2009, 17:41
There was a contact link at the top of their home page.

s/loop/loupe/g; #sheesh

Mike1234
8-Oct-2009, 17:50
"Puzzling scratches"? Why are you assembling puzzles on your films? No wonder they're scratched.

Okay... sorry. I don't intend to make light of your problem. I just couldn't help myself.