PDA

View Full Version : Spot Meter

Pawlowski6132
5-Oct-2009, 07:01
Any thoughts on a dedicated spot meter vs. gettingthe spot meter adapter for a Sekonic L358?

thanx much!

BrianShaw
5-Oct-2009, 07:11
I use both a dedicated spot meter and an adapter (for LunaPro). There really isn't much to say except the spot meter is big and the adapter is one more thing to carry. Both approaches work just fine. The most important thing is ensuring that one or the either is with you when you need/want to spot meter.

BarryS
5-Oct-2009, 07:48
Until very recently, I used the L-358 as my primary meter and also carried a separate spot meter. I got tired of carrying two meters and looked into the spot attachment vs. buying an L-758DR. Even though I love the L-358, I was concerned about having to constantly swap attachments, so I went with the L-758DR. The L-758DR is bulky, so I guess there's no perfect solution.

Pawlowski6132
5-Oct-2009, 08:12
Thank you for your comments. I'm leaning towards the L-358 with the attachment. Cost being the primary driver assuming performance is at least close which, I assume it is. At leat for an amateur's needs.

Do you have any thoughts on getting the 1degree vs. the 5degree?

jbenedict
5-Oct-2009, 08:35
I really, really, really like my spot meter (Pentax Digital). I have found myself using an averaging meter and being nervous that I wasn't really finding out what was in the scene.

I guess I was trained with a spot meter and that's what I'm used to. The Pentax Digital is really expensive but I figure I only have to buy it once. If the spot meter attachment for the Luna-Pro really acts like a spot meter, I'd go for it.

BrianShaw
5-Oct-2009, 08:36
Do you have any thoughts on getting the 1degree vs. the 5degree?

After using both... I prefer the 5 degree. But I'm not as "scientific" as other are.

BrianShaw
5-Oct-2009, 08:38
If the spot meter attachment for the Luna-Pro really acts like a spot meter, I'd go for it.

It doesn't... exactly, but it approximates one. The Luna Pro adapter is 5/15 degree.

BarryS
5-Oct-2009, 08:40
Definitely go with the 1 degree attachment. If you're going to be measuring the dynamic range of an image and precisely placing values, you'll need a very narrow reading angle.

ki6mf
5-Oct-2009, 08:46
Ditto on BarryS comment! For zone use the 1 degree spot, whether its a digital or older analog meter, is the only way to go. I happen to have both an 30 year old Pentax V and a Sekonic 758 DR and they both work well. I have a few friends with prior versions of the Sekonic spot meter and those all work well too!

pocketfulladoubles
5-Oct-2009, 11:07
My old LunaPro F has a 7.5* and 15* attachment and I often find myself needing a 1* spot meter. I can't imagine 5* will be sufficient.

BrianShaw
5-Oct-2009, 12:26
My old LunaPro F has a 7.5* and 15* attachment ...

So does mine. :o I goofed in my earlier post when I said it was 5 and 15 degrees.

Aahx
5-Oct-2009, 12:48
I have the L-358 with the 1 degree spot attachment and it is a bit bulky with it attached. I have the L-758DR at work, and though bigger than the L-358 without attachment, the L-358 with attachment becomes larger and bigger than the L-758DR. Though what I use now in the field is my Pentax digital, and keep the L-358 at home for studio/product work. As the Pentax will not take flash readings, if I ever purchase a portable lighting set up for field work I may have to invest in a L-758DR as well for the kit to keep it small. Anyway, I brought that up just in case you are considering an alternative to the adapter for your L-358.

john collins
5-Oct-2009, 14:52
A sekonic 508 zoom & later versions will give you both zoom spot down to 1 degree and ambient readings.

Joseph O'Neil
6-Oct-2009, 07:51
Having gone through several meters over the years of various types and styles (including sekonics, which I think are very nice meters), I now own 3 Pentax, analog spot meters. Almost bulletproof (unless you drop one in a river, which I have done :( ), very easy to use. Bear in mind i shoot almost exclusively B&W, so if most of your shooting is colour, the sekonic might be the better choice.

joe

neil poulsen
7-Oct-2009, 02:19
I'd prefer a half-degree spot meter, but I get by pretty well with a 1-degree Pentax (analog) V spot meter.

Drew Wiley
7-Oct-2009, 10:39
Well, I did drop my Pentax meter in a creek last week, so had to estimate exposures
based upon memory, but they all came out perfect. The meter dried out fine and is
working again, and same as my other meters. I find the Pentax digital spotmeter hard
to replace. Lightweight and very fast to operate. Prefer the simple dial method of
placing values to the readout variety, although if there is a number two choice out
there, for me it would be the Minolta spotmeter F. I use spotmeters for everything,
including 35mm work.