PDA

View Full Version : Lots of grain, lots of contrast

David Michael Bigeleisen
4-Oct-2009, 14:13
Most people who visit this forum try to have images as sharp and finely grained as possible.

I have a I want to photograph a fish with prominent scales on tabletop. I would like the final print to look a little bit like a woodblock or linoleum print. Does anyone have suggestions for lots of grain and lots of contrast?

David

EdWorkman
4-Oct-2009, 15:01
shoot 35mm eastern europe 400 film
bracket from 2 under to 2 stops over
overdevelope 50% in HC 110
try to find a frame you can print thru

Mark Sawyer
4-Oct-2009, 15:03
You might also move the negative from hot water to ice-cold water to cause reticulation.

jnantz
4-Oct-2009, 15:28
look for some tech pan film
and shoot it at 200 and process it in print developer ..
hmm that will give you contrast but no grain ...

nevermind ...

Ron Marshall
4-Oct-2009, 15:51
Overexpose HP5 then semi-stand in Rodinal.

Glenn Thoreson
4-Oct-2009, 17:07
Tri-X in Rodinal, shaken like a martini might do it. I don't know what format you're using but Ilford 3200 pushed to 6400 in Rodinal or PMK would surely give you lots of grain. Contrast is the easy part. Jusy over develop a bit. I've seen Tri-X pushed to 12,500 but it's been so long ago I can't remember how it looked.

ic-racer
4-Oct-2009, 18:15
You might want to try Lith printing.

Bill_1856
4-Oct-2009, 18:56
Dektol

Roger Thoms
4-Oct-2009, 20:15
I was going to suggest Lith printing, but ic-racer beat me to it. I don't have any experience, but just got Tim Rudman's book, The World of Lith printing which has many fine examples of extreme grain.
Roger

Brian Ellis
5-Oct-2009, 08:05
In Photoshop just adjust the curve for the contrast you want, then the noise filter for the grain you want. If you don't use Photoshop take it to a lab that does and tell them what you want. That way you don't lock yourself into a negative that may or may not print like you want it to print.

Ari
5-Oct-2009, 09:33
Use infrared film without the red filter, and overprocess by one stop. Shoot the photo at the desired focal length but take two or three steps back from where you normally would have shot it.
In the darkroom you will have a large crop to do and use a high contrast filter.
You can do this with a regular high-speed film also, like Delta 3200.

Toyon
5-Oct-2009, 11:47
You might also move the negative from hot water to ice-cold water to cause reticulation.

Reticulation may result in reticulation patterns that are different from standard grain.

percepts
5-Oct-2009, 13:05
Ilford delta 3200 deved in strong rodinal ( 1:25 or stronger ) will defintely do it for you.
Or dev in a print developer but it may be toooo grainy.

Don't have times for it but you can experiment.

Ed Pierce
7-Oct-2009, 03:12
Maybe going digital is your best bet on this one.