PDA

View Full Version : Rodinal experts needed!

joeyrsmith
3-Oct-2009, 18:41
Quick question on your agitation schemes? Is it sustible to heavy or easy schemes?
I tray process 4x5.
Testing it out with arista edu 100.
Also thinking about PMK Pyro.
I just cant get Diafine to work properly (streaks in sky/water) even with the great advice I received recently.
My work is mostly sky/water/sand.
Scanning and digital out only.
Thx for any input.
Joey

IanG
4-Oct-2009, 12:58
Fomapan films are quite different to others, they build up contrast quickly, so you need to be very careful with agitation, make it as even as possible regardless of the developer.

Ian

77seriesiii
7-Oct-2009, 13:08
I agree w/ Ian on the aspect that Foma builds contrast fast. I use pyrocat hd in a stand development for this film. I am using 1:1:150 and about to change up for a different solution strength. With Rodinal, expect similar behavior.

Erick

venchka
7-Oct-2009, 13:21
Countless folks at the Rangefinder Forum advocate gentle, sparse agitation for Rodinal. To the point of letting film sit in Rodinal for 1 or 2 hours without any agitation at all. I have a friend who swears by 35mm Agfa APX 100, Rodinal 1:100, 20 minutes, agitation every 3 minutes. I personally tried 1:100 and 1 hour stand for some 120 PanF+. That worked nicely.

YMMV.

Dennis
7-Oct-2009, 20:35
I often process the foma 100 in Rodinal 1-50 in trays and don't have a problem with streaks. I do maximum 4 sheets at a time and use the shuffle method.

ic-racer
8-Oct-2009, 16:42
I have been using a lot of Arista.edu 100 lately. I use T-max developer.

In terms of "builds contrast quickly" I can agree by stating my experience. For the same development time, compared to other films (T-max, FP4+), the Arista.edu gives a higher gamma. I am currently using only 4.5 minutes and get a gamma around 0.65 to 0.70.

joeyrsmith
8-Oct-2009, 17:03
Thx all for the replies.
The more I play with Rodinal, the more I like it.