PDA

View Full Version : Accessory for Right Angle Mounting of a 4x10

eric black
3-Oct-2009, 17:31
I like shooting tall (vertical) panoramas and am wondering how to do this with my 4x10 Canham camera which is really set up only to shoot horizontally. I can flop the camera over to the side 90 degrees with my tripod head, but this seems a bit unstable at times and Im wondering if there are any commercially available devices to circumvent this type of positioning. What I am looking for is some kind of bracket that can be used to hold the camera on top of the head in the vertical postion. I am aware of the Gitzo G541 (anyone have any experience with this for this type of application?) but it doesnt seem a solution to my desire. Currently Im guessing that i might need to have a custom bracket made but if there is something commercially available, Id rather go that route. Suggestions?

Mike1234
3-Oct-2009, 17:43
I read a post somewhere... the guy made an "L" bracket out of aluminum stock. He mounted the short leg of the bracket to the tripod head and mounted the camera to the long leg. I would think the addition of an inner offset to the "L" shape in order to center the camera over the tripod mount would be beneficial... but maybe centering can be done without the extra bend... dunno.

venchka
3-Oct-2009, 20:49
RRS makes L-brackets for small cameras up to the Pentax 6x7. Their catlog may give you ideas. I think they sell a clamp to make a custom L-bracket from two macro rails.

Paul O
4-Oct-2009, 00:10
I'm positive that Lotus View Camera made this type of bracket for their cameras?

eric black
4-Oct-2009, 05:09
Thanks guys, more places to look and research

GPS
4-Oct-2009, 05:26
Alternatively, you can make DIY a small device/bracket to put on your tripod so that your camera will not have the tendency to turn on the tripod head when you flip it 90°as you do. It would be the most advantageous solution from a weight point of view.

Bill_1856
4-Oct-2009, 05:36
Drill and tap a hole in the side of your camera to hold it on the tripod (like a Speed Graphic).

Mike1234
4-Oct-2009, 11:11
The one I posted about doesn't flip. It's just a simple "L" bracket... easy, easy... and no need to mount it unless you need it.

Bill has a good idea but I think I would drill at least two holes and mount a permanent piece there to accept the tripod screw... because that much weight/torque on one screw might be pushing your luck.

verney
4-Oct-2009, 11:37
Manfrotto makes couple of versions for certain Manfrotto quick release systems but they are probably too small for a 4x10-camera.

http://www.manfrotto.com/Jahia/site/manfrotto/pid/3219?livid=107&lsf=107&child=5
http://www.manfrotto.com/Jahia/site/manfrotto/pid/3218?livid=107&lsf=107&child=5

Should be easy to make one yourself.

Mike1234
4-Oct-2009, 11:46
Verney... wouldn't those be just a bit too short? Maybe not... dunno...

Colin Graham
4-Oct-2009, 17:33
Here's one that Lotus makes- http://www.lotusviewcamera.at/subs/1sub_accessories_e.html. I think that's an 8x20 in the picture, so it might be overkill for a 4x10.

I made a knock off out of 80/20 (http://stores.shop.ebay.com/8020-Inc-Garage-Sale__W0QQ_armrsZ1) parts for a 5x12. The 1"x2" aluminum extrusions (10 series) with the joining plates are plenty strong enough if you decide to build one. Very simple to make, the only tricky part was mortising a 3/8-16 thread hex-sided coupling nut into the extrusion for mounting on the tripod screw. The coupling nut is as long as the extrusion is thick, and is secured from above with a short 3/8-16 matching bolt and a lock washer.

Mike1234
4-Oct-2009, 17:44
Colin... that's a NICE one... very sturdy!!

Colin Graham
4-Oct-2009, 18:02
That extrusion stuff really is amazing for its weight. I stood on the corner of the bracket to test the joint's strength and didn't flex it or otherwise tax the joining plates at all. (I weigh 230.) The bracket itself weighs under 3 lbs. The camera I was using it for was around 11-14lbs, depending on lens.

Mike1234
4-Oct-2009, 18:47
I'm stealing this design. :)

R Mann
5-Oct-2009, 01:55
That extrusion stuff really is amazing for its weight. I stood on the corner of the bracket to test the joint's strength and didn't flex it or otherwise tax the joining plates at all. (I weigh 230.) The bracket itself weighs under 3 lbs. The camera I was using it for was around 11-14lbs, depending on lens.

Great idea - looks like it would do the job and be easy to build. How are you attaching the camera to the bracket - in the photo it looks like you have two knobs? Are these special hardware items?

Colin Graham
5-Oct-2009, 05:28
I used 2 1/4-20 knobs (McMaster-Carr (http://www.mcmaster.com/#aluminum-knobs/=3xdjkz)) because I was unsure at the time if the weight of the camera would make it tilt inadvertently, but in hindsight it might be nice to have a single pivot there if you wanted to have a more centered tilt...On the other hand, it might be hard to make it stong enough without scuffing up the camera in use.

I fished a couple of speed nuts (those flat rectangle nuts that look like they're stamped out of carbon steel, the shape keeps them from spinning freely) into the central hollow area of the extrusion and threaded the knobs through them. That allows them to be unscrewed from the camera and re-tightened into the bracket itself. That way they don't get lost when the camera isn't mounted, and they don't rattle around and drive me nuts when hiking. But there is quite a bit of play in the knobs when they are fully loosened, which make it easier to attach the camera.

eric black
5-Oct-2009, 09:27
thanks Colin- I think Ill probably be making something similar as well