PDA

View Full Version : Focus on a V700

Greg Gibbons
2-Oct-2009, 13:49
There isn't much of a technique for focusing a V700, other than trial and error, as near as I can tell.
Has anyone tried tilting the negative carrier, by setting one pair of feet at "+" and the other pair either at "0" or removed completely, and then doing a scan to see which section looks best?

Brian_A
3-Oct-2009, 21:00
No, but I don't use the standard holders. I like the BetterScanning ones because you can adjust them very finely.

Sascha Welter
5-Oct-2009, 04:28
In a German forum site someone suggested putting a yardstick (dunno if that's the proper word in English) on the glass of the scanner, with something to lift one side of it. With a testscan you could then deduce from the piece of the scale that is in focus and some trigonometry where exactly the scanner focusses. Haven't got a scanner yet, so haven't tried it.

ljsegil
5-Oct-2009, 04:38
Additional questions: Will the optimal focus point be the same for transmissive vs reflective copying, and might use of the film area guide versus a film holder also influence optimal focusing?
Larry

Doug Fisher
5-Oct-2009, 18:16
No, because with the V7xx you would be using two different lenses with those different scanning materials.

The film area guide is necessary for calibration but will not affect the focus point.

Doug
---
www.BetterScanning.com